PDA

View Full Version : Discus medicine cabinet

WmTasker
01-30-2017, 03:54 PM
I am setting up a 125 for 10 discus. I plan on getting them all at the same time so I don't chance bringing in different bugs from different areas. Fist questions, should I treat the fish for anything when I first get them? Second, what medications should I have on standby in case of an emergency?

nc0gnet0
01-31-2017, 12:08 PM
I am setting up a 125 for 10 discus. I plan on getting them all at the same time so I don't chance bringing in different bugs from different areas. Fist questions, should I treat the fish for anything when I first get them? Second, what medications should I have on standby in case of an emergency?

What medications you should have on hand depends alot on what you have available nearby. The most important thing to have, before any medications, is a hospital tank. Do you have one of those?

bluelagoon
01-31-2017, 01:04 PM
Furan II and Metronidazole would be my pick to have on hand.

WmTasker
01-31-2017, 01:07 PM
What medications you should have on hand depends alot on what you have available nearby. The most important thing to have, before any medications, is a hospital tank. Do you have one of those?

I have a spare 10 and 20 gallon ready to go. I am going to have a few sponge filters in my 125 running to use if needed.

Furan II and Metronidazole would be my pick to have on hand.

Thanks

John_Nicholson
01-31-2017, 03:11 PM
Lots of clean water..................Since most people do not send in a fish to a fish pathologist to find out how to treat probably they normally guess at what is wrong and miss. In my opinion more discus are killed with meds than anything else.

-john

Lido
01-31-2017, 03:38 PM
Lots of clean water..................Since most people do not send in a fish to a fish pathologist to find out how to treat probably they normally guess at what is wrong and miss. In my opinion more discus are killed with meds than anything else.

-john

+1

Unless you have a microscope, lab test kits etc.. you're only guessing. Best way to rid disease, spare tank 100% water changes daily. Epsom salt is a good thing to have for bloat and constipation.

Clawhammer
01-31-2017, 06:25 PM
Potassium permanganate... Takes the guesswork out of treating external infections.

Skip
02-01-2017, 12:12 PM
if you all 10 fish from same sponsor/shipment.. no problem!!