PDA

View Full Version : ABC's of Discus Nutrition for Dummies

kimberly
12-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Hello Discus Fellow Travelers,
I want my discus to have a healthy well rounded life, so I asked what other fellow discus travelers would do and made myself aware:book: of what nutrition they need. I am going to feed them these daily five basic needs...

Aquatic Suppliers Discus Chow (7am)

Black Worms - cubed dried (11am)

Color Flakes (3pm)

Discusgold premium pellets (8pm)

Extensive WC (9pm)

Frozen Beef Heart (9pm)

:fish:There you have it...the ABC's daily five basic needs. I will see if this bulks-them-up and makes them "well-rounded". I will keep you posted with pics. I have not bought the automatic feeder yet, but my plan is to use it to feed BW and Color Flakes.

Do you think those will give them a grounded fish tank home and create healthy discus? Why or why not? :fish:

Second Hand Pat
12-04-2016, 10:24 PM
Do the WC after feeding beefheart so the fish sleep in a clean tank.
Pat

Ryan925
12-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Only thing I would say is to be careful as to not overfeed them feeding them the pellets and BH back to back. Also I'm assuming the large wc is after the BH?

kimberly
12-04-2016, 10:28 PM
Pat

Yes, it is actually around the same time. I support that. I feed them the BH while I am pouring in the new water, but maybe I will rethink this. It has given them something to do while I change the water. They stay in the opposite corner of where the water is entering. Tonight I fed them most of the BH before the WC. Then I gave them just a little bit of the BH while the new water came in. It actually worked and there was very little to no BH that fell on the bottom... Thanks for your support.

kimberly
12-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Only thing I would say is to be careful as to not overfeed them feeding them the pellets and BH back to back. Also I'm assuming the large wc is after the BH?

Hi Ryan,
I noticed the pellets and BH are close. I won't feed them a lot of the Discusgold pellets. Thanks I support that idea. I think I will probably feed them Discusgold around 6-8pm.
Kimberly

adrian31@outlook.com
12-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Pat

+1

Also make sure your blackworms are the 'Australian' variety, not California ones, Discus much prefer Australian. AL's FDBWs are Australian and are the best from what I've heard, these are actually my Discus' favorite food.

kimberly
12-04-2016, 11:59 PM
+1

Also make sure your blackworms are the 'Australian' variety, not California ones, Discus much prefer Australian. AL's FDBWs are Australian and are the best from what I've heard, these are actually my Discus' favorite food.

Yes, I bought those, too. My fish eat them out of my hand.:o

pitdogg2
12-05-2016, 08:56 AM
+1

Let's not start false rumor's!! There is not one thing wrong with the worms from Dan's California black worms. I have fed freeze dried from both and my fish ate both just as well. It's a slippery slope when one starts needlessly slamming sponsors to the forum here.

John_Nicholson
12-05-2016, 09:01 AM
All I feed is a good beef heart mix twice a day. It has worked wonderfully for 20+ years.

-john

adrian31@outlook.com
12-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Let's not start false rumor's!! There is not one thing wrong with the worms from Dan's California black worms. I have fed freeze dried from both and my fish ate both just as well. It's a slippery slope when one starts needlessly slamming sponsors to the forum here.

pitdogg,

Alright it seems there is another that Discus like. I wasn't needlessly recommending AL's FDBWs but I know Discus love them. I tried California FDBWs ordered from Amazon.com (not Dan's) and my Discus wouldn't touch them. Other members on this forum have stated Discus prefer Australian FDBWs.

Kenny

pitdogg2
12-05-2016, 10:16 AM
pitdogg,

I tried California FDBWs ordered from Amazon.com (not Dan's) and my Discus wouldn't touch them.

Kenny
They are one and the same. There is only one location in the entire United States that produces Blackworm foods either live or freeze dried and it is California Black worms and the owner is Dan.

adrian31@outlook.com
12-05-2016, 10:45 AM
They are one and the same. There is only one location in the entire United States that produces Blackworm foods either live or freeze dried and it is California Black worms and the owner is Dan.

