PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

pmkappy
10-05-2016, 07:52 PM
I have been doing research for the last 3 months and the amount of information is overwhelming. Hi, I'm getting back into Discus after 50( that's not a typo) years. My name is Paul K.,from Charleston, SC and I'm 72 years old. Here is what I think I want to do. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tank - 75 or 80 or 90g, drilled in back left corner with a weir. I will do an overflow pipe.(Stockman or Durso), I intend to paint the sides and bottom flat black.

Filtration - Sump refugium, 36x18x15(or there abouts. Given the costs I might build it.( I am a retired home biulder and cabinet maker. I have experience with wood and glass). I was going to use Miracle Mud II and Wisteria in the refugium.

Stand - Cabinet that I will build

I would like to do BB with 2 pieces of drift wood with some Java Ferns or Java Moss on the wood. ( I might put a 1/4" of pfs on the bottom).

I would like to put 2, 300w heaters in the refugium and a 500gph return pump. I would like to use LED lights on the tank, I can't hang anything above it. I need suggestions on size and brand.

For wc, a fellow here sells 60g Nylon pickle barrels( food safe) for $20. The tank would be within 3 feet of a window and I can syphon water right into the backyard with no problem. The barrel would be near an outdoor sillcock for refilling. I would need to put an aerator, heater and return pump in the barrel. I could then refill the tank with a switch for the pump near the tank. The winters are mild here so I think this is doable. The summers are brutal, we had 90 days of over 93 degrees. Need suggestions.

I am hopeing to have 6 Discus of 4" and grow them out. I went to several websites and saw some spectacular fish. What do you think of Kennys and Gwynnbrook Farm? Others you like?

I think thats enough for now. I have been researching feeding and have contacted the Techs at my local water company. The water out of the tap is 8.8ph, and 62mg/l. Problems?

Thank you all for your help. Paul K.

MD.David
10-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Hi again,
Ph of 8.8 is very high.
Jorg Stendker has said this:
"You must keep the ph between 6-8 and everything works well, if your ph is higher then 8 the discus does not feel well, If the ph is over 8.5 they (eventually) die."
(Don't mind my paraphrase but if you watch the video you will get the same impression).
Many memebers on SD may have other opinions, and I would like to believe discus can exist in high ph as well, but we must understand and accept that mr.Stendker has access to some of the most leading aquatic scientists. I don't think he is talking threw his hat.
Also painting the back ground black can make the discus Colors wash out, at least I have read other members talk about this, I personally have never seen this, all line are white.
Kenny has great reviews.
I would add a sponge filter (Chinese xy380 or ATI hydro #5) to the tank, just me but I love sponge filters, they filter great and make a great Aerating as well.
Your aging pickle barrel needs a heater in it and an air stone.
During your hot summer your water will still need to be heated, mine are hotter and we still need to heat.

Does your ph swing when you age the water?

I have been doing research for the last 3 months and the amount of information is overwhelming. Hi, I'm getting back into Discus after 50( that's not a typo) years. My name is Paul K.,from Charleston, SC and I'm 72 years old. Here is what I think I want to do. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tank - 75 or 80 or 90g, drilled in back left corner with a weir. I will do an overflow pipe.(Stockman or Durso), I intend to paint the sides and bottom flat black.

Filtration - Sump refugium, 36x18x15(or there abouts. Given the costs I might build it.( I am a retired home biulder and cabinet maker. I have experience with wood and glass). I was going to use Miracle Mud II and Wisteria in the refugium.

I would like to do BB with 2 pieces of drift wood with some Java Ferns or Java Moss on the wood. ( I might put a 1/4" of pfs on the bottom).

I would like to put 2, 300w heaters in the refugium and a 500gph return pump. I would like to use LED lights on the tank, I can't hang anything above it. I need suggestions on size and brand.

For wc, a fellow here sells 60g Nylon pickle barrels( food safe) for $20. The tank would be within 3 feet of a window and I can syphon water right into the backyard with no problem. The barrel would be near an outdoor sillcock for refilling. I would need to put an aerator, heater and return pump in the barrel. I could then refill the tank with a switch for the pump near the tank. The winters are mild here so I think this is doable. The summers are brutal, we had 90 days of over 93 degrees. Need suggestions.

I am hopeing to have 6 Discus of 4" and grow them out. I went to several websites and saw some spectacular fish. What do you think of Kennys and Gwynnbrook Farm? Others you like?

I think thats enough for now. I have been researching feeding and have contacted the Techs at my local water company. The water out of the tap is 8.8ph, and 62mg/l. Problems?

Discus "R" US
10-05-2016, 10:06 PM
Hey Paul.

