PDA

View Full Version : Treating fungus on gills?

Dan99
01-17-2017, 11:30 PM
How long do you have him ?
About 3-4 weeks
How many discus do you have total ?
Did you bought them all together from a same source ?
Yes
Any other fish ?
No
Do others eat ?
Yes. All fish are eating properly
Symptoms:
Swimming with face towards top of tank occasionally. A little white bump on exterior of gills...(fungus?) going to upload photos with this. 105999
Temp: 86 F
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7.4
WC regime: Daily 60% + spot cleaning after feedings increased to 80% since I noticed the odd behaviour and bump on gills.
Feedings: 5 times a day, freeze dried blackworms/ bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, discus biogold, tetrabits

How would I go about treating this?

Phillydubs
01-18-2017, 09:24 AM
I recently used Seachem Paraguard for some external issues. It worked wonders for me and I would suggest it, but someone else may suggest otherwise, I am by no means an expert, especially with meds but like I said worked well for me and they say it is very mild for the fish. i dosed daily with daily big water changes, if you can do upwards of 80-90% i would

Leland F.
01-18-2017, 02:05 PM
It likely has gill flukes, and you are seeing a secondary bacterial infection that looks like fungus. Swimming near the top of the water is due to it not getting enough oxygen through its gills.

-Leland

DISCUS STU
01-18-2017, 04:34 PM
I recently used Seachem Paraguard for some external issues. It worked wonders for me and I would suggest it, but someone else may suggest otherwise, I am by no means an expert, especially with meds but like I said worked well for me and they say it is very mild for the fish. i dosed daily with daily big water changes, if you can do upwards of 80-90% i would

Paraguard is good stuff and gets the job done. Whereas Pimafix and Melafix seem to make better colognes than anything else.

Dan99
01-19-2017, 12:29 AM
If it is flukes will paraguard still work? It's strange that it has flukes because I treated the tank with Prazipro for the first week and a half.

Leland F.
01-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Some flukes take 3 seperate treatments to irradicate.

-Leland

DISCUS STU
01-19-2017, 12:32 PM
If it is flukes will paraguard still work? It's strange that it has flukes because I treated the tank with Prazipro for the first week and a half.

A good indication of flukes, short of doing a microscope slide smear, is if they are holding one gill open while the other is closed, a clamped pectoral fin may also be present. Sometimes people jump the gun on a gill fluke diagnosis when often the issue may be bacterial. In any event, Paraguard seems like a good treatment if it's bacterial/fungal.

pitdogg2
01-19-2017, 03:40 PM

paraguard will work on gill flukes. I would keep treating the tank for a month. I would also treat the fish in a dip as described on the Paragaurd bottle. The reason you will treat the tank so long is for the Fluke eggs that are hatching.