PDA

View Full Version : Duration to grow out juveniles

poolplayer
10-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Hello.

I'm likely going to be purchasing discus at the sizes of 2- 3 due to cost. There is also something to be said for the pride of raising animals from juveniles as well. I'm considering growing them out in a BB tank so I can feed heavily and maximize growth and better maintain pristine water quality while they are growing. How long does it take a discus to be grown out to a size in which they'd be appropriate to go into the display? What size would be a good size to move them and how long does that growth from a 2-3 inch juvenile take?

Thanks in advance!

Filip
10-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Here is a table with an approximative and expected values of an optimal discus growth from the Stendker discus site:

Age and Size Specifications of our Discus Fish:

cm inches

5 cm – 2 months – 2”
6 cm – 3 months – 2.5”
8 cm – 4 months – 3”
10 cm – 6 months – 4”
12 cm – 9 months – 4.5”
14 cm – 12 months – 5.5”
15 cm – 18 months – 6”
17 cm – 24 months – 6.5”

Discus fish, kept in good conditions, can live for up to 15 years and reach sizes of up
to 20 centimetres / 8” in diameter!
They are fully grown at the age of approximately 2 to 2.5 years!
To ensure the steady and stable growth of our discus fish, we recommend continuing
to feed 3 daily meals of our STENDKER Discus Feed.

i would keep them at least for a one year age in BB tank before i transfer them in to a display tank IIWY .

discuspaul
10-04-2016, 02:09 PM
There are no doubt differing opinions as to when a discus reaches 'display' size (your word Jeremy).
I would interpret display size to be adult, or very near adult.
Some would say that would be when the fish reaches at least 5" - many would say it should be closer to 6".
So, a properly grown out 2" discus which is 2 months of age (i.e. bare-bottom tank with large daily water changes and tank cleansing, & multiple daily feedings of nutritious foods) would likely reach 5" to 6" in a further time frame of roughly 6-8 months.

poolplayer
10-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Thank you both! I very much appreciate the guidance!!