PDA

View Full Version : New setup

8MrSteel
12-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Background:

I haven't kept that many fish before, I mostly have grown out koi fish and manged to get on to about 16 inches long before i had to give him up as he was getting to big for my aquarium. I recently moved and im starting all over again and would hopefully like to grow out some Discus.
Current Plans:
I want to build a good and comfortable home for a bunch of Discus fish to live in for a while.

Tank Setup:

Its a 40 Gallon tank with dimension of 36 inches wide, 21 inches tall and 18 inches deep

Decor: Either BB tank or a tank with grass and some Rotala plant

Water: 75% water changes every 2-3 days

Filtration: Aqua clear 50

Stocking: I want to just grow out maybe 2-3 Discus.

Feeding: I intend to feed blood worms but im still fuzzy on the feeding part.(Doing more research)

Goals: Want to watch them grow and look amazing in the tank

NeonTetra
12-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Background:

I haven't kept that many fish before, I mostly have grown out koi fish and manged to get on to about 16 inches long before i had to give him up as he was getting to big for my aquarium. I recently moved and im starting all over again and would hopefully like to grow out some Discus.
Current Plans:
I want to build a good and comfortable home for a bunch of Discus fish to live in for a while.

Tank Setup:

Its a 40 Gallon tank with dimension of 36 inches wide, 21 inches tall and 18 inches deep

Decor: Either BB tank or a tank with grass and some Rotala plant

Water: 75% water changes every 2-3 days

Filtration: Aqua clear 50

Stocking: I want to just grow out maybe 2-3 Discus.

Feeding: I intend to feed blood worms but im still fuzzy on the feeding part.(Doing more research)

Goals: Want to watch them grow and look amazing in the tank

Ok, first of all you need to read this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?125704-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus it helped me alot

You need 10 gallons per discus

Discus are schooling fish, minimum recommended it is 6, why? One of the six will be the lider and he will bully the other ones, so if you have more discus the bullying will divide (less bullying recieved, less stress)

Decor: Go BB for sure, no plants, nothing, it is much more easier, why? Few people say this: you want the discus that you have googled, 5 or 6 inches and nice color, the ugly truth it is that for having them you need to feed them very well for at least 6 to 12 months until they reach their "google potential" xD (if you buy them of 2.5 or 3 inches). BF it is messy and cleaning it is much more easy in a BB, any food will be easier to clean in a BB

Quality water has the same importance of food: Want big discus: Feed 2 times a day Beef Heart mix (morning and night) 1 WC of at least 50% every day

Below the average growth of Stendker discus. This info came from Discus Hans.

2 - 2 1/2" = 3 months of age
3 - 3 1/2" = 4 1/2 months of age
4" = 6 months of age
5" = 9 months of age
6" = 18 months of age
7"+ = 2 year.

Filtration: the easiest filtrations is: sponge filter but i think that filter will do the work

Good luck!

8MrSteel
12-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply. I cant afford to buy 6 Discus and buy a 60 gallon tank. So do you think having 4 would be fine

NeonTetra
12-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Your welcome :)

I dont have experience with 4 discus tank, sorry

Maybe this old post can help you! http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?28798-How-many-discus-in-a-40-gallon

Phillydubs
12-08-2016, 10:38 PM
I would do 5 if you can... w big water changes you will be fine but eventually things may get cramped.

What about a pair of discus ?