PDA

View Full Version : Tips for choosing some adult discus

Cookie_discus
11-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Hey guys how you doing? I need advise on choosing adult discus I want to get a group of 6 that is not too old. At my lfs I have seen some of them about 5'' but they dont look active and some other 5'' are very active even I have seen some 6'' are a lot more active than those 5'' ones. I am not sure how to chose a good one in adult size.

Phillydubs
11-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Order from any one of the sponsors here let them know exactly what you're looking for asked for pictures or videos if you prefer of the fish themselves most of the sponsors will know pretty close to how old the fish are in most of them are selling Young fish unless they're known breeding pairs or something that they've had for a while most of the 5+ inch fish that you see are probably a little under a year old and you'll get very good healthy fish from any of the sponsors here do you have any idea of what you're looking for ??

Filip
11-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Hi Jimmy . Besides choosing the shape , colour , pattern and other obvious features on adult discus i would look for a thinner forehead if im about to choose a younger fish .
Large discus which are allready fat and meaty particulary in the head region are very likely that they are older discus , because in their growth discus tend to get their size first and their thickness second.
HTH.

Cookie_discus
11-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Is those sponsors from the US? I am living in Canada andas I remember I think is not easy to order fish online on our own beside of buying it from the lfs but I am not sure but I am sure many of the local fish keeper are just buying fish at breeder or lfs I rarely heard people saying buying fish online even expert.

Cookie_discus
11-11-2016, 08:05 PM
So look for the ones that have thinner head???

Jason.M
11-11-2016, 08:29 PM
You can order discus easily in Canada. See Canadian Aqua Farms. Rick is great to deal with and sells top quality(Forrest I believe) discus. There are a few others as well. Not nearly the choices they have south of the border but we have a few. I've only ordered from CAF.

Cookie_discus
11-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Oh I dont know how about that lol. Which province are they in Canada? I am from Ontario

Akili
11-12-2016, 12:14 AM
Oh I dont know how about that lol. Which province are they in Canada? I am from OntarioHi Jimmy look in the sponsors area for Van-Discus-(Vansu-Nguyen) He is in the metro toronto area.

Jason.M
11-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Oh I dont know how about that lol. Which province are they in Canada? I am from Ontario

CAF is in Vancouver. I live in Halifax and Had mine shipped from CAF across the country with no problems. Shipping is top notch.

bluelagoon
11-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Your profile indicates you live somewhere the USA.

Cookie_discus
11-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Lol really? I am in Ontario

Cookie_discus
11-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Where else to buy good discus in Toronto?

Cookie_discus
11-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Just contact Van discus they are not doing retail anymore.

Ryan925
11-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Go to the sponsors section all Canadian sponsors will be listed

Akili
11-13-2016, 11:05 PM
Where else to buy good discus in Toronto?

Hey guys how you doing? I need advise on choosing adult discus I want to get a group of 6 that is not too old. At my lfs I have seen some of them about 5'' but they dont look active and some other 5'' are very active even I have seen some 6'' are a lot more active than those 5'' ones. I am not sure how to chose a good one in adult size.There are a few stores in Toronto that I visit from time to time that have some nice stock and here is a thread that I hope this helps you out http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?33300-Selecting-Discus

Cookie_discus
11-14-2016, 12:11 AM
what are the stores name and where are they located?

Dhavalsp
11-14-2016, 01:12 AM
Hi Jimmy, I think you will save a good amount of money if you go with one the sponsors, if you are looking at 6 discus at 5 inch plus size, you are easily looking at at least USD 600 at that point $50 in shipping will not seems much. Plus all the sponsors put up good pics of their stock and making it easy to choose. Just check out all the sponsors in the sponsor section.

Pompadour Discus
11-14-2016, 01:25 AM
Hi I am pretty new to the forum and just in case you may be having the same problem I had. Go to the forum home page, then scroll all the way to the near bottom you should run into the sponsors section. When I first posted everyone stated to go to the sponsors section and I could never find it, I used the search field, I combed through the forum until I nearly gave up and found it by accident and realize I never scrolled down far enough and when I did I found so many other useful sections. I decided to purchase mine from a sponsor after reading through the section. Now if you knew this all along then I feel real dumb, lol. But I feel like its really up to you, if you are not planning anything elaborate for your Discus and just want to enjoy their beauty and don't mind the chance of loss of invested funds into a possible sick discus. Then go LFS. If that is convenient for you no judgement here. HTH!