PDA

View Full Version : First stage of cycle is happening (ammonia)

Ash92
02-03-2017, 08:14 AM
After a week of cycling and 48 hours ago I added food to my tank, it's now showing my ammonia at 0, 4 ppm on my QT tank and my main tank is at 0, 2 ppm how long till this goes and nitrite starts to come?

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Hi Ash, generally a cycle takes about six weeks. What did you start the cycle with a week ago? Pure ammonia? Sounds like you filled the tank a week ago, added nothing to the tank until you added food which cause the ammonia to register on your test. If true the your cycle started when you added food to the tank. Many here use pure ammonia (from the hardware store and without surfactants) to start the cycle. It is a lot cleaner then adding food plus you can control the amount of ammonia added to the tank. This will give you an idea http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/ammonia-instructions-for-a-fishless-cycle.19627/.
Pat

bluelagoon
02-03-2017, 09:24 AM
It'll take 4-6 weeks for a tank to cycle.You didn't mention what you started cycling with a week ago?If nothing the tank didn't start until the food started to break down.

bluelagoon
02-03-2017, 09:26 AM
I guess Pat answered before I hit post.

Ash92
02-03-2017, 09:48 AM
This is what I've bin using from the day I started it up 106684

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Hi Ash, is that a bacteria culture?
Pat

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2017, 10:03 AM
OK, found it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterlife-Bacterlife-500ml-x/dp/B00CCBRIIM and yes, it is a bacteria culture intended to jump start the cycle of a tank. But you still need to feed the bacteria with something that produces ammonia.
Pat

Ash92
02-03-2017, 10:12 AM
OK, found it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterlife-Bacterlife-500ml-x/dp/B00CCBRIIM and yes, it is a bacteria culture intended to jump start the cycle of a tank. But you still need to feed the bacteria with something that produces ammonia.
Pat

I've literally tried every were for the ammonia but can't find it were I live and for feeding the bacteria with ammonia that's why I added food to the tank

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Adding food to the tank should do that Ash but you need to continually feed the bacteria. Waiting a week most likely resulted in any bacteria dying. Are you continuing to add this product. Please note that I do not know if this product actually works. What food did you add?
Pat

Ash92
02-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Adding food to the tank should do that Ash but you need to continually feed the bacteria. Waiting a week most likely resulted in any bacteria dying. Are you continuing to add this product. Please note that I do not know if this product actually works. What food did you add?
Pat

It only says add for the first week of new tank so I done the last dose this morning and I've only added the food that one time 48 hours ago it's was hikiri pellets for Cichlids left over from my oscar

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2017, 10:44 AM
There are no fish in the tank right. Does the product assume the tank has fish?
Pat

Ash92
02-03-2017, 10:56 AM
There are no fish in the tank right. Does the product assume the tank has fish?
Pat

No fish in the tank mate and no I don't think the product assumes the tank has fish, not sure

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Does the product recommend feeding the bacteria colony?
Pat

Ash92
02-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Does the product recommend feeding the bacteria colony?
Pat

It don't say anything about that but it says... actively reduces ammonia, (bacterlife will not generate additional ammonia, a problem that may occur with other bacteria cultures ) (inhabits new tank syndrome)

DJW
02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Ash, were you able to find that ammonia product I linked to in your other post? That stuff looks like its just the ticket if you can get some.

Ash92
02-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201618991495
Will this do and isit safe do uno?

Ash92
02-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Ash, were you able to find that ammonia product I linked to in your other post? That stuff looks like its just the ticket if you can get some.

I can't remember what you suggested buddy

DJW
02-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201618991495
Will this do and isit safe do uno?

Here is another ad for the same stuff. It says "Suitable for fishless aquarium cycling."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230928834948

Ash92
02-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Here is another ad for the same stuff. It says "Suitable for fishless aquarium cycling."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230928834948

106692 this is what the description says that's in that ammonia bottle does it sound ok if so I'll order it now

DJW
02-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Yes, that is the right stuff to use.

Ash92
02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Sorted just ordered it, it will be here on the 8th the question is how do I use it lol and for how long?

Ash92
02-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Are you guys sure this is safe to use because it says cleaning product

MendoMan
02-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Are you guys sure this is safe to use because it says cleaning product
That's exactly what ammonia is. