PDA

View Full Version : using a house sump pump

Neptune
12-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Does anyone use these for moving water in their aging setups?

I'm thinking of moving my current system way down into the basement furnace room, two stories below my tank.
Would do a couple valves to a garden hose kind of setup?

rickztahone
12-23-2016, 04:24 PM
You have to look at the head height with these. Getting them to work vertically is a real challenge for many of these.

Neptune
12-23-2016, 04:32 PM
yes, gotta make sure it can move water to correct head height!
Thinking of trying this!

Jack L
12-24-2016, 12:18 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IJR5F6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i use this.
from basement to 1st floor. my testing showed that length of hose bigger constraint on output then head pressure.

Neptune
12-24-2016, 01:06 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IJR5F6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i use this.
from basement to 1st floor. my testing showed that length of hose bigger constraint on output then head pressure.

That is exactly the one I looked at. Menard's has it locally for $48.00 Going to give it a try.
Any tips or tricks with it?
How do you like the float switch? I was thinking of going with a wireless switch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Control-Devices-Anywhere-HS100/dp/B0178IC734/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1482599154&sr=8-5&keywords=wireless+outlet

Jack L
12-24-2016, 01:44 PM
i removed the float switch, it was a PIA for my purpose.

i bought a remote outlet switch that Ricardo recommended. that has worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q9EFUK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i want to get a 3/4 or 1" hose to speed up WC time, but just haven't done that yet. those hoses are $$$

Neptune
12-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Picked up one of those pumps today.

I have to move everything down to the basement/furnace room/fish room. A remote switch would not work so I picked up one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Control-Devices-Anywhere-HS100/dp/B0178IC734/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482789122&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link

It works! Breeze to setup, moved it to the fish room and tried it....its good to go, I can turn the pump on and off with my Ipad from anywhere!
Only thing about the plug...really dumb design! When you plug it into the outlet it covers the other outlet! DUMB!

LizStreithorst
12-26-2016, 06:21 PM
i removed the float switch, it was a PIA for my purpose.

i bought a remote outlet switch that Ricardo recommended. that has worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q9EFUK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i want to get a 3/4 or 1" hose to speed up WC time, but just haven't done that yet. those hoses are $$$

Those hoses cost a bundle but they last a life time. The green one is actually a 3/4" hose with 1" fittings. The white ones are true 1" hoses. their hardware is better, too.

Jack L
12-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Picked up one of those pumps today.

I have to move everything down to the basement/furnace room/fish room. A remote switch would not work so I picked up one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Control-Devices-Anywhere-HS100/dp/B0178IC734/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482789122&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link

It works! Breeze to setup, moved it to the fish room and tried it....its good to go, I can turn the pump on and off with my Ipad from anywhere!
Only thing about the plug...really dumb design! When you plug it into the outlet it covers the other outlet! DUMB!

the remote one I use won't work? due to range issues?

a 1' extension cord could maybe help with socket spacing.

Jack L
12-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Those hoses cost a bundle but they last a life time. The green one is actually a 3/4" hose with 1" fittings. The white ones are true 1" hoses. their hardware is better, too.

green one?

LizStreithorst
12-26-2016, 08:22 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200654335_200654335

Jack L
12-26-2016, 09:04 PM
ah..thanks. i'd be in at $105 then. i found a fabric one that is 1" but its not long enough.

LizStreithorst
12-26-2016, 09:46 PM
It will last for the rest of your life.

Al posted something a while back about a 1" hose he found that looks real good and doesn't cost a fortune. I looked for the thread but couldn't find it. You may want to shoot him a PM.

nc0gnet0
12-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Does anyone use these for moving water in their aging setups?

I'm thinking of moving my current system way down into the basement furnace room, two stories below my tank.
Would do a couple valves to a garden hose kind of setup?

