PDA

View Full Version : Is there a phone camera app that will measure?

RogueDiscus
09-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Just throwing this out there. An app for a hungry developer.
I bet it's possible to write an app that takes an image from your phone, like a fish and it's surroundings, and can measure the length of the fish. I'm an old guy with minimal iphone/app skills, but just had the idea. Maybe there's already something like that out there?

Ryan925
09-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Not a bad idea. Wonder how well it could work. I know from further away my fish look smaller but with my face to the glass they look much larger.

I've seen on tv where they have a camera that projects two laser pointers to measure large Marine animals like sharks and whales. Pretty cool

Could always just stick a measuring tape to your glass and snap a pic as fish swim by LOL

brewmaster15
09-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Its a tough call. It would be challenging because of the varying distances and how the fish moves..

I used to use a program in the lab called NIHImaging... https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/
Its an old program but was really amazing for its uses. I would use it to measure the area of various things in digital images. . Its Pc,mac or linux. Id bet with a little work it could be used for something like this.

.If you had a reference point that you could measure and calibrate against ,such as a lighted circle or laser light shown on the fish...then you could reference against and then compare to the size of the fish in the image.... it should work.

Al