In that case I think Australian FDBWs are the better recommendation. I'd recommend AL's any day.

These are the ones my fish didn't like:

Blackworms with Beef Heart, Freeze Dried California Blackworms… 200gram
Sold by: Aquatic Foods & Blackworm Co.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYURTGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pitdogg2
12-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Maybe it was the freeze dried beef heart within the worm that your fish turned their nose up at. I have only used straight fdbw from both. The Australian IME are a little smaller than the California bw. That seems to be the consensus here.

bluelagoon
12-05-2016, 11:10 AM
The FDBW's in my opinion is all you need for high protein and cleaner than beef heart.I don't think they need both.Beef heart is cheap if that's the way you want to go,but from my experience it fouls the water a lot more than the dried worms.A good staple food in their main diet is all you need for adult discus.I like to,on occasion offer other things like raw sea food any time I have it.A variety will keep them from becoming picky.I have yet to buy a brand of flake food that my fish won't eat.

Neptune
12-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Rookie here, but my fish have never gotten beef heart.
flakes, pellets and FDBW from California...

They tear up the FDBW like no ones business! Its a BIG shoving match to get at them!

warblad79
12-05-2016, 06:02 PM
+1

Please don't give biased opinion and recommending or leaning only towards one sponsor especially If you don't have first hand experience with California black worm . I already tried them both and they are pretty much alike.

kimberly
12-05-2016, 11:55 PM
All I feed is a good beef heart mix twice a day. It has worked wonderfully for 20+ years.

-john

John,
I noticed a few recipes for beef heart on here. How long did it take you to master your recipe? I think I read yours. It looked lengthly. I also checked my grocer for beef heart. He did not sell it.

kimberly
12-06-2016, 12:00 AM
Pat

Thanks Pat. I am so glad to have so much support on here.

John_Nicholson
12-06-2016, 08:40 AM
I do not know exactly. I have been making it for so many years it is just second nature. There is no one way to do it. Down here lots of places do not carry it but will order it for you.

-john

RogueDiscus
12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Hi Kimberly,
I read your other thread too and it sounds like you're trying to feed lots of good food. I would just encourage you to consider fewer feedings. I've never done more than three feedings and my fish have filled out nicely. It's easier to manage, also. You could pick one or two foods to feed daily, and mix up the third feeding if you really wanted to feed all those different foods.

Ryan925
12-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Hi Kimberly,
I read your other thread too and it sounds like you're trying to feed lots of good food. I would just encourage you to consider fewer feedings. I've never done more than three feedings and my fish have filled out nicely. It's easier to manage, also. You could pick one or two foods to feed daily, and mix up the third feeding if you really wanted to feed all those different foods.

+1 i feed mine at 5am, noon and 7pm. I have grown them from 3"-5.5/6" and they are now getting to that size where they have really started to thicken up.

I had always fed just fdbw and bh but recently have mixed in flakes and pellets

kimberly
12-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Hi Kimberly,

Rogue,
I noticed that you are breeding fish and sound happy. I am happy for you. I appreciate your reply. It is so good to be surrounded by people who love discus as much as I do. I am enjoying giving them a variety of food because I know it is healthy for them. I will cut back to three feedings. I think Blackworms in the am, flakes in the afternoon, and BH in the evening. Do you think BW and BH both in one day are a bit much? I think I heard that they are both similar in nutrition.

kimberly
12-06-2016, 08:06 PM
+1 i feed mine at 5am, noon and 7pm. I have grown them from 3"-5.5/6" and they are now getting to that size where they have really started to thicken up.

I had always fed just fdbw and bh but recently have mixed in flakes and pellets

Ryan,
I think I support you because I am leaning towards the exact same feedings and times. I am not kidding. It is just how things are coming together for me now. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It feels so good to be here. Did I already say that?
hehe

RogueDiscus
12-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Rogue,
I noticed that you are breeding fish and sound happy. I am happy for you. I appreciate your reply. It is so good to be surrounded by people who love discus as much as I do. I am enjoying giving them a variety of food because I know it is healthy for them. I will cut back to three feedings. I think Blackworms in the am, flakes in the afternoon, and BH in the evening. Do you think BW and BH both in one day are a bit much? I think I heard that they are both similar in nutrition.

