PDA

View Full Version : How long should i use salt on my sick discuss?

Mico
11-25-2016, 05:03 AM
i have this big chunks of salt i forgot what it is called and it has no lable on it when i bought it in the local petstore..
but i know its not for fine dining since its size is unusually larger than your regular eating salt..

i want to ask how long should i use them since my discus are pooping white and has cloudy eyes.

Second Hand Pat
11-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Hi Mico and welcome to Simply.

Salt is not really going to help with white poop or cloudy eyes. Tell us a little about your setup; tank size, size/number of fish, bare bottom or substrate, temp. water change schedule (percentage and how often).

Also tell us about the fish with white poop; how long has it had the problem and is it eating?

Pat

Mico
11-25-2016, 10:57 AM
55 gallon tank, 4discus (3parrot 1 tortoise), 2platy fish, 1 angel, black sand, temp don't know yet but I have installed 50wat heater I will know soon the temp tomorrow morning after I buy 1 measuring device, water change 1once a week.. Size of discus are about the size of a golf ball but smaller, 5days of white poop I've seen it hanging through the plastic plants, then this morning just as the water temp has been brought they pooped a lot, long white poop

Second Hand Pat
11-25-2016, 11:00 AM
OK, what temp is the heater set to? How much water are you changing? Also increase your water changes to help clear the cloudy eye. Do you have access to metro?
Pat

Mico
11-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Yes it's all the up to 36degrees Celsius about 97 in fahrenheit I know it's above the required but I think the room temp makes up the 82-86fahrenheit and the size of the heater is 50wat to small, I need the measuring device. Water change is about 15%

Mico
11-25-2016, 11:16 AM
the water is not hot, not even warm but clearly its much warmer than the oscar chichild tank which has no heater thx pat.

Candydiscus
11-27-2016, 04:59 AM
Do you even have a glass thermometer or something so you know how hot your water even is ? "not hot" "not warm" doesnt help at all.. Glass thermometers are $1.50 in walmart.. Go get one.

Cloudy eyes is a sign of bad water quality or bacterial infection.. How often do you do water changes and how much ? What are your nitrates and ammonia readings ? White poo doesnt always mean they have flaggellets.. I wish people on these forums would stop recomending metronidazole everytime white poo is mentioned.. This is why germs are becoming resistant people !!! White poo is also a sign of stress.. also white poo happens when a fish doesnt eat for a long time... Are your discus eating ??

If the discus has cloudy eyes my guess would be very poor water quality and stressing the fish out

Filip
11-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Hi Mico and welcome to the forum.
I would reccomend you to go throughout all the sticky subject in the begginer section and learn a bit more about properly keeping discus fish.
They are a little more delicate fish to keep compared to chiclids or other freshwater species and they do require a a lot more cleaning and water changing then all the rest of the freshwater types of fish.
Glass thermonether and a steady temp.(29 C for discus) Is a must have when it comes to keeping any kind of fish.
Parrots are very agresive and big fish to be kept with discus and tortoise is a very messy and dirty also .So this mix will not work together with discus.
Bottom should be bare or only fine grain thin layer of sand , to prevent dirt accumulation in it.
Water changes in your case should be at least 3 times a week x 60, 70 , 80% fresh water .

You've got a lot to change in your set up and tank and a lot to learn if you are about to get serious in succesfull keeping of discus fish.
Good luck Mico.

Ryan925
11-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Hi Mico and welcome to the forum.
I would reccomend you to go throughout all the sticky subject in the begginer section and learn a bit more about properly keeping discus fish.
They are a little more delicate fish to keep compared to chiclids or other freshwater species and they do require a a lot more cleaning and water changing then all the rest of the freshwater types of fish.
Glass thermonether and a steady temp.(29 C for discus) Is a must have when it comes to keeping any kind of fish.
Parrots are very agresive and big fish to be kept with discus and tortoise is a very messy and dirty also .So this mix will not work together with discus.
Bottom should be bare or only fine grain thin layer of sand , to prevent dirt accumulation in it.
Water changes in your case should be at least 3 times a week x 60, 70 , 80% fresh water .

You've got a lot to change in your set up and tank and a lot to learn if you are about to get serious in succesfull keeping of discus fish.
Good luck Mico.

If I'm not mistaken Filip I believe the OP was saying the discus strains are parrot and tortoise?? If so it's quite possible that they are not from the most reputable source as they sound like made-up names for strains, much like the places that sell "fancy" discus...