PDA

View Full Version : really liking the Bolivians!

Neptune
12-30-2016, 10:50 PM
I like these fish! Personality galore, the earth eater aspect is cool.
I think these two have eyes for each other!:heart1:
They really compliment a discus!

excuse the poo, end of a feeding and I do WC's in the morning.

BmoreBraap
12-31-2016, 11:56 AM
These guys are great looking. Are they a sexed pair? Think I need to add a few GBRs to my 125. How many typically do well in a community tank ?

Neptune
12-31-2016, 12:12 PM
These guys are great looking. Are they a sexed pair? Think I need to add a few GBRs to my 125. How many typically do well in a community tank ?

Don't know if they are really a pair yet, but after a couple days they are showing all the signs.
you can have as many GBR's as you want. They will beat on each other no matter the number! LOL..

LoGeek
12-31-2016, 01:33 PM
Those are Boliviand and not GBR right? Unusual coloration for Bolivians.

Neptune
12-31-2016, 01:35 PM
Those are Boliviand and not GBR right? Unusual coloration for Bolivians.

Bolivians for sure!

William1
12-31-2016, 02:37 PM
I have some too. Great fish.

Poppa Ryno
12-31-2016, 05:02 PM
I love rams. Nice bolivians.

Pices
01-01-2017, 09:33 AM
I have 4 Electric Blue Rams and 5 cory cats. The electric blues are a scrappy bunch!
I don't think I have a female so there is a lot of "ramming" in a 125 gal tank!
I can hardly wait for my discus to get a little bigger so I can add them to my 125.
I'll be watching your progress with interest so keep me posted. Hope all goes well.
Looks like you have a pair and will get to see more courting behavior-thanks for sharing and good luck.

Patty

Neptune
01-01-2017, 09:19 PM
the pair is hovering over a rock, one is cleaning it and one is defending the turf.

Should be interesting.

DISCUS STU
01-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Rams are great, I have four Germans, two Gold, one Electric Blue. All full of life, personality, and fight. They work out well in my planted 55 gal. with seven full grown Discus, assorted Neon and Black Tetras, Corys, etc. A real menagerie.

Neptune
01-01-2017, 10:56 PM
well they are a confirmed pair now. Started laying about 30 minutes ago.

RogueDiscus
01-02-2017, 12:02 AM
What are their chances there?

Neptune
01-02-2017, 11:50 AM
What are their chances there?

zero! LOL....looks like most of the eggs are gone this morning, light is not on yet but looks pretty barren back there.

Phillydubs
01-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Would;t they need o hatch to be truly confirmed? Or with rams can you tell or see a difference between male and female?

Neptune
01-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Would;t they need o hatch to be truly confirmed? Or with rams can you tell or see a difference between male and female?

There are differences in color, AND my google's says you can tell the difference based on the vent tubes...but I'm never any good at that!
Would two females hang out over the nest?
Light will come on an hour so I can check the condition, I think I still some eggs back there.

Ryan
01-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Both breeding tubes look female in the pictures above. Two females will definitely pair off and guard a nest.

Males usually grow long lyretail extensions on their caudal fins, and are often larger than the females. Yours have pretty rounded tails, though they could be young. They're still fairly small for Bolivians.

Neptune
01-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Both breeding tubes look female in the pictures above. Two females will definitely pair off and guard a nest.

Males usually grow long lyretail extensions on their caudal fins, and are often larger than the females. Yours have pretty rounded tails, though they could be young. They're still fairly small for Bolivians.

All the eggs are gone....someone had a good snack!

One actually does have extensions, they are just not that long yet.
I'll try to get some better pictures, but they are tough subjexts.

Ryan
01-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Females have them too, they just aren't as exaggerated as the males most of the time. But the tubes do look female.

Neptune
01-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Here is a series of picts I just took.
the last picture is the biggest of the 4, he is probably a 1/3 again bigger than the others, but he is NOT the one that paired up.
In fact, that one gets pushed around the most.

pictures two thru four are the ones that paired.

Neptune
01-02-2017, 06:15 PM
During the egg laying the one with the extensions had a much more pronounced tube.

Neptune
01-02-2017, 09:11 PM
After doing some more research and going by what Ryan says, I think I have three females and one male.
The one I think is the male was not involved with egg laying, in fact he is the low man on the totem pole of the group.

the one I think is a male is bigger and has a much smaller vent that is hardly visible.