PDA

View Full Version : Check before you drill an Aqueon tank!

Leland F.
11-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Just picked up some tanks from Petco during the $1/gal sale, and the bottom pane in a 55 had a tempered glass sticker. Most tanks I've dealt with only have a tempered bottom pane, but to be safe I checked on Aqueon's website, and they specified that just the bottom, panes should be tempered, not any of the front, back, or side panels. SO, without doing the polarized sunglasses and LCD screen test, I mistakenly tried to drill the front pane and found out he hard way it was also tempered. Not a huge deal, but doesn't exactly make you overly happy either.
Thought I'd give a head up to double check he glass before you drill it.

-Leland

Larry Bugg
11-23-2016, 12:27 PM
I have always heard that you can't drill a 55 because they are all tempered.

atlantadiscus
11-23-2016, 12:53 PM
I also remember that Larry,and have been hearing that for at least 30 years or so-if I recall,there is one other tank size that is generally always all tempered too,just cant remember the size?

Leland F.
11-23-2016, 04:53 PM
After thinking about it, I can't remember ever seeing a drilled 55gal. Lol glad it was only $55. I ended up upgrading to two more 75gal tanks anyway, so it worked out better in the end.

-Leland

DEBaker
11-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Just drilled two Aqueon 55s that I got from a Grand Rapids MI Petco a couple of months ago without a problem. Must not all be the same!
Don