PDA

View Full Version : Juvie Turqs from Canadian Aqua Farm

Jason.M
01-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 10 juvie turqs from Rick at CAF last week. 2 inch TL. All are healthy and in great condition. A few pics to share.

Phillydubs
01-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Really nice, good luck growing them out!

jawfish
01-05-2017, 11:54 AM
They are looking good. Great starting point for a grow out project looking forward to see how they develop.

brewmaster15
01-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Those fish look like they have a nice pattern starting. Be great to see them grow out . We can move this thread to the tank journal board if you want to document the growth. Let me know.
Thanks and enjoy the new fish from Rick!
Al

Jason.M
01-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Yes please Al, you can move this to the tank journal board. I'll update their progress as they grow out. Thanks.

Jason.M
02-03-2017, 08:54 AM
1 month Update: Had the fish for 5 weeks now. Doing great. Growing crazy fast. Seem like they doubled in size. And I only tried to kill them all once.
Not sure what I did, but when I went to the tank one morning they were all down and out and breathing heavy. I either forgot to dechlorinate during the water change, I bleach my barrel a couple times a week, but my prime was moved so I don't think so. Or, and what I believe happened, is I reached down in the back of the tank the night before to adjust a heater and possibly got some under arm deodorant in the tank. A few water changes fixed everything but they were looking down for a couple days and one of the juvies died the following day. Other than that, there is one other juvie that is still not back to 100% but all else seems fine. That was 10 days ago.
Colour really starting to come out. Some red has started showing and striations coming out in them.
They eat a lot.. all the time.... they will have swollen bellies and a half hour later they act and look like they are starving again. Been feeding them randomly a few times through the day, and a regular morning and night feeding with 1 or 2 50% wc's daily. On days I work they get 3 feedings, and 1 wc. I've been trying to get some pics or vid but the fish and my work sched are not working with me. Here's a quick phone shot of one or 2. I have 6 from the group that I really am liking.

bluelagoon
02-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Nice to see an up date.Glad your discus pulled though with what ever happened.Just on question tho.Why bleach your aging barrel on a regular basis?I have yet to clean my barrel and I've been using it for quite awhile.I live in the same area and it never gets slimy.The chlorine from the new water should sterilize your barrel every time you refill it.With an air stone the chlorine will be gone in a day,you can still use a bit of dechlor to be on the safe side.I often use no dechlor if the aging is more than a day.

Jason.M
02-03-2017, 09:28 AM
I'm on well water.

bluelagoon
02-03-2017, 09:54 AM
You don't need any conditioner then unless you bleach your well.

Ok I see what you mean you bleach you barrel because there some sort of organic material in the well.

Jason.M
02-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I bleach so nasties don't form in the barrel since it has water in it at all times. Also some wipe downs and wash outs once in awhile.