So, you essentially pumping the water up 16-20' through a 5/8" garden hose? I would advise against it. Most of those pumps are oil filled by the way, and the hotter they run, the more likely they are going to leach oil into the water. Your better off going this route:

You might want to consider adding an inline pump on the second floor to help with flow.

Jack L
12-27-2016, 09:49 PM
i'm pumping it out of a 55 gallon barrel

Leland F.
12-27-2016, 10:39 PM
I've not seen a oil filled sump pump leak oil yet. If the oil would somehow get out, it would be very obvious, and float to the top of the water, not mix into it, and water would then get into the pump housing and short it out fairly quickly. The pump wouldn't work long if it would by chance leak.

-Leland

Jack L
12-27-2016, 10:52 PM
ahhh....this has caught my eye, 2 of them might just be the length i need. though i'd prefer a single longer hose.
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-SPDK-Discharge-24-Feet/dp/B004XQYK76/ref=pd_sim_60_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=923NTSFE6YMS2RN30HMG

my guess it it would cup my fill time in half compared to the garden hose.

LizStreithorst
12-27-2016, 11:06 PM
But this is a discharge pump. There is no info on what it's made of. I'm not sure I would trust it for pumping water into a tank.

Neptune
12-27-2016, 11:07 PM
the remote one I use won't work? due to range issues?

a 1' extension cord could maybe help with socket spacing.

Correct, the little key fob ones don't reach down into my basement! I wish! Would have saved me $20.
But it is cool to turn on the pump with my phone!

I plumbed everything up and moved the RO unit today and filled a barrel to age. I'll give it the full acid test tomorrow with a full on WC.
I put a section of hose on the pump and then put a quick disconnect on the end of it.
I should be able to siphon into the laundry room sink, then quick connect to the barrel and hit the on button.

LizStreithorst
12-27-2016, 11:09 PM
Sorry. I meant to say that it's a discharge hose.

Neptune
12-27-2016, 11:10 PM
But this is a discharge pump. There is no info on what it's made of. I'm not sure I would trust it for pumping water into a tank.

Are you talking about my pump?
If yes, says on the box all thermoplastic. Also says requires water to lubricate and cool.

hahah typing while you posted "hose"!

Jack L
12-27-2016, 11:20 PM

polyethylene hose

Jack L
12-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Correct, the little key fob ones don't reach down into my basement! I wish! Would have saved me $20.
But it is cool to turn on the pump with my phone!

I plumbed everything up and moved the RO unit today and filled a barrel to age. I'll give it the full acid test tomorrow with a full on WC.
I put a section of hose on the pump and then put a quick disconnect on the end of it.
I should be able to siphon into the laundry room sink, then quick connect to the barrel and hit the on button.

i hope tplink outlets are more reliable for you than my tplink router...

i use that one i posted, it works as it is close range, but i get a little worried about @$$ dialing it, so i have a ball valve on the end of my hose that i keep closed until i'm ready to refill.
the remote is great, i used to make my son run to the basement, the do a floor stomping code that i needed more water. needless to say..the remote is wayyyyyy better.

i siphon out a window w/ 3/4" clear vinyl tubing, and the pump says connected to hose.

nc0gnet0
12-28-2016, 01:06 AM
I've not seen a oil filled sump pump leak oil yet. If the oil would somehow get out, it would be very obvious, and float to the top of the water, not mix into it, and water would then get into the pump housing and short it out fairly quickly. The pump wouldn't work long if it would by chance leak.

-Leland

I have seen plenty leak, and they all have a little blow plug. The ones that are not filled with oil are clearly labeled "oil free".

nc0gnet0
12-28-2016, 01:16 AM
Are you talking about my pump?
If yes, says on the box all thermoplastic. Also says requires water to lubricate and cool, that tells me its all good!

hahah typing while you posted "hose"!

Is it a barracuda pump? Menards brand. Look on the top of the pump, is there a stainless steel screw recessed into it?

Neptune
12-28-2016, 01:26 AM
Is it a barracuda pump? Menards brand. Look on the top of the pump, is there a stainless steel screw recessed into it?

