PDA

View Full Version : safe dosage

Bc chick
10-31-2016, 05:14 PM
hello all!

i usually use prime and just switched over to safe. i dont understand how to messure it out. maybe it wasnt a good idea for my smaller tanks. anyway the dose says 1/4 teaspoon for 300 gallons. how do i measure for my 45g 55g and 65? dont laugh. i failed math.....twice lol

today is a sad day. one of my elephant noses was showing signs of parasites. was givent paragaurd and was told it was safe even tho they are scaless fish. Woke up this morning and all five of my elephants were dead. km so devestated. ive been crying all day. now im worried about this stupid safe stuff as it warns of overdosing

Akili
10-31-2016, 06:37 PM
Sorry for your loss,I do not use safe but you can follow the directions on the Seachem website http://www.seachem.com/safe.php

Filip
10-31-2016, 07:50 PM
I use their scoop from Kanamycine medication , from Seachem also . This scoop is measured 180 mg . level spoon when filled with Kanamycine med.
It could be a bit different measure for Safe since they may not have the same density , but i hope that i am somewhere near 180 mg with their scoop .
Ive been planing to ask Seachem about their thoughts on this , and soon as i did i will share their answer here .

Find some of the little white ones espresso coffie spoons / scoops, ask your local pharmaceutical to measure its weight when level filled and use this as your refference for further dosing.

Altum Nut
10-31-2016, 09:43 PM
hello all!

i usually use prime and just switched over to safe. i dont understand how to messure it out. maybe it wasnt a good idea for my smaller tanks. anyway the dose says 1/4 teaspoon for 300 gallons. how do i measure for my 45g 55g and 65? dont laugh. i failed math.....twice lol

today is a sad day. one of my elephant noses was showing signs of parasites. was givent paragaurd and was told it was safe even tho they are scaless fish. Woke up this morning and all five of my elephants were dead. km so devestated. ive been crying all day. now im worried about this stupid safe stuff as it warns of overdosing

Been dosing with safe for years without any issues.
I use a level 1/4 teaspoon for every 50 g.
Really weird that the Seachem site now indicates.... NOTE: These directions supersede all other prior packaging.
I guess the formula has changed since I bought my 4 kg tub 3 yrs ago.

...Ralph

jim LI
11-01-2016, 08:56 AM
This is from a post i had earlier this year ...

Re: Help understanding seachem safe dosage
From Seachem :

Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
Mar 7, 11:29

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email. You are correct - the recommended dose of Safe for 50 gallons of water is 1/24 of a tsp. This dose will remove about 1 mg/L chloramine and 1.4 mg/L chlorine, so to achieve the exact same chlorine and chloramine dechlorination rate as the standard dose of Prime, you will want to use around 3x this dose (1/8 tsp). Essentially, Prime is recommended to be dosed at a level which can dechlorinate pool water (the highest chlorine level recommend for any water source), while Safe is recommended to be dosed at a level which will will dechlorinate average tap water. Due to how concentrated it is (very easy to overdose) we generally recommend looking up your local water report and dosing Safe according to the levels of chlorine and chloramine in your source water.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

so my formula is now 5ml of prime = 1/8 tsp of safe = 50 gallon dosage

DISCUS STU
11-01-2016, 10:24 AM
I don't use Safe but buy Prime at pond sizes and then cut it 50% with RO water. This is much more economical and Prime also has slime coat enhancer that Safe doesn't.

pitdogg2
11-01-2016, 02:34 PM
I don't use Safe but buy Prime at pond sizes and then cut it 50% with RO water. This is much more economical and Prime also has slime coat enhancer that Safe doesn't.

Could you explain this please^^^^^^^^^^ Do you buy Pond Prime ? and then you dilute it with RO ? Yes buying Pond prime is much more economical as it is priced cheaper than Prime BUT both are the very same product no difference in strength notta nothing different.

Jenene
11-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Not sure if this will help anyone else but I bought these tiny measuring spoons specifically for the aquarium. I found them on amazon-
https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Measuring-Spoons-smidgen/dp/B0009X1P9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478031542&sr=8-1&keywords=tiny+measuring+spoons

The accompanying measurements: Tad-1/4 tsp, Dash 1/8 tsp, Pinch 1/16 tsp, smidgen is 1/32 tsp, and the drop is 1/64 tsp.
Hope this comes in handy for someone. I use mine.103411

Filip
11-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Could you explain this please^^^^^^^^^^ Do you buy Pond Prime ? and then you dilute it with RO ? Yes buying Pond prime is much more economical as it is priced cheaper than Prime BUT both are the very same product no difference in strength notta nothing different.

