PDA

View Full Version : Very bright green algae

Doreamon
12-26-2016, 05:56 AM
Hi Everyone

I have noticed spots of very bright green, almost illuminous algae around the bottom of my discus the tank .What type of algae is it?
What the root of the causes and how to treat it?

Thanks in advance.
:huh:

LoGeek
12-26-2016, 06:48 AM
Might be caused by excrements left for too long...

Filip
12-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Hi Everyone

I have noticed spots of very bright green, almost illuminous algae around the bottom of my discus the tank .What type of algae is it?
What the root of the causes and how to treat it?

Thanks in advance.
:huh:

Hi Doreamon and welcome to forum.
I think that you have a cyanobacteria aka blue green algae on your tank bottom.
This algae usually occurs in a newly setup tanks where the nitrogen cycle isnt fully developed yet.
It is very soft and can be easily removed manually .

It would be nice if you can open a new introduction thread for your tank and discus and let us now how long this tank is been running , how many discus do you have , how often do you change water etc.etc.

bluelagoon
12-26-2016, 09:21 AM
It's really difficult to tell what kind of algae from the pics.It could also be (GSA) green spot algae or green dust algae.Usually caused by high light,low potassium and low CO2.Wipe it down and decrease the the light intensity and length of time down to around 8 hours for starters.Some algae is quite common in a healthy tank.

Neptune
12-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Tend to agree with Filip with cynobacteria.

How often are you doing water changes. Some of the nastier algaes really don't like water changes.

bluelagoon
12-27-2016, 11:07 AM
You can get rid of most algae by blackening your tank out from a light source for three days.But you'll have to fix the problem to keep it away.Take one of the three things away that algae need to reproduce.Lighting would be my first.Cyanobacteria usually doesn't occur in a bare bottom tank,but will.Substrate with silica is a ***** (female dog)in a new tank and cyano is quite common in those tanks until all the dust is removed with WC's.Cyano grows to look like sheets of algae.

bluelagoon
12-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Smell it then you'll know it's cyanobacteria.