PDA

View Full Version : found Discus in Michigan pet store and have questions! pics!

Pompadour Discus
11-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Aja and I am new to Discus. Just bought a 75 gallon tank and will be setting it up and cycling it within the next few weeks and hopefully can order from Kenny by February��.

Before today I had never actually seen Discus in person I fell in love with them on YouTube and no one in MI kept them in stock I tried many times to just see them live and in person, low and behold on a random trip to a pet store today this owner had tons of them. Apparently some rich guy had them and got overwhelmed, he complained of over breeding and that he spent so much time on them.

They do not look in bad shape, some look good actually. My issue is since I'm so new I can't trust my judgment, I think they look pretty good but I don't have anything to compare it to yet. Also I read somewhere about peppering and it didn't sound good, I still haven't figured out exactly what that is my guess is the little black spots I noticed on couple of their faces. He does have a breeding pair he is will to sell to me for $400 for the pair. I will try to upload pics. My questions are, can you tell from the pics if these are good? I see the mood bars he said they were stressed because he just got them and out them in their new tank. I'm still learning about the mood bars but know they don't always mean anything bad. What about these do you see should be something to watch out for? Some of these are were huge easily 7 inches. I want to get a couple his prices aren't cheap but still very reasonable. What do you think? Would you purchase one of them?103755

Last pic is of the breeding pairs I'm going to try to attach more in another reply.

Pompadour Discus
11-05-2016, 07:01 PM

I have a few more pics if that isn't enough or aren't clear enough.

Pompadour Discus
11-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Sorry didn't finish the story but the owner got rid of all his discus and brought them to this pet store and the owner couldn't believe his eyes he said when he saw all the discus the guy didn't want the colors are so vibrant and most of them are really large. And he himself loves discus and keeps some for himself not for sale in his shop just to admire and his two he keeps came from Hans.

Akili
11-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Hi Aja welcome to SimplyDiscus,in my opinion if you are going to get fish from Kenny then stay away from these fish. You most likely will do better by getting a proven pair from one of the sponsor here for $400 or less. Just a suggestion perhaps a trip to ChicagoDiscus.com (Josie Christopher) - Chicago, Illinois might be well worth for you.

Ryan925
11-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Although these fish may not look bad you just don't know. You don't know their history or even if the lfs is caring for them properly. All too often we see people in the emergency room section due to lfs purchases.

Stick with Kenny or any other sponsor. Not saying that cuz my fish are from Kenny but with Kenny and all the other sponsors here you can rest assured you are getting high quality fish from someone that will stand behind their product.

Filip
11-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Theese look more like an 4-5 inch discus from the pics to me Izee , and if they were already kept by somebody else and than returned to LFS i would be guessing that their growth period is pretty much rounded up . So I wouldnt do it if it was me .
I would rather buy from a trustworthy source , and sponsors here have their reputation already proven by members through the years of cooperation.

Pompadour Discus
11-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Theese look more like an 4-5 inch discus from the pics to me Izee , and if they were already kept by somebody else and than returned to LFS i would be guessing that their growth period is pretty much rounded up . So I wouldnt do it if it was me .
I would rather buy from a trustworthy source , and sponsors here have their reputation already proven by members through the years of cooperation.

Hi! Yes some, actually most were about 5 inches. But i was saying they were about 3 or 4 of them that were huge like much bigger than than the other fish in the tank and they had beautiful colors. But since I can't trust my judgment. I'm going to take everyone's advice and just stick to Kenny who I just got off the phone with for the first time!! So excited, he was of course amazing and inspiring I just hope when and if I start breeding discus, I can have half his skill and poise.
Thanks everyone!!������

brewmaster15
11-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Aja,
Welcome to the forum! I think you made a wise choice working with one of our sponsors,especially since you are new to discus. Please be sure to read our beginners board and ask many questions. Its always best to learn as much about the fish you are keeping as you can and you won't find a better place than SimplyDiscus when that fish is a Discus!:)

Enjoy the journey.

Al

Keith Perkins
11-06-2016, 09:52 AM
If you want to see some nice fish locally I'd suggest you look up Cary Strong on Facebook. He hasn't been very active on Simply for a while, but all the old timers here know him well. He lives in Madison Heights.

Jason.M
11-06-2016, 12:33 PM
My concern would be what they have picked up at the LFS for nasties. They may have been nice and healthy with the previous owner but at the LFS its next to impossible to avoid cross contamination. How long has the LFS had them? I'm willing to bet if you go back in a few weeks then some of them won't look so healthy.

Pompadour Discus
11-06-2016, 08:30 PM
My concern would be what they have picked up at the LFS for nasties. They may have been nice and healthy with the previous owner but at the LFS its next to impossible to avoid cross contamination. How long has the LFS had them? I'm willing to bet if you go back in a few weeks then some of them won't look so healthy.

He said he had just got them a couple days before I saw them.

DISCUS STU
11-07-2016, 03:41 PM
These don't look bad or sickly but they may they may have reached the end of their growth stage. Better to start with fish from a proven source such as one of the sponsors. That way you're hopefully getting what you paid for and will have the opportunity to raise your fish to a nice size without having to wonder about their history.

As for the mated pair. Can he prove this as he seems to know very little about them anyway? People throwing together two fish and calling them a mated pair is pretty common. Regardless, someone that has never kept Discus before wouldn't have much use for a mated pair anyway. This is really for people that have the experience to work with them.