PDA

View Full Version : 65Gal Tall Tank

asteve70
10-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, being new to Simply Discus and being some what new (last tank was 40 years ago), I'm getting back into it and love discus and have had them in the past. My question is...I have a 65 gal tall tank (36"x18"x21" and have heard that it's not quite big enough to keep discus. I would only have 4 to 5 discus, and some much smaller fish. any thoughts on this?

Ryan925
10-02-2016, 05:46 PM
I think most people will say a 55 is minimum although they would prefer width to height. I don't see why you couldn't keep a group of 5 in that tank imo.

Just like any other tank as long as you keep up with maintenance and proper wc regime

asteve70
10-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks Ryan925, I watched a few youtube vids that suggested at least a 75 gal tank and larger would be better which kinda bumed me out a little. So seeing your post to me helped a lot. Thanks

Ryan925
10-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks Ryan925, I watched a few youtube vids that suggested at least a 75 gal tank and larger would be better which kinda bumed me out a little. So seeing your post to me helped a lot. Thanks

Of course more room is better but I believe there are many members here with 55s. Personally I have 7 in a 75. I'd def not go with any less than 5 discus though.

Altum Nut
10-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Hello Steven and welcome back to the Discus addiction. My friend..if that's all you have on hand I also agree with Ryan 5 Discus would do perfectly fine. One of my tanks have 5 x 6" adults and is a 65 g tall bare bottom running just under 2 yrs now with no issues.
I will only add that getting quality Discus would be a great start so check out one of the various sponsors on board...the variety is endless.

...Ralph

Filip
10-03-2016, 04:06 AM
Welcome back to your long forgotten passion Steven :).
65 galon tank IMO would be more than enough to keep 6 fullgrown discus in it .
Just be sure to read the begginer sections stickies here on the forum before you buy them and take the plunge with discus . It would be also great to watch the +1 hour long discus video presentation from the owner of SD , since its very informative and useful .
Picking the right source to purchase healthy and quality discus is also essential for your success in keeping discus.
Good luck with your start .