PDA

View Full Version : Hi all! My First Discus Tank Planning Stage -- HELP ME*

DYDave82
01-12-2017, 05:25 AM
1) Hello friends, I’m DYDave82. I’ve been an aquatic enthusiast for nearly three years now. I started the hobby very humbly keeping loaches. My first 15g Top Fin quickly became the five aquariums I keep today. I have heavily planted: 20g long, 46g bow front, and a 90g all well stocked with common to very rare rainbow fish, loaches, and pleco’s. I also have a DIY nano reef tank = 12g Fluval Edge that everyone told me would be impossible to keep stable without a seriously expensive setup that’s going clean and strong for over a year now. (Proud of that one :grin:)

2) I have no previous experience-keeping discus. I have watched many youtube videos about Discus keeping (I luv DIY and Dustin’s) and have read many posts here since recently joining the forum. :book:

3) Today marks the three-week mark of the start of my newest project: the conversion of an old drilled reef tank, specifically a 92g corner bow front that I’ve sealed and cycled thoroughly. I refinished and reinforced the old oak stand; it looks new now. The glass is in great shape except for the bottom that is all scratched up from many years of live rock scraping about. It’s filled with fresh Florida well water and has been cycled with a bio wheel from a Marineland 350.

4) I have a huge hollowed trunk of driftwood waterlogging under a boulder in the pond in the back yard. And yes, the plan is to make the driftwood the centerpiece for the new tank. Otherwise there is a thin layer of white sand on the bottom. No plants are planned for this tank in the near future. I was thinking of hiding the heater in the back-drilled reservoir that’s been plugged to give it a super clean look.

5) I spend two to three hours a week keeping my tanks sparkling despite being (arguably) overstocked. I am willing and able to feed twice a day and do water changes give or take – every other day. I usually do 50 to 60% once a week on my current setups. We have Florida well water that has a remarkably stable pH of 7.8. It’s rich in nutrients. I have contended with algae blooms in the past. (The bay windows don’t help.)

6) I’m running a Hydor Professional 600 Canister and a Coralife UV sterilizer connected to the return line. Why the sterilizer? It was sitting in the garage so I thought, why not.

7) Current parameters:

- Temperature is currently 75 – I need to install some heaters; some advice on a heater that will get the job done would be great; I’m guessing something with 300 watts – planned temp of 84

- Tank pH: 7.8

- pH of the water straight out my well: 7.8

- Ammonia reading 0ppm

8) I have contacted Hans and Kenny for stock. I am being patient as I need this driftwood log to finish leeching hundred year-old tannins and ‘who knows what else’ into my goldfish pond before I put it in the tank -- let alone with expensive fish in with it. My plan is to get six 4” Discus initially and then add singular larger specimens as they pop up online. Is this plan sound? I’ve been advised that 6 is the bare minimum for this size tank and that they may be very shy… Hans was telling me that small groups could have bully problems. Seems like even 6 is an awfully expensive start up cost. Hans recommended a minimum of 10 small. SIGH* that’s some $$$ :eek:

9) I plan on feeding pellets and beef heart. I’ll probably make my own beef heart mix. Ideas? There is currently 12 Rummy Nose Tetra’s in the tank as well as 3 Cory’s routing about. I hear they may become snacks? Also maybe thinking about a smaller variety of wood eating pleco to keep the driftwood nicely mowed…

10) My goal is simple: I want big, healthy Discus for my show tank and come what may after that. Thanks so much for the forums expertise – don’t hold back. =)

Leland F.
01-12-2017, 06:53 PM
The canister filter will require weekly breakdowns and cleaning, I wouldn't use it. You could use a small internal pump with some sponge filters on it's intake to recirculate the water from the plugged overflow to the tank for some biological filtration and some water movement. I do this in my display tank with a magdrive 9 pump with 3 Hydro sponge V's on the intake over a long strainer. I'd make sure the sand is silica sand, like pool filter sand, and not calcium based sand. You can test it in a small vial or glass with some vinegar if you're not sure. Lots of large, daily water changes, and quality food is what grows big discus.

-Leland

DYDave82
01-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Wow. Cleaning a Hydor 600 weekly? I clean my other one monthly lol. Is Discus doo doo the consistency of humans? :huh: I guess I would be feeding them way more protein than my rainbows... So a sump is the only way to go. Thanks so much for the info.

Neptune
01-13-2017, 07:42 PM
My eyebrows went up with the wood in the goldfish pond! I would be concerned with baddies getting on the wood from the pond.
Wood is very tough to sterilize.

Pices
01-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Hi Dave,
I'm by no means an expert here so I won't give you any advice except to say you came to the right place. These guys taught me everything I know about keeping discus. Thanks to the peeps here, I'm proud to say I have 10 beauts I'm growing up and they are so healthy and happy. I've had fish before, but these discus make my heart sing.
Some of the advice wasn't easy to swallow, but I'm so glad I did. Good luck and welcome!

Pices
01-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Oh and yes these discus can really poop-I call it pinching a loaf! They especially love to poop right after you are done siphoning off the poop. Lol

DYDave82
01-16-2017, 05:33 PM
LOL -- noted;)

Filip
01-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Hi Dave . Wecome to the forum and I wish you good luck with your new discus project.
The first and most important concern that I saw first through your text was contaminating your new and expensive discus investition.
First through the wood soaking in pond that needs to be thoroughly sterilized afterwards in order to make it safe , and second with your current other fish and plants that you want to introduce your discus to .

It would be safest to start brand new and sterile , only with your discus first .And afterwards when everything turns all right and your discus are more or less grown and adapted , you can add other stock , but only by following stringent 6 weeks Quarantine procedure.

DYDave82
01-18-2017, 02:50 AM
Yes I am feeling that I need to be very patient with this wood. It is huge ; a hollowed trunk -- I love it but I didn't have a body of water to sink* it in so... planning on starting 6 Kenny or Tan's in a 40g bb basic sponge filter setup for 2 months or more till wood is in place and I'm comfortable with its cleanliness...