PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus keeping

Veeran333
10-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Hi all,

Just got my 120 gal (2' x 4' x 2') tank! I am super excited about setting up my first discus tank. I had prior experience with freshwater fish (rams, tetras, danios etc) But this is a big step for me (biggest tank I ever owned!!), so I would appreciate any help you can provide.

I bought a 55 gallon Rubbermaid roughneck storage tote to age the water for water changes, do you think it is ok to age the water in such container? or should I put any sort of liner in it.

So this will be the first of many questions I am going to ask you all :cheesy:

thank you

Veeran

rickztahone
10-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Welcome Veeran! 120g tank is a great tank to start off with! Personally, I would say that you would need 2 rubbermaid tote's, but 1 may work if your stocking level isn't too high.

Do you have a picture of your tank?

If you are up for it, we have a section that allows everyone to follow your progress of your tank/build. Here's the link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?365-Our-Tank-Journals

Veeran333
10-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Hi Rickztahone,

i do have a picture of my tank, i just have to figure out how to upload it :) I am going to have 8 discus in it and some small schools of tetras. it will also have live plants. i thought i would do a 40-45 gallon change a week, is that too little? I figure with 3 large filter it might work. So you think it is ok to just age the water in the tub itself, or would i need a liner, i just don't want any sort of plastic contamination.

Thank you

Veeran.

rickztahone
10-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Hi Rickztahone,

i do have a picture of my tank, i just have to figure out how to upload it :) I am going to have 8 discus in it and some small schools of tetras. it will also have live plants. i thought i would do a 40-45 gallon change a week, is that too little? I figure with 3 large filter it might work. So you think it is ok to just age the water in the tub itself, or would i need a liner, i just don't want any sort of plastic contamination.

Thank you

Veeran.

No liner needed so long as the barrel was clean to start with. It didn't have any detergents or anything right?

Once a week water changes will not be enough if you have a moderate load of discus.

Veeran333
10-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Hi Rickztahone,

No it is a brand new tub, so thank you for that info. What type of water change do you recommend. I put some tank specifics below, please let me know if you need any further info.

120 gallon tall (2' deep x 4' wide x 2' tall
3 filters (canister filter that is rated for up to 175 gallon with UV), emperor 400 and aquaclear 500)
all live plants, couple of rocks and driftwood
8 discus
12 red eye tetras (optional)
24 cardinal tetras
12 cory cats
assorted shrimps

thank you

Veeran

Keith024
10-22-2016, 02:28 AM
Veeran333,

I am following your thread hope you do not mind :)

I am particularly interested in the type of plastic used for storage tanks. I have purchased a food grade 120ltr storage tank however I have another old tank which I remember my father using it for aging water for aquarium when I was younger and I still have it, however it is not food grade. Do you think I can go by using it too in addition to the one I have? or the tanks have to be strictly food grade?

Many thanks !
Keith

Veeran333
10-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Hi Keith,

I don't mind at all :) I don't think it would affect the water, since it was used prior. But if you are really worried, you can always buy like a food grade plastic liner and line the container. Hope that helps.

Veeran

Keith024
10-23-2016, 02:27 AM
Thanks yes it has been used before and has been there sat in the garage for some years waiting for another project :)

Veeran333
10-23-2016, 05:47 AM
Don't you just love those "waiting" in items when you start a new project, you feel like you are not spending any money...........yet you probably spent an arm and a leg when you first got it :grin:

Filip
10-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Hi Veeeran and welcome to discus .

I agree with Rick that one 40 % WC wouldnt be enough to keep your discus healthy , especially if they are not full grown discus .i would start with at least 3 x 40% WCs per week IIWY.
If you want community planted tank , go with max. one inch layer of PFS sand and pot your plants or attach them to driftwood and buy full grown discus . Otherwise it would be difficult to keep them healthy and thriving in planted enviroment.
Start with discus only , and you can add other fish after 2-3 months when discus are fully adjusted to the new water and enviroment but only after a proper Quarantine procedure for introducing new fish .
this are some of the basics in discus keeping that should make your life easier with keeping discus .
HTH Filip , and good luck