PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning for Dummies

kimberly
12-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Dear Discus Fellow Travelers,

I have always done things a certain way, but I am learning that that is not always the best. I am not aware of any issues yet, but I wanted to ask the experts something...

I noticed that I am putting a lot of salt and conditioner in my water. I think I am suppose to put a tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons, but I always feel like that is a lot per daily water change, so I have been putting a tablespoon per ten gallons... What do you think? Why?

I put a capful of water conditioner per water change each day, also. What do you think? Why?

Ryan925
12-06-2016, 10:14 PM
I don't believe you need to dose salt on a regular basis. I believe salt is usually dosed for specific reasons.

As far as conditioner. You will always want to dose enough for entire tank volume when doing a wc. Depending on what product you are using that will vary.

I do approx 70%-80% every other day in my 75 and I dose 2 caps of prime. I think dose calls for cap and a half but for me it's easier just to drop 2 caps.

kimberly
12-06-2016, 10:55 PM
I don't believe you need to dose salt on a regular basis. I believe salt is usually dosed for specific reasons.

As far as conditioner. You will always want to dose enough for entire tank volume when doing a wc. Depending on what product you are using that will vary.

I do approx 70%-80% every other day in my 75 and I dose 2 caps of prime. I think dose calls for cap and a half but for me it's easier just to drop 2 caps.

Ryan,
Thanks for your support. I will back off on the salt. I thought something was wrong with putting too much in. I am glad you said something.

Ryan925
12-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Ryan,
Thanks for your support. I will back off on the salt. I thought something was wrong with putting too much in. I am glad you said something.

Yw

I'm sure there are others that can give you more info on when and why to use salt.

I believe salt is used in somw cases to promote healing or help with digestion issues but don't quote me on that.

For subjects like this the search feature is very handy

Neptune
12-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Salts are often used as a cure for various ailments. For example, epsom salts can aide in constipation.
Tablespoon for 5 gallons is a fair amount of salt.

If you have plants they really don't like the salt.

Unless you have some ailment you are trying to fix I would not add salt daily.

adrian31@outlook.com
12-07-2016, 12:37 AM
Hi Kimberly:

See below for a good post by Carol here that I saved for my own reference:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?25743-Difference-between-Epsom-salt-and-regular-salt

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a laxitive. It will help constipated, bloated fish pass feces (poop). You use 1 or 2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons of tank water. Disolve the epsom salt in a cup of water and pour into tank. It should work in 2 to 4 hours. You can redose after 4 hours, but if it hasn't worked in 24 hours, it probably won't work at all.

Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps discus gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations. A typical dose is 1 or 2 tablespoons per ten gallon of tank water disolved in a cup and poured in tank. This treatment usually lasts a week or so.

To keep the salt concentration stable you must add more salt when you add clean water to the tank. Let's say you have removed 10 gallons of water for a water change and will be adding 10 gallons of clean water back. Add another 1 or 2 tablespoons salt to replace the salt lost through water change.

While epsom salt and regular salt are good on an occasional basis it is not good to have them in the tank all the time.

Fish Tank Travis
12-07-2016, 08:12 AM
So, I have the aquarium salt that comes in a cardboard carton. Is it good to add this on a regular basis, or should it only be used if needed?

I feel like if it helps their gill functions, then it might be useful in small concentrations on a regular basis, but I would like to hear from some more experienced discus keepers first.

Thank you!

kimberly
12-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Hi Kimberly:

See below for a good post by Carol here that I saved for my own reference:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?25743-Difference-between-Epsom-salt-and-regular-salt

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a laxitive. It will help constipated, bloated fish pass feces (poop). You use 1 or 2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons of tank water. Disolve the epsom salt in a cup of water and pour into tank. It should work in 2 to 4 hours. You can redose after 4 hours, but if it hasn't worked in 24 hours, it probably won't work at all.

Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps discus gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations. A typical dose is 1 or 2 tablespoons per ten gallon of tank water disolved in a cup and poured in tank. This treatment usually lasts a week or so.

To keep the salt concentration stable you must add more salt when you add clean water to the tank. Let's say you have removed 10 gallons of water for a water change and will be adding 10 gallons of clean water back. Add another 1 or 2 tablespoons salt to replace the salt lost through water change.

While epsom salt and regular salt are good on an occasional basis it is not good to have them in the tank all the time.

Hi Kenny,
I noticed you answered my question to the tee. That is exactly what I was wondering. Okay. i support that. I hear you and I will do so accordingly. Thanks for your support!
Kimberly

kimberly
12-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Salts are often used as a cure for various ailments. For example, epsom salts can aide in constipation.
Tablespoon for 5 gallons is a fair amount of salt.

If you have plants they really don't like the salt.

Unless you have some ailment you are trying to fix I would not add salt daily.

Neptune,
I am glad you replied. I am not going to add it daily. I appreciate your experience. Thanks for sharing.
Kimberly

Bill63SG
12-08-2016, 12:49 PM
I have never added salt except epsomn when there was bloat.No need for salt at all.I belive I may have read somewhere to use when fish has an actual wound,but on a regular basis,never.

Larry Bugg
12-08-2016, 02:14 PM
So, I have the aquarium salt that comes in a cardboard carton. Is it good to add this on a regular basis, or should it only be used if needed?

I feel like if it helps their gill functions, then it might be useful in small concentrations on a regular basis, but I would like to hear from some more experienced discus keepers first.

Thank you!

There is no reason to add salt on a regular basis.

adrian31@outlook.com
12-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Hi Kenny,
I noticed you answered my question to the tee. That is exactly what I was wondering. Okay. i support that. I hear you and I will do so accordingly. Thanks for your support!
Kimberly

You're very welcome Kimberly,

Although many here will help with questions, a lot of times they won't have the ideal & complete answer at the ready. But if it's Discus related then its most likely already been covered here at some point. I'm pretty sure they archive the past forum history, so as Ryan said searching a topic is a very good tool to use here. It can also be quicker than waiting for someone to answer it.

Kenny