Ivan , i think Stu was trying to say that he do not dose prime for the RO part of his water change amount , but only for his tap water part I.e. 5o% of his whole WC , cause the RO part it is allready dechlorinated .

Filip
11-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Not sure if this will help anyone else but I bought these tiny measuring spoons specifically for the aquarium. I found them on amazon-
https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Measuring-Spoons-smidgen/dp/B0009X1P9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478031542&sr=8-1&keywords=tiny+measuring+spoons

The accompanying measurements: Tad-1/4 tsp, Dash 1/8 tsp, Pinch 1/16 tsp, smidgen is 1/32 tsp, and the drop is 1/64 tsp.

This is very helpfull piece of advice Jenene . TFS

pitdogg2
11-01-2016, 05:39 PM

these are great I have some also.

Ivan , i think Stu was trying to say that he do not dose prime for the RO part of his water change amount , but only for his tap water part I.e. 5o% of his whole WC , cause the RO part it is allready dechlorinated .

Well that don't work per seachem

That is the question I sent them that if I change 50% of water in my 100gal tank do I just dose for 50gal because only 50gal will have chloramines? there response was it would work fine IF I dosed BEFORE the water went into the tank after it is in the tank you must dose for the 100 gal or it will be too diluted to work.
so if he is doing it before it goes into the tank that would work.

My thought was he like I read the pond prime instructions and they say something like 10ml for like 1500 gal pond or something like that it makes it seem it is much more powerful concentration. Once again I fired off an email. Their response was since a pond is an open system you can use less but an aquarium is a closed system so use it like you do the regular Prime. So when I asked if it was more concentrated Seachem said no it is the exact same different bottle.

So like myself I do not want him thinking it is more powerful than regular Prime.

Filip
11-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Nice advices shared here Ivan . Thanks .
So if you dose it 15 min prior WC in your 50 gallons ageing barrel you can dose for only 50 gall. , but if you pour it straight in to your 100 gallon half empty tank prior WC it would get too diluted to work Right ??
This info . is very interesting and helpfull.

pitdogg2
11-01-2016, 09:13 PM
According to Seachem that is correct. There are some good chemistry experts here. A few years ago this was hashed out and I then made the comment that I only dose for the water I put into the tank not the whole tank amount. That is when they gave my the chemistry lesson so to speak and yes it was confirmed by Seachem also unless you're treating the water before it goes into aquarium. Seachem is very responsive to emails like no other company I know. They are more than happy to help. Back when I spent a lot of time at the ACA (American Cichlid Association) one of the Seachem CS rep signed in and was very informative in our conversation we had going.

DISCUS STU
11-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Regular Prime, 30 mL treats 300 gallons, Pond Prime 30 mL treats 600 gallons. So the concentration is double strength in the Pond mixture. I dilute the Pond Prime by 50% using RO water to bring it to standard strength.

Standard Prime 500 mL (16.9 fl. oz), Pond Prime 2 l. (67.6 fl oz.) 4X the size while double the strength.

Standard Prime 500 mL (16.9 fl. oz) treats 20,000 gals. , Pond Prime 2 l. (67.6 fl oz.) 4X the size while double the strength treats 40,000 gals.

Standard Prime cost: $12.62 (1/4 size of Pond Prime) , Pond Prime cost: $27.99.

These are Amazon prices. Though shipping will most likely cost more for the Pond size.

I think I did the math right. The better value is to buy the Pond version and dilute it by 1/2 for aquarium use.

DJW
11-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Stu, Seachem has stated that regular Prime and Pond Prime are identical, but their dosage is different for a pond because a pond is a different environment than a closed aquarium. The different dosage in the directions understandably leads people to assume that Pond Prime is more concentrated.

See post #18 here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?41840-Prime-Factoid/page2

DISCUS STU
11-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Stu, Seachem has stated that regular Prime and Pond Prime are identical, but their dosage is different for a pond because a pond is a different environment than a closed aquarium. The different dosage in the directions understandably leads people to assume that Pond Prime is more concentrated.

