PDA

View Full Version : beginner!

FishyRobert
10-14-2016, 09:37 AM
:)

I have been reading about discus. OK, I have 5 discus, not too large, in a 40 gallon. getting a 65 gallon this weekend. the new tank will have no plants, no gravel, and a SMALL amount of sand. filter: fluval 406 canister filter and a LARGE sponge filter

LED lights.

change 40% of the water at least 3 times a week. I will have the 5 discus in there.

OK, dumb questions:

1. can I keep my 6 small aeneus catfish and ONE male betta in there? so far, they get along fine.

2. should I REMOVE the carbon from my fluval (possible hole in head disease, caused by carbon????)

3. should I ADD purigen to the fluval.

these would be easy changes.

any other advice? so far, fish are eating and healthy. have had 2 red discus for months, and 3 turquoise about a week.

temp 84 to 85, monitored closely.

pH on my lab meter was about 6.6 to 6.8 or so.

thanks bob

atlantadiscus
10-14-2016, 12:31 PM
carbon causing Hole in the head? Is that myth still going around????

FishyRobert
10-14-2016, 12:39 PM
exactly! as a beginner I do not know what to believe! I am happy to replace carbon with purigen, which I bet would do no harm. do YOU use purigen?

I think that 5 discus in a 65 with fluval filter, large sponge filter, and 40% water changes 3 times a week SHOULD work.
welcome any advice!
best

bob:D

Ryan925
10-14-2016, 01:47 PM
exactly! as a beginner I do not know what to believe! I am happy to replace carbon with purigen, which I bet would do no harm. do YOU use purigen?

I think that 5 discus in a 65 with fluval filter, large sponge filter, and 40% water changes 3 times a week SHOULD work.
welcome any advice!
best

bob:D

From what I read here the general feeling is that carbon is not needed with discus. I've also read that it could potentially irritate their lateral line (not sure about truth on that). Purigen is great and can do no harm. I use purigen in my canister.

As far as your wc frequency that would depend on size of fish. If there were adult then probably ok.

If you are getting smaller fish with growing to do you are going to want to do more frequent larger changes.

Willie
10-14-2016, 04:18 PM
You don't need carbon, you don't need purigen, you just need large and frequent water changes. If you want 6"+ discus, 100% daily is the way to go. The other fish will do okay in the tank, although the betta may not like 80F.

Willie

LizStreithorst
10-14-2016, 04:26 PM
You don't need carbon, you don't need purigen, you just need large and frequent water changes. If you want 6"+ discus, 100% daily is the way to go. The other fish will do okay in the tank, although the betta may not like 80F.

Willie

+1

Filip
10-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Hi Robert ,

1. I would leave the fish along with discus since they are allready together . That is if you like them offcourse :)
2. Most here agree that carbon is not needed .
3. I would add purigen IIWY since you allready make only 3 small WCsa week . So , any additional filtration method is welcomed in your case IMO.
4. Lower the temp. to 82 -83 F for lower metabolism and cleaner water.

So far thats all i can think of :) . If you have any new qts feel free to add them here .

Ryan925
10-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Hi Robert ,

1. I would leave the fish along with discus since they are allready together . That is if you like them offcourse :)
2. Most here agree that carbon is not needed .
3. I would add purigen IIWY since you allready make only 3 small WCsa week . So , any additional filtration method is welcomed in your case IMO.
4. Lower the temp. to 82 -83 F for lower metabolism and cleaner water.

So far thats all i can think of :) . If you have any new qts feel free to add them here .

+1. Just because purigen is "not needed" doesn't mean that it doesn't have benefits for a tank. It surely is not harmful

atlantadiscus
10-14-2016, 09:11 PM
+1. Just because purigen is "not needed" doesn't mean that it doesn't have benefits for a tank. It surely is not harmful

Agree.Same with Activated Carbon too.

Filip
10-14-2016, 09:14 PM

The folks here on SD who says any additional chemical or any other additional filtration is not needed ussualy follow their advice with a"just do 100% daily WCs".
I totaly agree with them on that matter , but for folks who are determined to do 2-3 WCs a week i think any addition to the filtering methods is a thing at least to consider .
By additional filtration or filtration methods i think in general : Purigen , Strong/sufficient UV , Ozone filter ,Twinstar , Drip systems,etc.

Ryan925
10-14-2016, 09:18 PM
The folks here on SD who says any additional chemical or any other additional filtration is not needed ussualy follow their advice with a"just do 100% daily WCs".
I totaly agree with them on that matter , but for folks who are determined to do 2-3 WCs a week i think any addition to the filtering methods is a thing at least to consider .
By additional filtration or filtration methods i think in general : Purigen , Strong/sufficient UV , Ozone filter , Drip systems,etc.

I understand that but I don't understand discouraging someone to use products that have benefits ie purigen, uv etc