Yes, 1/4hp barracuda, Menards. I only noticed two screws on the top and they looked like they just held the handle on.
Now you got me worried man!!

nc0gnet0
12-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Yes, 1/4hp barracuda, Menards. I only noticed two screws on the top and they looked like they just held the handle on.
Now you got me worried man!!

this one?
http://www.barracudapumps.com/6913309.html

Neptune
12-28-2016, 10:52 AM
this one?
http://www.barracudapumps.com/6913309.html

That's the one! You're going to tell me they leak aren't you! LOL..

Can you suggest another one if so? Seems like most oil free are 1/6hp and the 1/4 ones really jump in price.

Neptune
12-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Just did a WC. The system worked great, actually easier and faster than the old method(and that was easy).
I LOVE standing next to to the tank and being able to turn on the pump!

I am going to swap out the oil filled pump for this one.
https://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-RUP160-Submersible-Multi-Purpose-Water/dp/B0009X8O2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482941935&sr=8-1&keywords=RUP160
I can get it locally for just a few dollars more than the oil filled.

clark12
03-24-2017, 06:06 AM
Just did a WC. The system worked great, actually easier and faster than the old method(and that was easy).
I LOVE standing next to to the tank and being able to turn on the pump!

I am going to swap out the oil filled pump for this one.
https://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-RUP160-Submersible-Multi-Purpose-Water/dp/B0009X8O2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482941935&sr=8-1&keywords=RUP160
I can get it locally for just a few dollars more than the oil filled.

well whats the outcome? i am in the process of looking for 2 different pumps. 1 being a sump to pump aged water out of a 55g barrel upstairs. i don't think that 1/6 hp wayne is big enough to do what i need but I'm curious to know how this is working for you. I'm pumping from the barrel up 12', across 35' and up 4' to tank. i will have hard pipe in certain areas that can stay but I'm unsure if i should stay at 1.5'' pipe until i get upstairs then 1'' or 3/4''..... or 1'' or 3/4'' all the way

Ryan925
03-26-2017, 03:50 PM
well whats the outcome? i am in the process of looking for 2 different pumps. 1 being a sump to pump aged water out of a 55g barrel upstairs. i don't think that 1/6 hp wayne is big enough to do what i need but I'm curious to know how this is working for you. I'm pumping from the barrel up 12', across 35' and up 4' to tank. i will have hard pipe in certain areas that can stay but I'm unsure if i should stay at 1.5'' pipe until i get upstairs then 1'' or 3/4''..... or 1'' or 3/4'' all the way

I use little giants all the time. Haven't for aquarium use but I use tons of them for other things. They are really nice durable pumps and come in many different sizes.

Leland F.
03-26-2017, 03:56 PM
I use a little giant aquarium pump on my separate tanks. Looks like this. I can attach a 50' or longer, 3/4" hose to the outlet union when needed. Pumps up to the 2nd level of our house 50' away, with no problems.108360

-Leland

Leland F.
03-26-2017, 03:58 PM
And can anyone please tell me how to post pictures in vertical orientation? I've tried everything I can think of. Lol

-Leland

Neptune
03-26-2017, 04:03 PM
the wayne is working out great for me but I go up about a flight and a half of steps then 4 feet up to the tank. You are going up 16' and a distance of 35'. Might be a bit much for that pump.

clark12
04-02-2017, 10:22 AM
I use little giants all the time. Haven't for aquarium use but I use tons of them for other things. They are really nice durable pumps and come in many different sizes.

i got my first pump. its a wayne pc4 external transfer pump. i can use this one to pull water out and put aged back in. I'm waiting on the rest of my parts for the 3/4'' tubing connections. once i get it hooked up and running i will post a pic. I'm psyched about this one. if it works as i thought i should be able to change 100% water in 15 minutes on my qt tank. my 75 main tank will be where i need to get the sump and a bit creative to get the water upstairs. i have a plan though