See post #18 here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?41840-Prime-Factoid/page2

I see the post but don't think the formulations are different, Pond appears to be the same formula though concentrated. Seachems statement doesn't seem to contradict this.

pitdogg2
11-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Pond Prime IS the better value as it cost less. I paid 28$ for a 2L of Pond Prime. The "reg" Prime is almost 40$+ for the same 2L bottle. I always bought the Pond Prime just because it was cheaper and like you STU I also thought it was more concentrated. It's just cheaper and at the end of "Pond" season you can get it for as little as 20$ per 2 liter that is when I would stock up. I went to SAFE in the 2kilo bottle and it is MUCH cheaper than PRIME it just smells:) I put mine in glass mason jars to help with that odor.

Thanks DJW

By the way STU are you diluting the prime in the bottle? or just in dosage? IF you're diluting in the bottle that is no good once added to water its life span is greatly reduced the stability agents used in Prime are greatly affected by water.

DJW
11-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Seachem support:

"Re: Is there a difference between Aquarium Prime and Pond Prime?

"They are the exact same product and concentration. The dosage for a pond is less because a pond has more surface area that can gas off some chlorine. If you use the Pond Prime for an aquarium please use the normal aquarium Prime's dosage directions."

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/314-is-there-a-difference-between-aquarium-prime-and-pond-prime

pitdogg2
11-02-2016, 11:14 AM
I see the post but don't think the formulations are different, Pond appears to be the same formula though concentrated. Seachems statement doesn't seem to contradict this.

OMG Stu the concentrations are the same in both. and it does say they are the same..

Seachem
Registered Member

iTrader

Default Re: Prime Factoid

To clear any confusion or doubt, Prime and Pond Prime are indeed the same liquid formula. The dosing and labeling differ merely as a matter of focus toward use. The surface area in ponds allows for a dramatic difference in the need for dose volume and thus explains the difference in dose on the labels. Hoping this helps to resolve and questions.

DISCUS STU
11-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Thanks DJW. I'm diluting in the bottle. I make up a stock solution from the Pond bottle and transfer that to the 500 mL bottle at 50/50 using RO water. So the Pond solution is left untouched until I make up the smaller solution.

I'll what you're saying in mind and probably just go to 1/2 cap for my 55/60 gals., as opposed to full cap diluted, and a full cap for my 90 gal.

I believe SAFE doesn't have the slime coat adder compared to PRIME.

pitdogg2
11-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks DJW. I'm diluting in the bottle. I make up a stock solution from the Pond bottle and transfer that to the 500 mL bottle at 50/50 using RO water. So the Pond solution is left untouched until I make up the smaller solution.

don't do this you are wasting the Prime once water is added the stabilizers start to degrade rapidly not to mention only 1/2 dosing for what you need. you would be better off with using Safe forget about the slime coat whatever.

DISCUS STU
11-02-2016, 11:40 AM
don't do this you are wasting the Prime once water is added the stabilizers start to degrade rapidly not to mention only 1/2 dosing for what you need. you would be better off with using Safe forget about the slime coat whatever.

It's not half dosing, it's bringing the pond strength to standard strength but I will probably stop diluting.

DISCUS STU
11-02-2016, 11:58 AM
OMG Stu the concentrations are the same in both. and it does say they are the same..

Seachem
Registered Member

iTrader

Default Re: Prime Factoid

To clear any confusion or doubt, Prime and Pond Prime are indeed the same liquid formula. The dosing and labeling differ merely as a matter of focus toward use. The surface area in ponds allows for a dramatic difference in the need for dose volume and thus explains the difference in dose on the labels. Hoping this helps to resolve and questions.

Then I guess my old habit of double dosing has helped. I'm still saving money buying the pond size.

pitdogg2
11-02-2016, 12:03 PM
It's not half dosing, it's bringing the pond strength to standard strength but I will probably stop diluting.

pond strength IS Standard Strength YES you are 1/2 dosing. anyhoot I tried to help you understand as did DJW.

I'm out.

DISCUS STU
11-02-2016, 12:19 PM
pond strength IS Standard Strength YES you are 1/2 dosing. anyhoot I tried to help you understand as did DJW.

I'm out.

Yes, I've probably been diluting to half strength but I normally double dose on the other end.

In other words, if I'm doing a 25 gal. water change the instructions indicate to use 1/2 cap full. I will normally always apply 1 or a full cap full, so apparently I've been making it up on the other end and bringing it up to a standard dose and that's why I haven't had issues over the last 2 years I've been using Prime.

PS - Just did 50% water changes in my 55, 60, and 90 gals. All are well, as usual.

Glad I got the right stuff here on the forum. Also glad I kept double dosing, which I've found is now standard dosing, from a TFH article I read years ago.