PDA

View Full Version : 3 Little Things (literally) That Make Life Easier-What Have You Found?

Jenene
11-25-2016, 01:52 PM
I was at Home Depot the other day and I found something that really is so simple but makes my daily routine a lot easier. It got me thinking and I found 2 others that I have been using and thought I would share and see what you have found that simplifies things. For those of you who have been around and already know about it that is great. This is for someone who may be able to use these or has something else to share.

The first is an electric plug that has a switch on it. I bought 2 of them. One for my pump to turn off during feedings and the other is for the power head that I only use to sweep the bottom of the tank before I vacuum. It is really nice to not have to unplug them. Just flip a switch.

The second thing is just one of those removable hooks that you would hang on a wall. I use them on my aging barrel to hang my air stone hose and heater cord so they don't drag on the floor when I roll the barrel across the house to fill it. This is much easier than wrapping them around the handle of the barrel.
The last one is a lawnmower gas syphon. I cut it down and it fits my drain hose perfectly. I can't use a python because of how far my tank is from my sink so I syphon water out the window into a pvc pipe that directs it away from the house. I struggled getting the syphon going until I found this. One quick squeeze and out the water goes.

So if you can use this great, if you have something to share please do. There must be a lot of little tricks up your sleeves. Hope to find some we can all use.

Ryan925
11-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Good idea with the switch. When I get my stand built I am changing my power strip. I found one where each outlet has its own on/off switch above it.

As for your hook goes I use the command Velcro strips all over the place. I have my remote, inkbird, led drivers etc all mounted inside or my cabinet with the Velcro strips

Jenene
11-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Good idea with the switch. When I get my stand built I am changing my power strip. I found one where each outlet has its own on/off switch above it.

As for your hook goes I use the command Velcro strips all over the place. I have my remote, inkbird, led drivers etc all mounted inside or my cabinet with the Velcro strips

Velcro is a great idea. I put a screw in for the Inkbird but the plug is just hanging. I have not seen the strip with the individual on off switches. I am set with the 2 that I have now though.

First post and there is something I can use. Thanks Ryan! (-:

BJK
12-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Going to grab some of those switch outlets ASAP! Great idea!

rickztahone
12-20-2016, 01:04 PM
I prefer this remote switch even better than the switch where you still have to reach down to the outlet itself. Cheap, effective, convenient, my cup of tea.

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555-Weatherproof-Wireless-Converter/dp/B001Q9EFUK/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JK9YHNMT5XQAB684JENH

Willie
12-23-2016, 02:12 PM
1. All my heaters and air pumps are on one circuit and all my lights and water pumps are on a different circuit. Every morning, I shut off the heaters and air pumps, switch on the lights and water pumps, to do my water changes. Then I switch off the circuit with lights and water pump, turn all the heaters and air pumps back on, and go to work.

2. I was able to reduce my water change time by 50% when I won a second Python at the fish club auction!

Willie

Jenene
12-23-2016, 02:48 PM
1. All my heaters and air pumps are on one circuit and all my lights and water pumps are on a different circuit. Every morning, I shut off the heaters and air pumps, switch on the lights and water pumps, to do my water changes. Then I switch off the circuit with lights and water pump, turn all the heaters and air pumps back on, and go to work.

2. I was able to reduce my water change time by 50% when I won a second Python at the fish club auction!

Willie

Very smart! Thanks for sharing.

nicole5085
01-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Funny, I've been thinking about looking to see if such a switch exist for my pump. Going to home Depot asap:)

bluelagoon
01-14-2017, 09:44 AM
I find a timer switch to be the best invention.I never have to worry about turning the lights on and off.The timer works perfect.Cheap scrubby pads for media in my filters from the dollar store work like a charm.

BmoreBraap
01-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Im with Rick on the remote outlets....works perfect for any hidden outlets or surge protectors that you want to conceal. The exact one I use is below, nice thing with that model is you can pair as many outlets as you want on 1 switch, or have 5 different outlets on their own remote switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1484436110&sr=1-3&keywords=Remote+outlet

atlantadiscus
01-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Im with Rick on the remote outlets....works perfect for any hidden outlets or surge protectors that you want to conceal. The exact one I use is below, nice thing with that model is you can pair as many outlets as you want on 1 switch, or have 5 different outlets on their own remote switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1484436110&sr=1-3&keywords=Remote+outlet

Careful what you plug into those.....the description states"power remains off after a power outage" so if you plug your heaters or waterpumps into these,and have a brief power failure,they will not automatically turn back on which could prove deadly to your fish.

BmoreBraap
01-14-2017, 08:26 PM
Careful what you plug into those.....the description states"power remains off after a power outage" so if you plug your heaters or waterpumps into these,and have a brief power failure,they will not automatically turn back on which could prove deadly to your fish.

Definitely a good point to make and I have experienced it once. It has come back on itself after power blips but I check anyway. Luckily im not prone to outages but in case I keep their air pump/sponge filter on a seperate outlet.

Kyla
01-15-2017, 12:25 AM
woah, i have my filter on one of these remote switches! i had no idea it might not turn back on after a power outage. thanks for the heads up!!!

