PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this club?

rdub
09-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Is there no way to have an active club here in So Cal?

brewmaster15
09-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Is there no way to have an active club here in So Cal?

Getting these clubs going and maintaining them is a bit of challenge and their participation can increase and decrease over time. Usually the thing that makes the difference is when the club has someone pushing for meetings and organizing them, motivating people. Maybe try hosting a small get togther to get the fires stoked up again?

al

Larry Bugg
09-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Al beat me to it. He and I were talking about this just the other day. What usually happens is there is one person who sets everything up and organizes. If that person doesn't do it then it just doesn't happen. I can tell you this from experience, lol. Organize and plan it and they will come.

rdub
09-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Do we need special speakers to draw people in? If so, where do we get them?

brewmaster15
09-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Honestly speakers are good if you have any local to you but I would focus on just getting together informally first. Cook outs are a great ice breaker and if you have a few members in the area with fishrooms, tours are always a big draw.

al

Wes
09-24-2016, 01:00 PM
rdub take a look through a couple http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?308-The-MidWest-Discus-Association-(MWDA) threads. It shows how we started up to doing the Nada show.

Spike Cover
10-15-2016, 11:06 PM
I like the idea of just getting a group together for some socializing. If Al and/or Rick are there, I'd certainly be okay w/o a speaker. I'd just pick their brains <g>. I'd offer my place but I'm probably not centrally located and I don't have any discus yet. I do have a koi pond and a couple of tiny aquariums (and a hole in our cabinets for a discus tank). But again, I'd like to just get together and chit chat with other fish geeks. Maybe Rick can talk someone who's more centrally located into hosting it and we can all bring something (pot luck style). It doesn't have to be a big deal.

Spike

Guppy
11-08-2016, 07:49 PM
I've been and currently do a lot of organizing with car events but I don't think I'm suitable for discus meets since I'm new to discus lol. I have a decent sized Instagram page for a car club I started, that could possibly help get more local people that are interested? My car club Instagram name is: @team_subaru15 if you guys want to see what I'm talking about