PDA

View Full Version : Deworming question

Pices
10-15-2016, 02:07 PM
I've replayed Al's lecture on keeping discus & he said he deworms his discus. I failed to do this with my fairly new purchase from Kenny. Is it recommended to deworm my fish? If the answer is yes, then can I wait till next month after my 3 new discus from Kenny arrive & do them all together?
I've been glued to this site prior to & since getting my fish and no one else has mentioned deworming their new batches, so I'm curious. As always, thanks for your sound advice-you've made me love this hobby in a way I didn't think was possible!

LizStreithorst
10-15-2016, 02:41 PM
IME, Kenny's fish are clean. Give them the best of care and you will have no problems.

This is my rule of thumb with internal parasites. Remember it. If a fish eats and is still skinny it has worms, If a fish doesn't eat, or picks up food and then spits it out it is hex regardless of whether you see white poo. Until either of these things happen to your fish all you need to do is give them loads of clean stable water.

Pices
10-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Wow-I'm writing that one down to make sure I remember it! You make it so simple to take care of discus-you make simply discus really live up to its name. Thank you Thank you Thank you! That was a pearl of wisdom!

Ryan925
10-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Wow-I'm writing that one down to make sure I remember it! You make it so simple to take care of discus-you make simply discus really live up to its name. Thank you Thank you Thank you! That was a pearl of wisdom!

I'm 99% positive that Kenny deworms and treats all his fish during his qt period. I'd ask him for sure but I do believe I remember him telling me that

LizStreithorst
10-15-2016, 04:14 PM

Don't write it down until you read it again. I made an edit.

Pices
10-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Okay Liz

tolga
10-15-2016, 07:52 PM
"....Remember it. If a fish eats and is still skinny it has worms..."

Hi Liz, just a quick question: would you say that a fish may have worms even if there is no white poop. That is to say, the fish eats but is on the thin side and has remained so for quite a while despite other tank mates gaining weight. And this fish has normal brown poop but still looking thin even after a course of wormer plus. Do you think such a fish could have worms? I was thinking of using levamisole. Water and everything else is fine...

Thanks
Tolga

LizStreithorst
10-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Yes. White poo is not a symptom of worms. It is a symptom of hex.

You have to dose wormer plus pretty heavily for it to get the job done.

Pices
10-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Okay now I'm emailing myself this thread!

tolga
10-16-2016, 05:58 AM
Thank you Liz.
Tolga

hdhong
10-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Yes. White poo is not a symptom of worms. It is a symptom of hex.

You have to dose wormer plus pretty heavily for it to get the job done.

Liz, where do you buy wormer plus from? Just curious in case I need it in the future and know where to get it from.

LizStreithorst
10-17-2016, 12:27 PM
I haven't bought it in a long time. My friends in England sent it to me. You might look on ebay.

hdhong
10-17-2016, 12:46 PM
I haven't bought it in a long time. My friends in England sent it to me. You might look on ebay.

Thanks Liz.