PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

brandonmoss
12-26-2016, 06:47 AM
Hi,

My Tank has been cycling for 4 weeks now, using ammonia chloride. The Ammonia has dropped from 4ppm to 2 ppm in the last week or so but still no measurable nitrites? As far as my knowledge goes once ammonia starts dropping it should be turning into Nitrites? Is this correct? I have read using a fishless cycle it should take 3-6 weeks, the most part of that allowing the nitrifying bacteria to develop, so surely after 4 weeks i should have nitrites in the tank? I havent had any readings of nitrates either. Some clarification on that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Brandon

Akili
12-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Hi Brandon,try adding bottled nitrifying bacteria. something like Dr Tim’s Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria.

brandonmoss
12-27-2016, 12:26 AM
Hi Brandon,try adding bottled nitrifying bacteria. something like Dr Tim’s Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria.

Hi,
I have used bottled bacteria already, seachem stability, would this do the same thing?

Thanks

DJW
12-27-2016, 12:54 AM
When you first added the ammonium chloride to get 4 ppm, did you add it and then measure 4 ppm, or add a predetermined amount that was supposed to result in 4 ppm?

brandonmoss
12-27-2016, 10:58 AM
When you first added the ammonium chloride to get 4 ppm, did you add it and then measure 4 ppm, or add a predetermined amount that was supposed to result in 4 ppm?

I added small amounts until i reached 4ppm, measuring with API test kit. It remained at 4ppm for 3 weeks

DJW
12-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Well, unless there are plants in the tank eating the ammonia, the missing 2 ppm of ammonia should show up as nitrite or nitrate.

Three or 4 weeks is a long time to wait, but I think you will see something happen soon. I live on a farm and don't have a spotlessly clean house, so maybe there are nitrifying bacteria around to seed the tank. I have not used Seachem Stability, I've used TSS and Fritz-Zyme 7 and they both did a good job with the first part of the cycle and then there was a long lasting nitrite spike.

brandonmoss
12-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Well, unless there are plants in the tank eating the ammonia, the missing 2 ppm of ammonia should show up as nitrite or nitrate.

Three or 4 weeks is a long time to wait, but I think you will see something happen soon. I live on a farm and don't have a spotlessly clean house, so maybe there are nitrifying bacteria around to seed the tank. I have not used Seachem Stability, I've used TSS and Fritz-Zyme 7 and they both did a good job with the first part of the cycle and then there was a long lasting nitrite spike.

Okay i guess ill just wait it out haha, thanks for the advice

brandonmoss
12-29-2016, 02:18 AM
In the last 2 days nitrites have spiked suddenly, thanks for the advice 🖒

pitdogg2
12-29-2016, 03:08 AM
When biospiria made by Dr.Tim for marineland back when it had to be refrigerated I never ever got nitrite spikes. I'd get the amount needed for tank size add conditioner fish and the bacteria. It truly was done at that point. I never had that luck with Fritz7 not knocking it as it's also pretty good BUT different.