AK420ORIGAMI
04-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Unplug it and see what happens...

AK420ORIGAMI
04-06-2017, 09:00 AM
I use a syphon usually used in the beer brewing industry no more swallowing fish piss.

For getting the last water out of a water change container I use a kayak pump. These are for if you capsize to get the water out of the kayak.

The third thing I found is how to get the exact amount of water in the test tube for testing. I fill the tube all the way to the top, I then while grasping each end in hand slowly drop the open side to almost horizontal. As you do this the water drips out, let it do that till the surface "bubble" touches the bottom of the tube. When returned vertical it if done right will be exactly on the line of the tube. I figured this out several weeks ago and it works all the time now. I just think it is fun too.

tanks
d

Neptune
04-09-2017, 05:21 PM
This allows me to turn the pump on in the basement while I'm upstairs standing by the tank.
So far it has been 100% reliable.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/HS100.html

artursm15
05-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Best thing till now .. attaching garden hose to my tap ..

https://preview.ibb.co/g39u0k/IMG_0082.jpg (https://ibb.co/eVYMfk)

MarkGSmith
06-05-2017, 03:27 PM
1, A plastic beaker with screw on lid for pre filter:
Filter off, lid on, no mess. Carry upside down to sink for a good scrub.

2, Plumbed in aging tank above display tank and drain. Open/close taps for water changes, no more syphon or buckets.

3, Remote control switches as mentioned, I just tested mine and they keep settings, Yay!

Jenene
06-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Wow! Awesome idea! I assume it is food grade plastic right? This is exactly why I started this thread- hoping members would keep adding on.

Thanks for sharing!

MarkGSmith
06-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Yeah Jenene, food grade for 50p from Asda. Maybe a dollar from walmart across the pond!

NeonTetra
06-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Best thing till now .. attaching garden hose to my tap ..

https://preview.ibb.co/g39u0k/IMG_0082.jpg (https://ibb.co/eVYMfk)

+1
I bought the same product!

Ryan925
06-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Love these things

Wemo Mini Smart Plug, Wi-Fi Enabled, Works with Amazon Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBI0A6R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6uXrzb5GENHS4

Jhoussock
07-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Can anyone recommend an outlet with remote that stays on if power is lost? My fx6 is the only thing that eats food faster than my discus...I bought one on amazon for now that doesn't come back on and it is so nice not haveing to open the door and crawl halfway into my stand and unplug my two filters and then plug them in again once food is eaten. Such a good idea stated earlier in this thread but the possible loss of power gives me anxiety��

Jhoussock
07-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Hey guys I just looked at my remote plug and what do you know it has a dial that when Switched to on it will power back on with powerloss. Feel much better now☺️ Here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E5VEBK0/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1499730932&sr=8-16-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=woods+plug+remote&psc=1

LizStreithorst
07-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Everything that makes my life easier costs a lot of money. I think that I've run out of easy stuff.

Clawhammer
07-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Nothing too inventive here but this really makes siphoning sand easy. The bamboo stick helps me reach any and all corners of the tank without getting wet. The best part is that I can adjust the stick up and down which allows me to have the stick sticking out past the siphon. This is a great guide and help prevent sucking up sand. I have 1" deep sand, so I stick the bamboo 1" past the siphon. Better yet, after getting up all the waste, I go back in and use the extended stick to really stir up the sand. Everything that gets stirred up is immediately sucked up by the siphon, which hovers over the sand because the stick acts as a guide. I also suck up a considerable amount of sand, which I rinse and put back in the tank.

Ryan925
08-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Can anyone recommend an outlet with remote that stays on if power is lost? My fx6 is the only thing that eats food faster than my discus...I bought one on amazon for now that doesn't come back on and it is so nice not haveing to open the door and crawl halfway into my stand and unplug my two filters and then plug them in again once food is eaten. Such a good idea stated earlier in this thread but the possible loss of power gives me anxiety��

I am pretty sure the wemo does that I posted in earlier post and your phone is the remote. I'll have to test to be sure

AquaWoman
08-08-2017, 08:55 PM
I may have to copy this idea (bamboo stick). My arms are short and I've always had a hard time vacuuming with the python, this would help me a lot! Thanks! Oh and those blackberries look yummy. ��

Clawhammer
08-08-2017, 09:53 PM
I may have to copy this idea (bamboo stick). My arms are short and I've always had a hard time vacuuming with the python, this would help me a lot! Thanks! Oh and those blackberries look yummy. ��

You will love the convenience and dry arms!

Thanks for the compliment on my Chester blackberries, I had a bumper crop this year. I believe those particular blackberries are now fermenting in a bucket in my basement along with 20 more lbs! I should get about 3 dozen bottles of prime blackberry wine if all goes according to plan :)

SomeFin's Fishy
08-09-2017, 09:06 AM
I use the same remote switch on the pump I use to vacuum the "debris" off the bottom of the tanks. It's extremely useful when vacuuming a number of tanks, especially when you're on the other side of the fish room and need to turn the pump on/off.

Jenene
08-10-2017, 08:18 AM
I love that this thread keeps popping back up and with some really great ideas. This is exactly what I was hoping would happen with this. Thank you and keep 'em coming! :D