PDA

View Full Version : Lens Collar Tripod question

Discus-n00b
01-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Some of you may know better than me. I have the 100-400mm Canon lens which has the collar and foot to mount on the tripod. I know usually you would want to support the lens if it was heavier than the camera to not strain the lens mount area and to get a better center of balance possibly. But what if the camera is the same weight as the lens? Does it matter then? From my calculations the difference is about .2lbs between camera and lens. Put on an L-bracket or anything on the hot shoe and it may even out. Just wondering if It matters if I support the camera vs the lens? If not then I'm going to forgo buying a foot for the collar lol.

brewmaster15
01-29-2017, 03:26 PM
Tough question Matt, not sure this figures into the equation at all, but does the lens have image stabilization in it? In Pentax, its done in the camera body. I think canon has Lens stabilization?

al

rickztahone
01-29-2017, 03:37 PM
This is a super easy question Matt, get the foot collar for the lens. Thank me later bud ;)

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Remember that the lens collar has to be compatible with the head on the tripod.
Pat

Discus-n00b
01-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Al, yes it's an IS lens.

Thanks Ricardo, you are probably right especially on the balance part. Like I told Ricardo, was just looking at costs as I am about to buy a new body so trimming the fat where I could. It's probably worth the investment. And for clarification it's more of a quick release foot on the bottom of the collar foot I am talking about that will work with my ballhead, the lens has a collar and foot with a screw hole but no one has time for screws.

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Plus the screw becomes the weak point.

SMB2
02-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Lens with a foot plate should be mounted on the foot not the camera. While the coupling stress point may be +/- in your case, the foot plate mount is much steadier. (If you mount the camera, lense shake, wind etc will be magnified.) The balance point on the tripod is better as well.
Not sure saving the cost of a foot plate at the expense of the image is a good place to trim fat!

Discus-n00b
02-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Thanks Stan that is the conclusion I came to after texting with Ricardo. Going to get a generic fit QR plate so that no matter what Lens I get I can always fit the foot and mount it from there.