PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my first discus tank. Filtration help?

Sydneypedersen
10-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Hey guys!! I just got finished up restoring a 125 gallon acrylic tank I found on Craigslist. I've been dreaming of discus but with my 29 gallon tank knew it wasn't a possibility, but with my new pretty 6 ft tank am ready for the challenge!

I am not going to do a bare bottom tank. I do not like the way they look and am also a bit of a neat freak when it comes to my tank anyways so it will be clean. The substate I'm going to use is pool filter sand. I'm going to plant with some Anubias (probably spelled that wrong), and have spider wood. I'm probably going to get a school of Cory cats to cycle the tank for a month or two before I get any discus, and I'm thinking only 7 discus.

Anyways, to my question. I want everything to be internal with this tank. It's a lot of water and I don't want anything happening that could flood my bedroom... and I'm thinking about sponge filters. I'm not sure what sizes to get! Would 2 sponges rated for 80 gallons work? I want to do powerheads with them to cut down the noise level over an air pump, and the best I can find is about 450 GPH. Would 2 80 gallon sponges, each with 450 GPH powerheads, be enough filtration? I want to do everything right!
Also, does a UV sterilizer add any benefit for discus?
Thank you!

Ardan
10-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Hi
Use the big hydrosponges and it should be sufficient.
hth
Ardan

Filip
10-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Hello!!!! I recently bought an old beat up acrylic 125 off craigslist and now that I finally have it restored, want to start the process of setting it up and cycling it. I've been wanting discus for a while now but my current tank is a 29 gal and just not suited for them, but this new tank is going to be a 6ft discus show tank!

So about the new tank. I am not going to have it bare bottom, I am going to use pool filter sand as a substrate. I am a neat freak when it comes to dirty sand and am going to have powerbeads to keep everything circulating to avoid dead areas and detritus accumulation. I am also going to have a few plants in there, mainly anubias, and spider wood for decor. I am most likely going to put a school of cory cats in to cycle the tank for a month or two, and help with the sand, before I even get any discus.

Anyways, to my question. I want everything to be internal with this tank. It's a lot of water and I'm always worried I'm going to flood my upstairs bedroom (lol) and am thinking about going with sponge filters. I have found sponge filters rated for 80 gallon tanks, and was thinking two of them could be good? Also I will be running them with power heads to cut the noise level over that of an air pump, and have found 450 GPH power heads to go with the sponge filters.
So, will 2 80 gallon sponge filters, each fitted with a 450 GPH powerhead, provide enough filtration for this tank?

This is my first post and thank you in advance! :)
Sydney

Hi Sydney and welcome to the forum .
ill adress couple of points from your text:

1. if you buy baby discus its preferable to start barebottom , but if you dislike it that much go with very thin layer of PFS and vacuum it regulary .
2. Watch out for strong currents and circulation since discus prefer calm water movement. Aim for a max of 6-7 tank volumes per hour when estimating powerheads current.
3. Attach anubias on the wood not in the sand for an easier sand siphoning and try to put less wood laying on the sand because of the same reason .
4. Its advisable to get the discus first and by themselves in order to avoid potential cross contamination issues . After a couple of months you can add other fish , but only with a proper quarantine procedure .
5. Two of the biggest size sponge filters should suffice if you change enough water regulary.
6. The oppinions for using UV sterilizer and its effectivness vary amongst the users here . I lean more towards the crowd who beleve that UV is helpfull addition to filtration and it keeps the pathogens from the water column in check . That is if you buy a strong and pricey 80 watt 3 feet long UV for your tankage.

Good luck with your start and keep us posted .

atlantadiscus
10-04-2016, 03:04 PM
A high quality UV sterilizer,properly sized and running with the correct flow to provide level 1 or level 2 sterilization will provide positive benefits in the health of all fish.Many {most?} of those who have tried uv and have neutral to negative impressions on their effectiveness have either undersized the unit to their tank volume,had the flow through the unit too fast to provide the needed dwell time,failed to keep up with bulb changes,or fell for one of the many low priced "toys" sold as sterilizers that are in reality,junk.

90% of the low price "green killing machines",Jaebo,sunsun,aquatop,etc seen all over ebay and amazon are ineffective and incapable of providing true level 1 or 2 sterilization,and at best,may keep your water a tiny bit clearer from floating algae,at least until they break-as they are cheaply made to sell for the lowest price to attract the uneducated consumer.

