PDA

View Full Version : can you freeze live black worms?

adrian's fish
10-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Hi guys, i 'm going on vacation for a week and i have about 1/3 lb of live black worms left from my previous order and i was wandering if i can freeze them so they don't go to bad and feed them as frozen when i come back. Thanks a lot .

DISCUS STU
10-14-2016, 09:55 AM
I've never frozen that much but have frozen black worms. I would say yes, but I think you would have to remove as much of the water as possible otherwise you'll be chipping away at a large block of ice.

Altum Nut
10-14-2016, 11:01 AM
You can freeze them but place them in a zip-lock freezer bag removing air and lay flat so as Stu mentioned...your not having to try and break off a block of ice. Make sure you rinse them well before hand.

...Ralph

adrian's fish
10-14-2016, 11:22 AM
i was thinking of putting them in trays for ice cubes that way i can just take one cube out for every feeding

LizStreithorst
10-14-2016, 11:24 AM
I always heard that they had to be flash frozen otherwise they would turn to mush.

DISCUS STU
10-14-2016, 03:09 PM
i was thinking of putting them in trays for ice cubes that way i can just take one cube out for every feeding

That'll probably work.

LizStreithorst
10-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Let us know how it works.

SomeFin's Fishy
10-14-2016, 06:30 PM
Our experience is that they need to be flash frozen before putting them in the freezer. Blackworms are probably 90% water. When water freezes, it expands. Fill a jar to the top with water and put a lid tighly on the jar. Put it in the freezer and either the jar will shatter or the lid will be pushed off. The same things happen with the blackworms. As they freeze, the water expands and splits the skin of the worm. When they thaw out again, as Liz says, they turn to mush, becasue there is nothing holding the "innards" together

LizStreithorst
10-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Our experience is that they need to be flash frozen before putting them in the freezer. Blackworms are probably 90% water. When water freezes, it expands. Fill a jar to the top with water and put a lid tighly on the jar. Put it in the freezer and either the jar will shatter or the lid will be pushed off. The same things happen with the blackworms. As they freeze, the water expands and splits the skin of the worm. When they thaw out again, as Liz says, they turn to mush, becasue there is nothing holding the "innards" together

You said what I know but didn't have the patience to go into. Good on you and shame on me.