PDA

View Full Version : How to dampen the noise of water splashing from AC 110 filters?

reef boss
09-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Long story short, my new roomate is *****ing about the noise the water makes coming out the filter. I have two 110s on standard 55, no top. Anyone know how to dampen or stop the waterfall sound the filters make. i dont have the time to top off the tank everday or buy an automatic top off, so it would have to be something i can do to mod the filter, or add a top to the tank to stop evap

thanks in advance

Phillydubs
09-21-2016, 11:59 PM
You basically answered your own question here... Toss a top on there for one...

How often are you changing water ...?

Is your tank in a warmer room where it looses water fast...? I mean I do daily to ebey other day WC and I am notorious for filling my tank to the brim each time. The water level is so high the filter flows right into the tank water and then I have a top as well. I don't hear a thing and I sit right next to it...

Or you could tell your roomie to chill and enjoy the zen vibes of the water trickling ;) lol

Ryan925
09-22-2016, 12:32 AM
Raise water level is the easiest

Disgirl
09-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Here is something I found that works. Get some polyester quilt batting, sold at WalMart in the fabric section. Same stuff as lots of filters use. Cut the right width to go inside your filter, and have it hang into the tank. The waterfall will fall down the batting and enter the tank water with no sound at all. It works great. I have done this when I had the tank water level way down to treat with metro, for a few fish in a big tank, less water to treat. The long piece of batting hanging down into the water from the filter way at the top, made all the noise almost gone. Try it and let me know how it works.
Barb

Altum Nut
09-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Agree with all the above but will add another...there is no need for 2 x AC-110 in a 55 g.

...Ralph

Phillydubs
09-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Ralph, is that because it is just extra water movement. Once an established filter is there, the second one becomes sort of unnecessary?

I had this question lately myself with my own 55 and got some mixed feedback but it seemed that it wasn't going to do much but move extra water...

I always remember way back in my African cichlid days people would say there is no such thing as too much filtration, which I guess is true but if it becomes the same as what is there then it is a waste of $

If you could expand a bit more I would appreciate it!

Altum Nut
09-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Ralph, is that because it is just extra water movement. Once an established filter is there, the second one becomes sort of unnecessary?

I had this question lately myself with my own 55 and got some mixed feedback but it seemed that it wasn't going to do much but move extra water...

I always remember way back in my African cichlid days people would say there is no such thing as too much filtration, which I guess is true but if it becomes the same as what is there then it is a waste of $

If you could expand a bit more I would appreciate it!

Those AC-110's are rated for 60g to 110g and would think it would damper noise with just one. Two of them are over-kill.
For Discus I would add a sponge filter just to seed if it's needed for another tank or when cleaning the AC-110.
African's love the water current and know people who also throw in a power-head or two.
Many Discus keepers would just resort to two sponge filters or even one for that 55g as being sufficient filtration.

...Ralph