Welcome to The Simply Discus "Family", and the Worlds Greatest Hobby!

Here on Simply the forum is packed with tons of valuble information on the information your seeking .Our Sponsors and Members here on Simply are always here to help. If you cant find the information your looking for you can always email me discsus@gmail.com, message me here on Simply or call 732-606-7499. I'd Love to help you get started in this amazing Hobby.

James

Ryan925
10-05-2016, 10:27 PM
All good advice given.

All my fish are from Kenny and absolutely more than satisfied. I can't say enough about Kenny and his fish.

Filip
10-06-2016, 04:36 AM

Hi , Paul .

Tank size -the bigger the better but even a 70 g. Would be sufficient for 6 discus .

Do not paint bottom nor sides black . It will darken and dull the blue based discus colours or pepper the PB strain discus fish cause they tend to camouflage with the environment . So White bottom and light coloured sides is my advice .

I wouldn't bother too much about natural approaches of filtration with miracle mud or plants , because discus needs lots of fresh water and frequent WC and this natural No3 filtering is more suitable for more stagnant water tanks with other fish types .
Just put plenty of Bio filter do lots of WCs and be sure to keep the mechanical filter , poop and debris free as posiblle.

BB is an excellent choice for a start , and after a couple of months when your discus grow up a bit you can add the thinb layer of sand .

As for light . Since your not about growing lush plants in it y,you can easily go by with two commercial rigid led stripes with higher wattage on your top(warm white +cool white ).

Your brute can and water storage and WC plan sounds reasonable and workable to me .

Starting with 4 inch discus is a great and safe plan/start for a first time discus keeper .

As for your PH .Try to measure PH straight out of tap , and then after 24 hours ageing with airstone and see the results . Your Ph might very well go down to some extent after ageing . Do that test to reassure the pH values .

Kyla
10-07-2016, 10:21 PM
if i could go back in time i would get an LED which offers the option of dimming the output as desired. i like my LED but its pretty bright and i think the fish would appreciate a dimmer setting. ive seen ppl mention liking finnex (?) brands but i have no experience with them.

i also recommend light painted bottom and sides. ive seen some ppl get fancy with the bottom coat of paint and use a speckled, textured paint that makes the floor of the tank look as tho its sand.

def do the 24hour aeration test on ur tap water to see if that ph drops at all.

i also recommend picking up some controllers for those heaters to act as a fail safe in case they malfunction. i just had a crazy heater malfunction in my aging barrel - the heater boiled the water until it was hot like a jacuzzi tub! a controller will shut off ur heater before this can happen in ur tank. i picked up a plug and play inkbird controller which i really like so far, super easy to set up and use and it has high and low audible temp alarms too.

so cool that u r getting back into discus!

Kyla
10-07-2016, 10:24 PM
i would recommend to start off with BB - u can always add pool filter sand later on once the fish have grown a bit and everything is running smoothly

farebox
10-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Do it, get that tank and start enjoying the hobby. Lot's of good people here at SD with solid advise. Welcome to SD my fellow senior citizen.....

pmkappy
10-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Tank you all for your kind words and great advise. paul K.

Jenene
10-09-2016, 09:34 PM
Kenny is awesome. You can't go wrong with him. Subscribe to his mailing list ahead of time. He gets his preview lists out at the beginning of each month and he sells out so fast! His great reputation proceeds him. These are the most gorgeous, clean, healthy and friendly fish. Kenny is so accessible and will answer any question you can throw at him. You will feel like he is an old friend by the time of shipping. I am a very loyal fan. Can you tell?

Ryan925
10-10-2016, 12:02 AM
if i could go back in time i would get an LED which offers the option of dimming the output as desired. i like my LED but its pretty bright and i think the fish would appreciate a dimmer setting. ive seen ppl mention liking finnex (?) brands but i have no experience with them.

i also recommend light painted bottom and sides. ive seen some ppl get fancy with the bottom coat of paint and use a speckled, textured paint that makes the floor of the tank look as tho its sand.

def do the 24hour aeration test on ur tap water to see if that ph drops at all.

i also recommend picking up some controllers for those heaters to act as a fail safe in case they malfunction. i just had a crazy heater malfunction in my aging barrel - the heater boiled the water until it was hot like a jacuzzi tub! a controller will shut off ur heater before this can happen in ur tank. i picked up a plug and play inkbird controller which i really like so far, super easy to set up and use and it has high and low audible temp alarms too.

so cool that u r getting back into discus!

I have 2 finnex lights and really like them. I have my 24/7 set to a custom color to give the tank a more natural look. I don't need the brightness anymore without plants. I have a finnex stingray also that I just run to make the fish colors pop