I think that feeding plan would be fine.

adrian31@outlook.com
12-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Please don't give biased opinion and recommending or leaning only towards one sponsor especially If you don't have first hand experience with California black worm . I already tried them both and they are pretty much alike.

I do have first hand experience with both and am recommending accordingly. I tried two types of California FDBWs and my 11 Discus didn't eat them. The Australian ones, though they looked the same to me, were apparently completely different to my Discus.

EDIT: I'm actually leaning towards what I think is good advice only. I've heard at least two other forum members post about the Australian FDBWs being better liked than the California ones.

FYI I'm american born & bred and have no stake in any of the sponsors.

Hart24601
12-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Just my personal experiences here:

I have tired several orders of the cali ones after hearing about FDBW on this site. My fish never really seemed to care much for them, in fact I ended up using them in other tanks because the discus never warmed up to them. I tried several blends they offer.

I decided to try the aussie ones just to see if there was a difference. I know they are the same species so I only bought a small amount off ebay (I don't know if they are Al's or not, similar price and blends - but this guy ships from Canada so they might have the same source). Night and day difference. I don't know if it's the processing or what but there is a huge feeding response change.

I have actually placed several orders now of the aussie ones off ebay and have been very happy. Just bought 200g more today.

Just my experience with the two.

I have ordered quite a few pounds of live cali BW over the years and even the frozen ones once and they were fantastic. Just the FD ones my fish didn't like much. No idea why.

PAR23
12-07-2016, 12:03 PM
In my experience, it's what you feed and not so much how many times you feed. I started in the beginning feeding 5-6 times a day with various types of food but when I switched over to BH mix feeding twice a day, I noticed I was getting bigger and thicker discus. IMO, nothing can compete against a good BH mix.
I eventually stopped feeding them BH mix because I just didn't have the time to keep up with the WC. Running and maintaining 600G without an automated system became a job and a burden....hence my departure from the hobby until just recently.
Figure out what works for you because that will help maintain longevity in this hobby.

kimberly
12-08-2016, 11:21 PM
In my experience, it's what you feed and not so much how many times you feed. I started in the beginning feeding 5-6 times a day with various types of food but when I switched over to BH mix feeding twice a day, I noticed I was getting bigger and thicker discus. IMO, nothing can compete against a good BH mix.
I eventually stopped feeding them BH mix because I just didn't have the time to keep up with the WC. Running and maintaining 600G without an automated system became a job and a burden....hence my departure from the hobby until just recently.
Figure out what works for you because that will help maintain longevity in this hobby.

Pete,
I support that. Well said. I think I will take that to heart and make sure this hobby remains enjoyable and not a burden. So far it is not a burden. i do want to make my own BH mix soon. Right now I do a 50% WC each day with the filters off and I empty and rinse them. I feed them three times a day now with a good nutritional diet as advised on here. I also vac up the uneaten food with the filter off after each feeding.

Thanks to everyone on here, I am doing an amazing job.

kimberly
12-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Just my personal experiences here:

I have tired several orders of the cali ones after hearing about FDBW on this site. My fish never really seemed to care much for them, in fact I ended up using them in other tanks because the discus never warmed up to them. I tried several blends they offer.

I decided to try the aussie ones just to see if there was a difference. I know they are the same species so I only bought a small amount off ebay (I don't know if they are Al's or not, similar price and blends - but this guy ships from Canada so they might have the same source). Night and day difference. I don't know if it's the processing or what but there is a huge feeding response change.

I have actually placed several orders now of the aussie ones off ebay and have been very happy. Just bought 200g more today.

Just my experience with the two.

I have ordered quite a few pounds of live cali BW over the years and even the frozen ones once and they were fantastic. Just the FD ones my fish didn't like much. No idea why.

