PDA

View Full Version : from full blown reeftank to planted discuss tank

Trueblackpercula
10-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Well after years of reefkeeping i can no longer keep up with the battle of acro eating flat worms and everything else that make these tanks thrive.

so i have lots of questions but here are the most important at this time. but before the questions i have a 120 gallon in wall tank that is 30" x 30" x 31" high with plenty of flow (I assume I will need to scale it back LOL as these fish don't need it) I have a drilled tank with overflow that flows into a 35 gallon sump and an jap iwaki pump that returns the water.I have a mitras lx HV 6100 led light fixture that I am sure can grow plants and get great color from the fish. I also have a 300 water heater that I am sure the fish will enjoy the warmer water not like acros. I have lots of other equipment but I do realize that it will be useless for discuss LOL

here are the questions

1. what is a good substrate for a planted tank
2. who should the light cycle be 12 hour 14 hours etc
3. what filtration as I have read so much and don't know what direction to go in as I do have a sump and don't want a canister filter, but what do i add to it
4. I have access to a sink that is close to the tank and have a python to change water weekly or when needed but is this ok? i don't want algae build up and don't want to use RO/DI water as this was getting expensive for the reef tank. in addition is stress coat ok to treat the water
5. from what i have read is CO2 needed or can that wait later down the road?
6. black sand or what sand and when i read about sand is there a special type for freshwater?

this is what i want to achieve >>>> http://blkmav.com/fish/discus4.jpg

thanks
Michael

Ryan925
10-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Well after years of reefkeeping i can no longer keep up with the battle of acro eating flat worms and everything else that make these tanks thrive.

so i have lots of questions but here are the most important at this time. but before the questions i have a 120 gallon in wall tank that is 30" x 30" x 31" high with plenty of flow (I assume I will need to scale it back LOL as these fish don't need it) I have a drilled tank with overflow that flows into a 35 gallon sump and an jap iwaki pump that returns the water.I have a mitras lx HV 6100 led light fixture that I am sure can grow plants and get great color from the fish. I also have a 300 water heater that I am sure the fish will enjoy the warmer water not like acros. I have lots of other equipment but I do realize that it will be useless for discuss LOL

here are the questions

3. what filtration as I have read so much and don't know what direction to go in as I do have a sump and don't want a canister filter, but what do i add to it
4. I have access to a sink that is close to the tank and have a python to change water weekly or when needed but is this ok? i don't want algae build up and don't want to use RO/DI water as this was getting expensive for the reef tank. in addition is stress coat ok to treat the water
6. black sand or what sand and when i read about sand is there a special type for freshwater?

thanks
Michael
I'm sure you will get the same answer from most but the usual suggestion is to tackle a planted tank separatly from a discus tank if this is your first go at discus.

I must say I started out with 6 discus in a heavily planted tank. First try at planted. I slowly removed the plants and the gravel in favor or healthier nicer looking fish. The transformation was almost immediate in the appearance of the fish. They brightened up and have shown much better growth. Was sad to see my plants go but the switch to white sand was a great move.

Sink and python is great as you will likely be doing daily WCs depending on size of fish.

Pool filter sand is the best sand to use.

Co2 is dependent on your amount of light and type of plants.

I ran a 24/7 planted + light and co2

As far as your sump goes you want lots of bio media

Filip
10-10-2016, 04:42 AM

here are the questions

thanks
Michael

Hello Michael and welcome to discus keeping and to this forum.

As Ryan already said ,starting brand new with planted tanks and discus keeping alltogetger is a daunting task .
The only thing that's encouraging in your whole plan was the picture of your desired tank .
That kind of plain and simple layout without many plants can be done with discus but only if you are ready to start with grown up 5-6 inch discus , because raising youngs in that environment for a begginer might be problematic task to do.
Now for your questions:

1. As shown on the pic Pool filter sand would be best option for discus .
2. 12 hours a day would be a good light cycle .
3. Sump is the best option IMO for a filtration , because of the large area to put filter materials and you can customise it according to your needs.
4. RO water is not necesarry for keeping discus .
You can use your tap water but ageing it in a barrel for 24 hours is something you should consider.
And you should change water a lot more than on your reef tank . At least 3 times a week +50% WC. Would be reccomendable IMO.Waterchange is the core of the art of keeping discus .
5. For your desired layout and plants shown on your pic.
You won't need a CO2 unit . Echinodorus plants can thrive without Co2.
6. White PFS - pool filter sand , grain size 0.3.- 0.8 mm, quartz sand silica based is most preferable for discus .

HTH , Michael and good luck with your new journey.
Except for the frequent water changes I think you'll find it much easier than keeping reef tank .

TheRedSpotted
10-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Welcome in Planted tank adventure.
You can have a look on my experience : http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?111542-Planted-Albino-Discus-Tank/page5
You will find some advices regarding substrate and plants in those posts.

Filip gave you good informations on maintenance
1. what is a good substrate for a planted tank : ADA is the best one for roots development, Sand can be used on non planted area because it will clogg as too fine.
2. who should the light cycle be 12 hour 14 hours etc : lights are on from 10.00 to 22.00, 10.00->22.00 : 2*54W; +12.00->20.00 2 others 54W T5 tubes
An external filter similar to EHEIM ones is good enough, canister is better with CO2 as a sump will remove CO2 because of air mixing in down spout
4. I have access to a sink that is close to the tank and have a python to change water weekly or when needed but is this ok? i don't want algae build up and don't want to use RO/DI water as this was getting expensive for the reef tank. in addition is stress coat ok to treat the water:
It depends of tap water quality and strains to be raised in. Low conductivity for wilds <100µs ; <260µs for spotted; 260µs<others<400µs; 400µs<youth
To avoid Algae regular waterchanges 30% 2 to 3 times a week for crowded tanks, if more reasonnable 1 to 2 times a week is OK with 50%
Don't use CO2 immediatly with ADA substrate it is not required, you can wait 2 to 6 month depending on plant quantity
Pool sand is ok but could be brownish, better with Preiss jungle sugar and more natural with ADA La Plata Sand

Enjoy