PDA

View Full Version : Which color to choose

Sohal
10-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to this wonderful forum !!

I am new to Discus .

I have a 90 gal barebottom setup and I would like to buy 9 juvenile discus to raise.

Which colors(discus types) should I choose in order to have acceptable much if they breed .

For example , since we cannot sex juvenile discus could I get 2 Pigeon Blood Blue , 3 Red Turquoise, 3 Pigeon Blood Red , 1 Pigeon Blood ??

How are they muched in General

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2016, 10:42 AM
Hi John and welcome to Simply. If you are selecting strains for possible future pairing you might consider either all PBs or no PBs in the mix. Generally a PB paired with a non-PB will product heavy peppered fry. Personally I would choose whatever you like and worry about this later.
Pat

DISCUS STU
10-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Hi John and welcome.

The only way to be sure of what you may get from breeding Discus in regard to fry is to buy fish all of the same type. Regardless of the strain, Discus will usually confound you and pair up with whomever they pair up with. In other words, in a tank of beautiful fish my best looking Discus may pair up with my most aesthetically challenged, or least attractive fish as much of this is subjective to the Discus keeper and has nothing to do with Discus preferences for mating.

Even then, if pairing a mated pair of the same strain they may or not breed 100% true. Breeding Discus of different strains produced this, a Red Turquoise male to a Red Mellon Pigeon Blood female gave me results that were all over the place and were very interesting. 40% resembled the Red Turquoise father, 50% looked like the Red Mellon mother (though more orange) and the other 10% looking like neither one of them.

You may want to read some of the earlier posts regarding what some people think are good and bad matches. For example I think that some people discourage true Pigeon Bloods breeding with Blue Diamonds but again I think that some of this can be highly subjective.

As you're just starting out with Discus I would focus on the proper care of these fish first, breeding can come later and usually requires a fair amount of experience.

Sohal
10-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Thank you for your reply Pat

I see , so you mean PB = Pigeon blood ?

So in the future any non PB paired together will produece acceptable offsprings ?

Sohal
10-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Thank you STU you are right !

Should I search the forum for something like "pairing Discus"

Second Hand Pat
10-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Thank you for your reply Pat

I see , so you mean PB = Pigeon blood ?

So in the future any non PB paired together will produece acceptable offsprings ?

I would say it depends on the pair but this is not an area I am familiar with. The only fish I have breed are wilds.
Pat

Sohal
10-17-2016, 11:01 AM

DISCUS STU
10-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Yes, something like that. There's a "Breeders" section.

Again, if you're new I'd focus on the fundamentals of keeping them first. Breeding is another thing altogether.

warblad79
10-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Breeding is not ideal for beginners because you will be overwhelming with tons of work. Most beginners will end up in disaster due lack of knowledge. Trust me on this I'm not new to breeding

Sohal
10-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Ok Guys , thanks for helping