If you are looking for true sterilization,not just "clearer" water,It will cost you to purchase a high quality,effective unit.I would look at the Emperor brand {made by Pentair} and also the Aqua-Ultraviolet brand,probably the 2 highest quality,long term manufacturers of sterilizers made for aquariums/ponds out there,both with 30+ years of experience cranking out high quality sterilizers with ongoing parts support.

FishFanMan
10-04-2016, 10:53 PM
I don't think sponge filters can handle that much flow through them

Ryan925
10-04-2016, 11:02 PM
I don't think sponge filters can handle that much flow through them

I have no experience with sponge filters as I run a canister. Don't really see any risk of a flood with a canister unless it isn't assembled properly but I get your point.

I use a hydrofarm air pump for my air stone and it is extremely quiet. They make them in various different outlet numbers and have a really nice large adjustment knob on top.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002JPEVMC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475636428&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=hydrofarm+air+pump&dpPl=1&dpID=41%2BAG3UDFIL&ref=plSrch

Hopefully those with experience with sponges will chime in and give you some advice.

Only 7 discus in a 125 will be really under stocked so you should be able to manage water quality and bio load fairly easily I would think. I have 7 in my 75

FishFanMan
10-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Actually like you I've been thinking of in tank system too. I'm looking at modifying a Hamburg Matten Filter or a type of filtration used in all in one reef tanks.

MD.David
10-05-2016, 07:39 PM
You must have your tank cycles first before you introduce any fish!
(So many make this mistake the first time around, I hope you don't).
You sponge filter only, (2 large sponge filters either xy380 or ATI hydro #5), two of either type of sponge will be perfect for your tank.
Do NOT use power heads totally not necessary and an air pump will not only make the sponge filter work but will also give very needed aeration to the water.
Substrate: pool filter sand is ok, however till you understand how much you need to clean it and do water changes just go bare bottom for the first 6 months so you get a feel for tank hygiene and how you fish act when they are stressed.
Water changes: you must MUST MUST MUST do water changes, I can't tell you how many times I see junior members posting sick fish and there water change regime is 20% twice a week, when it comes to WC more is always better then not enough.
Understand water parameters: you must understand how the nitrogen cycle works, study it, understand how it keeps your water not toxic, but also you need to understand how important water changes are to the discus health.
Buying discus: buy your discus from a sponsor on Simply Discus is you can and if you can't you need to make sure they are not sick, a lot of local fish stores sell sick fish all day long and have no clue, also do not buy from different sources, buy a group and that's it, do not add here and there you will for sure disease your tank!
In closing I will leave you with this;
The discus fish is challenging to keep (this is why they call them the king of the aquarium), if you can master the discus you can keep anything. But they also call them that because the fish is so encaptivating, so such an extent that the ancient mayan people's use to believe they have a soul and they would sacrifice discus fish in place of humans because the Mayans believed the Discus possessed soul that was equal to humans.
Keep them clean and keep them healthy, they will reward you for many many years.

Ps:what is more important? The health of your discus or the appears?
Do some soul searching and make the right decision.

Cheers and welcome!
:)

Hey guys!! I just got finished up restoring a 125 gallon acrylic tank I found on Craigslist. I've been dreaming of discus but with my 29 gallon tank knew it wasn't a possibility, but with my new pretty 6 ft tank am ready for the challenge!

I am not going to do a bare bottom tank. I do not like the way they look and am also a bit of a neat freak when it comes to my tank anyways so it will be clean. The substate I'm going to use is pool filter sand. I'm going to plant with some Anubias (probably spelled that wrong), and have spider wood. I'm probably going to get a school of Cory cats to cycle the tank for a month or two before I get any discus, and I'm thinking only 7 discus.

Anyways, to my question. I want everything to be internal with this tank. It's a lot of water and I don't want anything happening that could flood my bedroom... and I'm thinking about sponge filters. I'm not sure what sizes to get! Would 2 sponges rated for 80 gallons work? I want to do powerheads with them to cut down the noise level over an air pump, and the best I can find is about 450 GPH. Would 2 80 gallon sponges, each with 450 GPH powerheads, be enough filtration? I want to do everything right!
Thank you!

William1
10-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Not so sure about a discus' soul, but if I were Mayan, I would fry the fish before I sacrificed a virgin. Just sayin.

atlantadiscus
10-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Eye roll,yet again.This place is entertaining,at least.