PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Problems

Fishes
10-04-2016, 10:06 PM
This doesn't really regard the health of my Discus but more towards the water.

I have this problem with my light simply being too bright and it causes a lot of Algae growth and I can never get clear water. So I thought, why not turn the light off over night? Well when I wake up and turn it on, I guess the light is a bit extra bright? Because they become like, blinded for a while. I just don't exactly know what to do in this situation.

FishFanMan
10-04-2016, 11:20 PM
If you get a LED light, you can buy an inexpensive in line dimmer. That's how I do for my discus and reef tanks. I also have a blue or actinic LED light that I leave on overnight and then turn my main light on. My discus don't freak out when the main light goes on. Very dim blue light though, kind of imitates moomlight?

Ryan925
10-04-2016, 11:31 PM
If you get a LED light, you can buy an inexpensive in line dimmer. That's how I do for my discus and reef tanks. I also have a blue or actinic LED light that I leave on overnight and then turn my main light on. My discus don't freak out when the main light goes on. Very dim blue light though, kind of imitates moomlight?

Exactly. Light shouldn't be on all the time. If your light only has one channel look into getting an inexpensive led moonlight. That way there isn't so much shock when your daytime light comes on.

If you'd like to spend some money buy an led that you can customize the color. Personally so have a finnex planted + 24/7. Since my tank is no longer planted I customize the color to what makes the tank look nor natural and still makes the fish colors pop. At night I change it to a dim moonlight

Filip
10-05-2016, 03:13 AM
Agree with both of the above posters and just want to add that discus prefers dim light , so if you don't have any plants to bother about , you can very well cut your current light power in half if you feel that it is too strong.
Telling what light source and what wattage do you have above what tankage and post ing a pic of your tank , might be also helpful for us to advice you more accurately.

Neptune
10-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Going to ask the obvious question, what kind of light are running now?

Fishes
10-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Guys, when I say this light is too bright, I mean it lol. It's one of those heat lights that you put on a reptile tank.

bluelagoon
10-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Reptile lights have uv rays and will look brighter.Change bulbs to 5000K-6500K.Get a timer $4 and try 8 hours of light.Just regular day light bulbs.

Neptune
10-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Reptile lights have uv rays and will look brighter.Change bulbs to 5000K-6500K.Get a timer $4 and try 8 hours of light.Just regular day light bulbs.

And wire in a 110V dimmer in a junction box. $5.00.

Filip
10-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Guys, when I say this light is too bright, I mean it lol. It's one of those heat lights that you put on a reptile tank.

I'm curious what are this heat reptile lights ?
Metal halides , incandescent bulbs ?
They must have at least wattage and lumen output reference on them.

atlantadiscus
10-05-2016, 06:26 PM

Say what? UV rays have zero to do with "brightness" AKA lumens.

Ryan925
10-05-2016, 07:10 PM

Lol

Reptile lights are high wattage which produces the heat. You could potentially wire this light into a dimmer.

Im sure this light is a terribly inefficient way to light your tank. You could light your tank with a fraction of the electricity imo

Neptune
10-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Lol

Reptile lights are high wattage which produces the heat. You could potentially wire this light into a dimmer.

Im sure this light is a terribly inefficient way to light your tank. You could light your tank with a fraction of the electricity imo

yep you would be much better served to just to to home depot and get a fluorescent shop strip light.

Ryan925
10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
yep you would be much better served to just to to home depot and get a fluorescent shop strip light.

Could probably purchase a decent led with the amount of money saved by no inning this light 24/7. Lol

bluelagoon
10-06-2016, 11:13 AM

Yes,measurements such as Lumens,PAR and Kelvin temp do not measure UV.You can have intense UV light that looks bright,but its Lumen out put could be zero.UV light on a fish tank would be like putting it in direct sunlight.

atlantadiscus
10-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Yes,measurements such as Lumens,PAR and Kelvin temp do not measure UV.You can have intense UV light that looks bright,but its Lumen out put could be zero.UV light on a fish tank would be like putting it in direct sunlight.

Still wrong,no matter how many times you say it.UV does NOT "look bright",period.Ultraviolet light is not visible to the human eye.....spend a few minutes and research it before posting inaccurate information.

bluelagoon
10-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Still wrong,no matter how many times you say it.UV does NOT "look bright",period.Ultraviolet light is not visible to the human eye.....spend a few minutes and research it before posting inaccurate information.

I know I cannot see UV light.Some animals can but humans can't.

bluelagoon
10-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Let me try this again.You could have intense UV light that makes thing fluoresce brightly but its lumen out put would be zero.