PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions required please

Discus_Diva
11-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Hi, me again, I have the option of taking these two Discus, before I do anything what are your views please? Consider or avoid. Apologies as the pics are not super brilliant. Thanks in advance

Phillydubs
11-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Any more pics ?

Discus_Diva
11-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Any more pics ?

No particularly brilliant ones i'm afraid Phillydubs but here are what i do have- completely ignore the blues in the 2nd pic, they are a complete no no

Phillydubs
11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Is this a LFS ? Where are you located ?

Phillydubs
11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Anyone ship to the U.K.?

Discus_Diva
11-15-2016, 12:47 PM
Is this a LFS ? Where are you located ?

Yes LFS UK based.

Discus_Diva
11-15-2016, 01:23 PM
We have a LFS that stocks Stendker Discus Phillydubs but they are much smaller... 2.5" and I am a little wary of bullying if they were to go in with my original Discus- 4"-5" and for them to get bullied.

Clawhammer
11-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Its always best to get them straight from the breeder instead of a LFS, but that being said, these fish look pretty healthy imo. If you are setting up a new tank, these could work, but if you already have discus I would strongly advise against adding any new discus from a LFS. If you do decide to purchase them, have the LFS feed the fish and don't buy any that aren't eating.

kris2341
11-15-2016, 01:37 PM
there's always a risk even with healthy discus, because of the differing immunities the respective fish has. A fish can be perfectly healthy, but often is a carrier of opportunistic pathogens that can infect fish that have never been exposed to them before.

Of course, strong healthy fish can often get over this in a few days to weeks, but it has to be said that there IS a risk. Hence why there is always the recommendation to quarantine and use a hero fish.

I had 4 of my own little discus become stressed when my tank heater went on the fritz, dropping to 76 degrees and got sick from something i believe the new fish were carrying. Fixed the problem and now the fish are recovering slowly with regular big water changes, 2 have gone back to being completely healthy on their own.

Phillydubs
11-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Eric makes some valid points... Will you be qt'ing new fish?

If the store gets stendker, then you can maybe approach them about putting in a special order for you? Have you asked? I am not sure how many fish you are looking for but maybe see if they can get you what you want and the sizes you want...

There are no other UK based breeders or importers? Have you checked the web or facebook groups?

Discus_Diva
11-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Eric makes some valid points... Will you be qt'ing new fish?

If the store gets stendker, then you can maybe approach them about putting in a special order for you? Have you asked? I am not sure how many fish you are looking for but maybe see if they can get you what you want and the sizes you want...

There are no other UK based breeders or importers? Have you checked the web or facebook groups?

Really i have a couple of options. Await my new bigger tank to be "up and cycled" which would then free me up a tank for QT or probably not the preferred option, "treat" the whole of current tank and add the new ones to it. A lot of the breeders seem to supply LFS from what i am seeing, or do bigger orders. I am wanting to add 2-3 further fish which will make a total of 6 Discus for me. I have asked the store that stocks Stendker but they says its just what comes in. While on the subject of QT tanks, what would you guys suggest as being the "smallest yet fairest" size of QT tank that could be used?

Phillydubs
11-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Honestly you may not want to hear this, but if I were you, I may consider selling off what I have and starting from scratch. Find a breeder which will add on to a LFS order and get what you want. I can't see why a LFS wouldn;t help you out and tax on a % for their efforts...

If you insist on staying with what you have then the most recomended option would be to QT all new fish. To treat the tank and fish now that aren't "sick" may cause you more problems than you need.

Willie
11-15-2016, 02:47 PM
They look okay in the first picture. But there's at least one sick neighbor in the subsequent pictures. This LFS obviously brings in discus from multiple sources without quarantine. My advice: run away!

Willie

Discus_Diva
11-15-2016, 03:05 PM
They look okay in the first picture. But there's at least one sick neighbor in the subsequent pictures. This LFS obviously brings in discus from multiple sources without quarantine. My advice: run away!

Willie

The LFS just bring in from a "Local Aquatic Supplier"... not sure if that's a local breeders "didn't make the graders" or what. They seem to get some decent fish (my original pair are nice) but others not so nice.

Larry Bugg
11-15-2016, 03:20 PM
The LFS just bring in from a "Local Aquatic Supplier"... not sure if that's a local breeders "didn't make the graders" or what. They seem to get some decent fish (my original pair are nice) but others not so nice.

If there is one sick fish in the tank............don't buy any of the fish in the tank.

Altum Nut
11-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Knowledgeable advise is given to stay away from LFS for reasons was mentioned above.
LFS normally run on a central system which make the healthy susceptible to catch disease from sick or dead fish within other tanks on the same system.

...Ralph

two utes
11-15-2016, 05:17 PM
I agree with what is being said by others here. No dis respect to any LFS but they just don't have the time to take proper care , or give discus the proper maintenance, which l don't blame them for that. Personally l would start from scratch with a group of juveniles straight from a breeder. You will be starting with good strong healthy fish, which you will be able to grow out to their full potential, providing you give them the proper care. Now l'm not saying that you should not buy the fish you are looking at, but just be prepared to have some issues with them, or even the rest of your fish.
Good luck on whatever you decide

Ryan925
11-15-2016, 10:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken wasnt there some posts from someone starting a new setup that had found a reputable breeder in the uk??

kroyin
11-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Northantsdiscus for Ricky Lim
IP Discus Scotland for Tony Tan

A google search will throw up others.

Best of luck in your discus journey

Discus_Diva
11-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Northantsdiscus for Ricky Lim
IP Discus Scotland for Tony Tan

A google search will throw up others.

Best of luck in your discus journey

Thanks Kroyin :)

cuprajake
11-18-2016, 12:45 PM
loads of good breeders in the uk, look at punchard discus

Discus_Diva
11-18-2016, 01:00 PM
loads of good breeders in the uk, look at punchard discus

Thanks

cuprajake
11-18-2016, 05:15 PM
hes one of the top breeders has a page on fb too.

Second Hand Pat
11-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Hi Liz, there is a British based discus forum similar to this one and they also have sponsors like Simply. Their link is http://www.forum.bidka.org/. If you scroll down a bit you will see their sponsors. It might be worth joining it since it is UK based.
Pat

Discus_Diva
11-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Hi Liz, there is a British based discus forum similar to this one and they also have sponsors like Simply. Their link is http://www.forum.bidka.org/. If you scroll down a bit you will see their sponsors. It might be worth joining it since it is UK based.
Pat

Thank you Pat, i'll take a look :)