PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my plants

Veeran333
11-11-2016, 04:29 PM
My 120 gallon tank is all set for living things!! I just ordered my plants on line from http://www.extraplant.us/ I will keep you guys posted on how it turns out!!

Phillydubs
11-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Very cool! What did you get?

First time order from them?

What is your plan?

Filip
11-11-2016, 07:57 PM
How would you like your planted discus tank to look like Veeran ?
Do you have some ideal , example picture of a planted discus tank from the net that you want to duplicate or use as an inspiration?

Ryan925
11-11-2016, 10:06 PM
How would you like your planted discus tank to look like Veeran ?
Do you have some ideal , example picture of a planted discus tank from the net that you want to duplicate or use as an inspiration?

I'd say just duplicate Filips!!! It's quite amazing

Filip
11-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I'd say just duplicate Filips!!! It's quite amazing

Thanks for the compliments Ryan :) .

Veeran333
11-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

i still haven't gotten my plants (hopefully by tomorrow!) i basically clicked on the "plants for discus" section and ordered a bunch of plants, i think they tolerate higher temps. So mostly swords, crypts and vals. i did draw up a plan to put the plants in, i will take a picture and post it. Filip, how do i see your pictures, i would really love to see it to get inspirations :)

thank you all

Veeran

Filip
11-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Here are some older pics taken from my mobile Veeran.

I use thin layer of sand and all of my plants are potted in small pots with rich soil , except the sagitaria carpet on the right .
Don't add anything , except for occasional micro ferts.
Temp. Is 28-29 C degree.

Veeran333
11-14-2016, 01:59 PM
wow Filip, that looks awesome, how big is the tank? and what is the watts per gallon on that? the reason I am asking is, I heard that discus do not like it too bright. I have a 120 gal tank, and four 65 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. so its about 2 watts per gallon, do you think it is ok for swords and vals?

Filip
11-14-2016, 08:39 PM
wow Filip, that looks awesome, how big is the tank? and what is the watts per gallon on that? the reason I am asking is, I heard that discus do not like it too bright. I have a 120 gal tank, and four 65 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. so its about 2 watts per gallon, do you think it is ok for swords and vals?

Thanks Veeran .Hope we will make yours better here .

Its only a 65 G tank and a very short width - only a 16 inch . So it does not leaves many opportunities to scape it very good . With a 120 G you can make wonders :)

Discus get accustomed to bright lights and if you leave them some darker spots to hide or a floating plants here and there , they will manage it just fine .
Trust me , bright lights are pretty down below on the list of discus dislikes upon living in a planted tank . Keeping proper water quallity is the first on their list and the hardest to maintain in a planted discus tank .

As for lights i do have a strong ones . i run 2 x 54 watt HO T5 tubes for 10 hours and one more T5 54 watt HO tube for the last 3 hours as a plant booster . They all got reflectors above them . So its a 160 wats tottal per 65 g tank .

I think you will be good with your WPG light power for keeping swords , vals and some easier plants .
Im currious about the 65 watt compact fluo bulbs ? Do you have a link or image of them so i can get a picture for what are we talking about .

Ryan925
11-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Hi all,

i still haven't gotten my plants (hopefully by tomorrow!) i basically clicked on the "plants for discus" section and ordered a bunch of plants, i think they tolerate higher temps. So mostly swords, crypts and vals. i did draw up a plan to put the plants in, i will take a picture and post it. Filip, how do i see your pictures, i would really love to see it to get inspirations :)

thank you all

Veeran

When so first started my planted I ordered a "discus starter pack" as well.

Was a variety of swords, anubias, vals, & crypts

Once I for my ferts dialed in they grew like crazy. I actually had to removed the pygmy chain swords because they took over a huge corner of the tank.

I eventually removed all plants and gravel. I really enjoyed my plants but I am much more successful with my fish without the plants.

Good luck with it. It's a balancing act for sure but remember the fish really should come first as they are your primary investment
Here's a pic of what my discus pack tuned out like. No vals in this shot though. I melted them pretty badly when I double dosed excel to rid my tank of algae