PDA

View Full Version : Bloat question

Jhoussock
12-31-2016, 10:06 AM
I have a discus that I self diagnosed with bloat. He was healthy one day and just stopped eating and started to hide after about five days I realized his belly had become swollen. He's the smallest discus I have but eats the most. I put him in a hospital tank with epson salt last night. I woke up to large translucent chunks floating in water. They were well formed almost like terds when I netted them they were more like a gel/booger. Is this slime coat or is he passing some of what has him bloated?105445105446

Second Hand Pat
12-31-2016, 10:46 AM
He is passing that. It is not slime coat.
Pat

Jhoussock
12-31-2016, 11:25 AM
A good thing right? How long do I leave him in the epson salt? Until he starts to eat and seems back to normal? How often do I need to do water changes?

Second Hand Pat
12-31-2016, 11:35 AM
A good thing right? How long do I leave him in the epson salt? Until he starts to eat and seems back to normal? How often do I need to do water changes?

It's a start. Leave him in the hospital tank for a couple days and see if he eats. Continue to use epsom salts if he is bloated. I suspect you will need to add metro (500g per 10 gallons. 10 day treatment) at some point. Large water change every day and be sure to match the temp of the incoming water to the tank temp. Trying to keep any stress to a minimum.
Pat