PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank amateur review request

hermit
11-12-2016, 02:17 AM
Hi Guys, I am so excited to be a new member both to this website and the hobby of Discus keeping. Really need your most valuable opinions regarding how my current set up and fish are looking. Also what I can do better. Any help with which strains these are would be appreciated. In terms of food they were fed by the previous owner Beef heart so its kind of difficult moving them to Hikari Discus Gold. Currently ordered Hikari Brine shrimp, daphnia, Plankton and also Hans Cobalt Discus Flakes:bounce:

I had done some reading on Simply Discus and other sites prior to buying these Two but after getting my Juwel Lido 120 tank. I know a single pair and this size of a tank wouldnt be the best option but I had to start somewhere. My tank houses 2 Discus, 6 Rummy nose tetras, 3 cardinal tetras and 4 Cory cats.

Thanks to all you guys in advance.

Cheers,Sojy

pastry
11-12-2016, 07:27 AM
May be just fine as a pair. As for scape, have you thought of doing a slope? Go to google image and type in slope aquascape. You can use the rocks you have to help with slope and the wood as focal piece with your plants peppered like you do. Just thought that you might like the idea since you can work with what you already have plus have a feeling you'll nerd out on it like me :p

hermit
11-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Just googled slope aquascape. Thats so cool. Hmmm I already started to nerd out on it:drummer:

pastry
11-12-2016, 10:47 AM
I also tried slope hardscape aquascape and more came up. Play around with words. Was trying to find one I saw before that you might love but now can't find it. Messing with mine all year and still can't get it to where I'm satisfied.

Ryan925
11-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Nice looking pair. Looks like a red eagle and a turk to me

Phillydubs
11-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Fish look nIce are they a proven pair ?

bluelagoon
11-12-2016, 04:37 PM
To me the front one looks like a PB and the other a turk.Nice tank.The foot print makes it look smaller than a 55 gal.

hermit
11-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the effort Elliot. You guys are so helpful:guitarist:

hermit
11-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Fish look nIce are they a proven pair ?

Philly thanks for the compliments. Really its an honor. No they are not a proven pair. If it wasnt for seeing Hans interview on Discus pairing I would have asked what proven pair was? The LFS said it was what the breeder in Indonesia they got it from said. They kind of get along well and when I on the light they both are huddled together. In Qatar where I am based you dont have lot of guys really passionate about Discus. For them its just a fish.

hermit
11-12-2016, 04:56 PM
To me the front one looks like a PB and the other a turk.Nice tank.The foot print makes it look smaller than a 55 gal.

Thanks Mervin. Its really only a 120 litre Lido tank. 30 Gallon I would guess.

hermit
11-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Nice looking pair. Looks like a red eagle and a turk to me

Thanks Ryan for the compliments and info.

Ryan925
11-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ryan for the compliments and info.

They have nice shape, color and pattern. I have a very similar turq and love red eagles.

bluelagoon
11-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks Mervin. Its really only a 120 litre Lido tank. 30 Gallon I would guess.

The site says 61cm x 61cm x 58cm.

Pompadour Discus
11-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Now I want to google slope aquascape!! And your Discus are beautiful I hope they are a pair!

Kyla
11-15-2016, 09:01 AM
tank is super cute, and the fish look lovely. i caution against adding any more discus to the small tank. its great they get along so far, just keep an eye on them to make sure neither gets bullied. they do well in larger groups because aggression can be high with smaller numbers but u may have lucked out and found two that get along.

hermit
11-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Now I want to google slope aquascape!! And your Discus are beautiful I hope they are a pair!
Thanks a lot Aja. Well we can just wish until it's proven that it's a pair.

hermit
11-16-2016, 05:00 PM
tank is super cute, and the fish look lovely. i caution against adding any more discus to the small tank. its great they get along so far, just keep an eye on them to make sure neither gets bullied. they do well in larger groups because aggression can be high with smaller numbers but u may have lucked out and found two that get along.
Thanks a ton Kyla for the compliments and advise. Well for 2 weeks they had no problems. Dunno 2 days back they were slapping and pecking at each other. They have calmed after that one day. No fins broken or anything. Well I am glad that both are energetic to defend themselves.