PDA

View Full Version : Filter Set up for Bottomless Tank

kimberly
12-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Good evening all,
I recently noticed that my tank is spotless with daily 50% WC, turning off of my filters during feeds, and vac clean up after each feed. I empty my filters, thang hang on back, a few times a week. I have a 60 gallon with 6 medium size discus. I just bought them in March 2016.

What do you think about the filter set up?

Currently I have three systems:
1. a sponge filter and
2. Aqua Clear power filters 50. It has foam, carbon, and biomax.
3. Aqual Clear power filter 20. it has foam only

Do you think I need all three systems? Why or why not?

atlantadiscus
12-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Are both Fluvals canister filters,or hang on back type? What model numbers?

kimberly
12-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Are both Fluvals canister filters,or hang on back type? What model numbers?

Thanks for asking. I need to edit and clarify that. Sorry
Aqua Clear 50 gallon and 20 gallon

They hang on the back.

atlantadiscus
12-10-2016, 08:52 PM
No harm in leaving all 3 running obviously.You could probably eliminate one if you wanted though,especially if you plan on keeping up with your daily water change routine.I would probably keep things as is,unless you have a specific reason for wanting to change.The beauty in having multiple filters,is if one breaks while you are away,you have backup....or if you have to set up a secondary tank {quarantine or hospital} you can move one over immediately and be in business without compromising your main tanks filtration.I run 2 return pumps in my sump for that reason,if one dies,the other will allow filtration to continue til I replace the dead one.Concept works for having multiple heaters too.

kimberly
12-10-2016, 09:37 PM
No harm in leaving all 3 running obviously.You could probably eliminate one if you wanted though,especially if you plan on keeping up with your daily water change routine.I would probably keep things as is,unless you have a specific reason for wanting to change.The beauty in having multiple filters,is if one breaks while you are away,you have backup....or if you have to set up a secondary tank {quarantine or hospital} you can move one over immediately and be in business without compromising your main tanks filtration.I run 2 return pumps in my sump for that reason,if one dies,the other will allow filtration to continue til I replace the dead one.Concept works for having multiple heaters too.

Atlanta,
I feel relieved. Thanks for sharing. You're right. I forgot about the back up idea. I did that without knowing. I guess I need to give myself more credit than I am. I am doing really well with my discus and sometimes I doubt myself.

Got it. I will keep all three.

Phillydubs
12-10-2016, 10:40 PM
He nailed it... yoj couldnhet rid of the 20 or upgrade to a 110 say but if it ain't broke don't fix it....

If one does gomokt you have backups and you sound like you are way in too of filter majtnence so just relax and enjoy.

Willie
12-16-2016, 02:57 PM
There is no such thing as over-filtration. I have a 40 breeder for spawning my plecos. It has 4 sets of double stacked Hydro V's running with airstones. I also keep several sets smaller sponge filters in there to seed, which I use for fish shows. Every additional filter I add makes the tank a little cleaner.

Willie

kimberly
12-16-2016, 10:06 PM
There is no such thing as over-filtration. I have a 40 breeder for spawning my plecos. It has 4 sets of double stacked Hydro V's running with airstones. I also keep several sets smaller sponge filters in there to seed, which I use for fish shows. Every additional filter I add makes the tank a little cleaner.

Willie

Willie,
Thanks for listening to me. I am so glad to be here, really. After I read the posts, I kept all three running. I clean the three times a week. I rinse them with the tank water, and I noticed that all three filters stay clean especially with 50% water changes each day. I even unplug the filters during feeding. Gosh, I have never seen my tank looks so crystal clean. The fish seem to love it because they are growing and more colorful than ever!

rickztahone
12-16-2016, 11:29 PM
You can run a sponge on its own and you'll still be fine.

Filip
12-19-2016, 04:31 AM
Good evening all,
I recently noticed that my tank is spotless with daily 50% WC, turning off of my filters during feeds, and vac clean up after each feed. I empty my filters, thang hang on back, a few times a week. I have a 60 gallon with 6 medium size discus. I just bought them in March 2016.

What do you think about the filter set up?

Currently I have three systems:
1. a sponge filter and
2. Aqua Clear power filters 50. It has foam, carbon, and biomax.
3. Aqual Clear power filter 20. it has foam only

Do you think I need all three systems? Why or why not?

The only thing you need to worry about when over filtering is too much water current .Otherwise the more the better , you cant overdo filtration IMO .

kimberly
12-20-2016, 01:24 PM
You can run a sponge on its own and you'll still be fine.

Thank you for your support. I was wondering that.