PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Fluvial 406?

reef boss
09-24-2016, 03:22 PM
I need superior filtration for a 55 gallon with 4 large goldfish. Might be able to pick up a 406 for $100.
I have not used a canister in a while, and have no idea whats the best on the market these days. could you guys chime in on the 406, or recommend a better filter you have personally used. I've been using AC 110's for years, but need a quieter filter bc of roommate issues.

thanks in advance

cedar
09-24-2016, 03:33 PM
I have 2 fluval 406 and one 306 running on my 125g and I like them. I have put the black sponges that come with it on the bottom and then poly fill floss in the next 2 and then the bio media. seems to be working for me anyway. :)

Bc chick
09-24-2016, 03:42 PM
i have one running my 65gallon

atlantadiscus
09-24-2016, 05:56 PM
I prefer the Eheims,but Fluval is right up there with Eheim IMO.Way,Way better than most of the junk sold nowadays like SunSun,Aquatop,etc.

Altum Nut
09-24-2016, 07:07 PM
I've heard some good reviews on the Fluval 406 from friends even though I run Ehiem 2217 Classics. Just make sure you check the impeller or have seller fill canister with water and run it in a bucket. If it sounds good to your ears your good to go. If it also comes with quick connect shut-off valves on both in and out hoses even better.

...Ralph

Ryan925
09-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I prefer the Eheims,but Fluval is right up there with Eheim IMO.Way,Way better than most of the junk sold nowadays like SunSun,Aquatop,etc.

I agree stay away from those generic brands. Fluval or eheim. I went from a fluval G6 to an eheim pro 4+. Personally I prefer the eheim. I've heard of fluvals having some leaking issues.

I agree with Ralph. Make sure the seller operates it for you before you commit to buy

MD.David
09-25-2016, 10:29 PM
406 is a good filter, lots of sucking and pushing power, you need to stay on top of cleaning your filter if your going to use a canister, make sure you use a prefilter!... And clean it every week or you will build a nitrite bomb.
I personally only use sponge filters but everyone likes to play with gadgets from time to time.

Cheers.

atlantadiscus
09-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Thats a little extreme.....I ran a Eheim 2217 on a Discus tank for over 10 years in the past,changing out the mechanical filtering floss 1x per month......never had anything close to a bomb,nor explosion of nitrates in my tank.

Willie
10-23-2016, 10:46 PM
I just gave up on the Fluval 406 for my 110 album tank. It works great until you have to clean it. It was taking me 2 - 3 hours each time to restart it. After fussing over it for 4 hours yesterday, it's going to the fish club auction.

Willie

Ryan925
10-23-2016, 10:59 PM
Thats a little extreme.....I ran a Eheim 2217 on a Discus tank for over 10 years in the past,changing out the mechanical filtering floss 1x per month......never had anything close to a bomb,nor explosion of nitrates in my tank.
ATL you are always the voice of reason my friend.

Canisters are not as much maintenance as some would have you believe.

I run an eheim pre filter on mine. I wash prefilter with each wc. Maybe once a month dunk my media baskets in a 5G of tank water.

Minutes really....

Davidzil
10-24-2016, 10:54 AM
I have one with pre-filter on 75gl, easy to use, quite, just keep spare parts, and make sure to lube the seal every time you clean it.
Easy prime, just let gravity fill it up, pump a couple times and plug it in and done.

tonytheboss1
11-08-2016, 09:31 PM
I've been using AC 110's for years, but need a quieter filter bc of roommate issues.

No exp w/ Fluval 406 (I run Eheim 2075 & Rena-Filstar XP4 cans) but my AC 500's (yes they are that old! lol) have given me quiet service for a lot of years. Keep the water level high, the flow low & the impeller clean & it should whisper. Both mine have for better than a decade. Broke one & bent another so both impellers have been replaced but because I keep them clean, the motor doesn't strain, just hums along. Something to think about. "T"