PDA

View Full Version : My Fish Room Preview!!

Pompadour Discus
12-04-2016, 08:42 PM
I can't believe I'm actually creating my very own fish room. This idea would have never crossed my mind a year ago. :D

My plan is to have my 120 gallon up and cycling with the Fluval FX6 by December 12th and my 40 gallon sump build completed by Dec 26th and the 75 gallon that will be utilizing that 40g sump up and cycling by Dec 29th. I tried to have my bigger tanks as close as possible to the drain and the utility sink, to make water changes simpler.

My two 40's I plan to use as a grow out tank for any juveniles I purchase or get from breeding. One of my 20 gallons will serve as a QT tank, another 20g will serve as a hospital tank only. The other 2 may serve as a breeding tank if necessary in the future.

The stand the 20s and 40s are on doesn't seem too level but it could be my basement floor. I bought some plastic shims but I was thinking I might brace them to the walls just in case.

All my 20's and 40's I plan to add sponge filters, airstones, and heaters, a real simple setup since they won't be used much right away.

I'm including pics of what I have setup so far. Its taking me longer than I planned due to lack of funds and time. I spent too much on black Friday and now I'm paying for it by working double shifts at work :( I tiled the bottom of my 75G already and have plans to tile all the tanks, each one will feature a different style of tile and I will be sure it will be a color that will compliment my discus.

Once I get all my wedding stuff sold I may make room for a few more tanks, Petco should have another sale soon for the $1 per gallon and I hope to be ready :)

I hope I'm on the right track!

LizStreithorst
12-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Your work it good. Your understanding of structural integrity could be better. The racks should be supported by the floor, not by screws or bolts. On the other hand, most folks build stands the way yours are built and I've never heard the first one say that the stand didn't last.

Pompadour Discus
12-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Your work it good. Your understanding of structural integrity could be better. The racks should be supported by the floor, not by screws or bolts. On the other hand, most folks build stands the way yours are built and I've never heard the first one say that the stand didn't last.

Thanks! i would built them a little differently myself, but I found these at a steal on craigslist and had to grab them. Now that I have them in place they are a little wobbly, not a lot, but enough to cause me some concern. They seemed sturdy in the guys home I purchased them from thats why I believe it may be my floor. But I agree with you on the support types but I don't have a choice at this point really.

LizStreithorst
12-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Shim them up so they're level front to back and end to end then screw them to the wall. Lucky you (not). You get to locate the studs. I hate doing that.

two utes
12-04-2016, 11:29 PM
Shim them up so they're level front to back and end to end then screw them to the wall. Lucky you (not). You get to locate the studs. I hate doing that.

Good advice.
Finding the studs isn't hard at all. In saying that though, I'm not sure if walls are built the same in the United States as they are here in Australia. Usually the plaster sheeting (Gyprock) is glued and screwed to the timber studs that run vertically 18 inches apart. So, you can get a rough idea where they are by measuring from the start of the wall ( a Corner or Edge) I usually knock on the plaster wall horizontally, and you will notice a solid thud when you knock on top of the stud, alternatively purchase a stud finder from your local hardware store.

It didn't take you long at all to catch the discus bug Aja. Good luck with it

Ryan925
12-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Good advice.
Finding the studs isn't hard at all. In saying that though, I'm not sure if walls are built the same in the United States as they are here in Australia. Usually the plaster sheeting (Gyprock) is glued and screwed to the timber studs that run vertically 18 inches apart. So, you can get a rough idea where they are by measuring from the start of the wall ( a Corner or Edge) I usually knock on the plaster wall horizontally, and you will notice a solid thud when you knock on top of the stud, alternatively purchase a stud finder from your local hardware store.

It didn't take you long at all to catch the discus bug Aja. Good luck with it

16" on center in the us Joe.

Studs are really easy to find as Joe stated. Stud finder is inexpensive and pretty reliable.

The wall knocking method works as well not as precise and is some learning curve.

two utes
12-05-2016, 12:09 AM
16" on center in the us Joe.

Studs are really easy to find as Joe stated. Stud finder is inexpensive and pretty reliable.

The wall knocking method works as well not as precise and is some learning curve.

Cheers Ryan :thumbsup:

Pompadour Discus
12-05-2016, 01:19 AM
Thanks everyone! I definitely have a stud finder already and have used it plenty of times for smaller projects. I already bought plastic shims just haven't installed them yet. I will in the morning. I will make sure its good and secure before I add any water. And yes Joe I caught the discus bug fast and its strong!