Hart,
Thank you for your support and sharing your experience. I really am glad to be here. It means a lot to hear the shares. I am noticing that I am not alone.

Rapture
12-08-2016, 11:58 PM
I make a beef/seafood/veggie/various flakes/vitamins/etc mix so that they get a balanced diet and can't be picky about the form it comes in since it is all mixed together. Only feed as much as they can eat over about 10 minutes or so. If they're picky about one kind of food, they may leave it in the water and make it dirty, which will take you a few steps back from your goal of large round discus.

cuprajake
12-09-2016, 05:57 AM
ive recently got a group of 6 discus all 6" from a good breeder here in the uk,

they have been fed soley on his bh mix and tetra granuals,

ive fed bh a couple times, and they have pretty much not been bothered, they love the granuals, ive also added discus gran wild and d50, along with my mysis, brine frozen food etc, they love that lot and eat it

so no bh for me

kimberly
12-09-2016, 07:34 PM
I make a beef/seafood/veggie/various flakes/vitamins/etc mix so that they get a balanced diet and can't be picky about the form it comes in since it is all mixed together. Only feed as much as they can eat over about 10 minutes or so. If they're picky about one kind of food, they may leave it in the water and make it dirty, which will take you a few steps back from your goal of large round discus.

Rapture,
I hear you. Thank you for your support. It feels good to be surrounded by great experiences and stories.

kimberly
12-11-2016, 11:16 AM
pitdogg,

Alright it seems there is another that Discus like. I wasn't needlessly recommending AL's FDBWs but I know Discus love them. I tried California FDBWs ordered from Amazon.com (not Dan's) and my Discus wouldn't touch them. Other members on this forum have stated Discus prefer Australian FDBWs.

Kenny

Kenny,
I noticed you have beautiful fish. I have 6 medium/small discus. Do you think 1 block of FDBW is enough for breakfast? Why or why not?

Neptune
12-11-2016, 12:27 PM
I have grown my discus up from about 1.5"-2" in July to about 4-4.5" today.

I feed them Hikari Discus Gold pellets in the morning at 7am as I'm going out the door for work.
Omega flakes with an autofeeder at 10:30am
pellets again at 4pm when I get home
then when they were small, 1/2 cube FDBW between 7-8pm
Now as they are bigger its a whole cube (California BW's by the way. They ALL fight to get at them!)

I have never fed beef heart or other raw meat products....but I'm thinking about venison.

adrian31@outlook.com
12-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Kenny,
I noticed you have beautiful fish. I have 6 medium/small discus. Do you think 1 block of FDBW is enough for breakfast? Why or why not?

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks, I have eleven now and love all of them of course, but just wish I could have hand-picked them myself as I would have been more satisfied initially.

Regarding the amount to feed, it depends on exactly how big they are. Ex/ there's a significant mass difference between a 3" and a 4" Discus. You want them to get 'full bellies' (if you're 'growing out') but be wary of overfeeding. I've noticed a couple fish from my fish batch would get full bellies (after about 5 minutes of eating) but then just keep eating. Then the next day these fish would be lethargic and barley eat at all. The fish I have now are larger and eat slower than ones in my first batch, so I let them eat for about 20 minutes then I start cleanup/siphoning. My larger tank 180gal is a better situation than my first tank 55gal, and I'm able to spread out the food and all my fish get full bellies, and the next meal they're ready to eat again.

You just have to get a feel for it I guess. I hope this helps.

Kenny

EDIT: I'll add that my situation the last week has been in flux due to failing at my home-made recipe, so using normal 98% fat free ground beef in garlic guard (so messy) waiting on my LPS to get BH, and also waiting for Rickztazone's feeding cones for my FDBWs. Due to all of this, and that I feed the ground beef + 4 cubes FDBWs at two of their meals and my tank get unbelievably messy, I've been doing 60% + 40% daily WC this past week. *but all my Discus are eating well, happy, and growing.

Neptune
12-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Feeding time! Here piggy piggy!

kimberly
12-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Feeding time! Here piggy piggy!

Haha
Thanks for sharing.

I'll post mine soon, too.