PDA

View Full Version : pale discus juvenile

lanileo
11-16-2016, 06:15 AM
Hi, I bought 9 discus juveniles a bit more than a month ago. They are all gowing well but since a few days one of them keeps hiding and looks pale he also has white poop hanging on him. The rest of the discus are normal.
What could be wrong?

John_Nicholson
11-16-2016, 08:37 AM
"What could be wrong"...more things than I can list. How much water are you changing? what is the temp? what are you feeding? Is it eating? Where did you get the discus? Do you have substrate? In the disease section there is a questionnaire that can be filled out to help determine what is going on.

-john

lanileo
11-16-2016, 09:15 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

fish has turned pale and keeps hiding

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
pale, white poop, hiding

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
nothing yet

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

100L 9 discus around 2-4cm
5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
daily wc, one day 75% other 50%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
filter has been running a year and it's bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
i don't age my water but i treat with a product from jbl before adding it

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can

- temp ___31º__

- ph ___7__

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____
i'll test this as soon as possible

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100% it it is tested and good for consumption__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

I'll try to get it out of it's hiding place and make a picture

I noticed the tube of my filter wasn't very clean, i just changed it and going to do a big wc in a moment

Dhavalsp
11-16-2016, 03:50 PM
100 L is a 29 Gallon...
2-4 cm - that .75 inch to 1.5 inch..well that's a tricky size to deal with, you need 90 % daily WCs.
31 C is too high on regular basis unless you are trying to treat them for some thing and this is temporary, you should be fine...

Do you adjust the tap water temp to tank temp during WCs?

Filip
11-17-2016, 05:55 AM
They are still babies and very sensitive to water quality .
Keep them in squicky clean environment , wipe tank walls every day , siphon leftover foods and poop after every meal and turn of filters while feeding .
Change more water for this first months -90% daily .
Notice How do they react after a big 90% WC .
If they got stress even a little after the WC , consider ageing your tap water for 24 hours in a bucket with an airstone and heater.
No matter how good is your tap water , dissolved gasses in it aka microbubbles , along with the PH swings during watdrchanges might bother them a lot.

As for the sick fish , you should separate him in a cycled QT and treat him there separate from the others.

HTH.

lanileo
11-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Thank you,
I think it might have been mot enougj water changes. Last night i saw that the tube fron the filtee was dirty so i cleaned it and after i dis a big wate change, had just very few water left and today with feeding, even tough its not comming up for the food it did came oiut of its hiding place and had some food. They all hide at the momen i fill the water but inmidiatly when it's full agaik they come out.
28degrees (82 fht) better?

Akili
11-17-2016, 08:30 AM
28C is fine,keep up with lots of water changes and do them every day. Remove any left over foods after 30 to 45 mins after feeding

John_Nicholson
11-17-2016, 08:31 AM
82 is much better. Chances are that you bought fish that already had internal parasites but that is just a guess. Drop the temp, up the WC's, and keep an eye on them but chances are you will need to do something else in the future.

-john

lanileo
11-17-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm dropping temperature. And going to daily big wc
Is it worth it to preventif deworm? And in case it's better, what would you recommend

lanileo
11-18-2016, 02:00 PM
I have started using metrodinazol. I spoke with a friend of a friend who has discus and he thinks it might have flageleted worms. It keeps hiding and isn't eating, still white poop and a filled tummy. I hope he reacts good and is fine soon.

Filip
11-23-2016, 05:06 AM
I have started using metrodinazol. I spoke with a friend of a friend who has discus and he thinks it might have flageleted worms. It keeps hiding and isn't eating, still white poop and a filled tummy. I hope he reacts good and is fine soon.

Treat him separately in a 10-20 galon quarantine tank, and not all of them together.
Use metronidazole At 400mg per 10 gallons dose ,dose daily for minimum of 10 days with a big WC prior every dose .
Use Epsom salt -MG So4 -1-2 Tbs along with metro treat for the filled tummy that he has.
Good luck .

lanileo
12-02-2016, 09:32 AM
I've treated him 10 days with metro and less days with epsom salt with no results. He is still bloated and not eating. He might be hiding less but no improvement. He has been without eating around three weeks now and i'm worried that if he continues like this he will die.
Nitrite and amonia is 0 and nitrate very low before the water change.

lanileo
12-06-2016, 08:29 AM
The fish past away this morning so no more help needed.
Thanks to all

Akili
12-06-2016, 03:09 PM
The fish past away this morning so no more help needed.
Thanks to allSorry about your loss.