PDA

View Full Version : What strains?

pmkappy
01-16-2017, 09:51 AM
I am going to order 8, 4-5" discus from Kenny next month and would like a colorful group. What would you suggest? Thanks, Paul K.

Second Hand Pat
01-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Paul, this choice is really a personal preference choice. However it might be a good conversation to have with Kenny since he might know what is coming in.
Pat

Phillydubs
01-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Paul,

I agree with Pat, it is hard to tell without knowing you or your likes.

Might be good to browse Kenny's last few shipments. You can get an idea of what he brings in and have a better knowledge of what you want or like

Jenene
01-16-2017, 07:22 PM
To add to that you will want to get on his shipment notification list. Usually near the first week of each month he sends out pre-shipment pics of the actual fish that will be arriving. You can choose and get your order in as soon as you see what you want. He sells out very quickly.

Here is the link to sign up. I still go in just to dream...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?121687-Kenny-s-Discus-Mailing-List-Monthly-Shipment-Notifications

Have fun, Kenny's fish are gorgeous. I have 8 of his beauties in a rainbow of colors.

CammieTime
01-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Blue Diamond, RGB, Alta Flora

DOJOLOACH23
01-20-2017, 12:06 PM
How many discus (2-3") would you recommend starting with in an empty 55BB tank?

End goal is 8-10 discus to have in there as a growout tank, but transfer to a 150 or 200 once adults.

Phillydubs
01-20-2017, 12:26 PM
That question is hard to answer without knowing your husbandry and WC schedule... Obviously the more diligent you are with that the more flexibility you have. Diligent you will want to be with such small fry as you will need a lot of water changes and feeding to get them where you want them.

It is also personal preference as to the look of the tank and if its just a grow out or if you want a look to it as it grows.

DOJOLOACH23
01-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Phillydubs, I was planning to do 50% Daily WC roughly with aged tap water. I could do more but the water would not be aged (This would be an additional 5-15% of total tank volume)

My thinking is... I can buy all of them at once, and save on a second shipping charge and have heavier starting bioload for the newly colonized beneficial bacteria of the tank. Or buy 6 at first and then follow up with 4 more later on once the first 6 are doing well.

Just don't want to watch all 10 die at once if purchasing all 10 is a difficult thing to manage with my stated WC schedule, and with it being a new tank.