PDA

View Full Version : disappointed in my DIY purigen reactor.

Neptune
12-14-2016, 11:55 PM
I built a DIY purigen reactor today with a cheap 10" filter canister.
Works exactly like any commercial reactor but...
I was hoping it would hold more media ...it doesn't.
I was hoping it would have a larger water flow rate...it doesn't.

So although cheaper, cost about $20 to build, not counting the pump, but I want better performance.
I may try one with the 10" big clear 4.5" dia canister

two utes
12-15-2016, 05:30 AM
I built a DIY purigen reactor today with a cheap 10" filter canister.
Works exactly like any commercial reactor but...
I was hoping it would hold more media ...it doesn't.

So although cheaper, cost about $20 to build, not counting the pump, but I want better performance.
I may try one with the 10" big clear 4.5" dia canister

Don't know if it would work, but have you though about running another 10'' canister filter parallel to it? Providing your pump is strong enough the water should flow through. Maybe run different media in the second unit....Just a thought

Neptune
12-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Don't know if it would work, but have you though about running another 10'' canister filter parallel to it? Providing your pump is strong enough the water should flow through. Maybe run different media in the second unit....Just a thought

I was thinking of trying that, but I figured the flow rate would be too difficult to control between the two. I would think the first one would always have a faster rate than the second.

I'm going to try the larger 4.5" diameter one. Might be the ticket.

But I did learn one thing....tough to beat the phosban 150 for just a simple, quick down and dirty reactor.

SomeFin's Fishy
12-15-2016, 10:51 AM

Keep in mind that any "reactor" used for Purigen will have a slower flow rate. In order to work correctly, the Purigen should be suspended in the water column. Too fast a flow rate and the media will be become packed around the out-flow and you won't get the same results. If you just want to use Purigen along with your regular filtration system, then you can just put it in a media bag as you would any other media, but it's effectiveness will probably be reduced.

pitdogg2
12-15-2016, 11:12 AM
you will need very little flow through to work or its going to fail. Mine ran on less than 30gph FYI you cannot put full force pump you will need to restrict it somehow. I use a aquarium Systems 404 pump turned way down.

Neptune
12-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Yep aware of all the issues with Purigen. The real design constraint is that Purigen is just slightly more dense than water. So as others have mentioned, ANY high flow rate is going to kick it out. But flow rate can be adjusted with a valve OR a larger container.
(Bernoulli?)

I don't consider the bags much of an alternative. Flow rates through the bags won't be as good as fluidized bed, it is much more expensive per bag. I want to achieve the highest flow rate I can through the largest amount of Purigen I can.
I'm after the Holy Grail of Purigen reactors!! ;)

It might be the wider canister or the taller canister.
I really like the idea of the way the one is constructed in the Wow Factor stickie, but the tall canister is not practical in a cabinet. The nice thing about that design is it incorporates a pleated filter into the outflow tube!

Neptune
12-15-2016, 01:27 PM
ok WHY is that bigger canister so outrageously expensive in the clear??? aRRRGGhhhh

gators111
12-15-2016, 05:46 PM
I've been looking into this setup too. Currently, I'm using an Aquatop MR20, which does a good job. But man is it a pain to get the purigen out to recharge it and fill it back up. I was thinking of going with an empty deionizer cartridge filter and filling that up with purigen.

Neptune
12-15-2016, 06:43 PM
That will work OK,
But a couple things to think about.
You will have to put something into the DI cartridge so the Purigen doesn't exit the cartridge.
You won't get a lot in there. You don't want to pack it like DI resin.

Other than that it will work.

CraigJ
12-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Hi Neptune,

I've had good luck using the Omni OB5 filter which can easily hold a liter of Purigen, if needed. If I wanted more room on the inside, I could just use 1/2" PVC instead of 3/4". Not bad for a $12 filter housing, I think.

As has been mentioned, a slow flow rate is preferred.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/543/31296929060_c417cab370_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PFAWDb)

Neptune
12-15-2016, 08:39 PM
Do you happen to know the diameter of the housing? Is it bigger than a standard RO 10" canister?
Do you reverse the flow? That is water goes in the "out" port?

CraigJ
12-15-2016, 08:55 PM
I believe this filter is a standard 10" canister as most take similar cartridges. It is a little over 5" wide at the top. Yes, the flow is reversed so the flow comes out of the center (bottom) of the filter canister.

I have followed Afriend's directions for some of my build. If you want more internal room in your current canister, wouldn't 1/2" pvc solve this?

gators111
12-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Liking the reactor, Craig. I can't believe Seachem hasn't either made their own or paired up with someone to produce a Purigen reactor. It's all about the dollar, and they could make a bunch if they did.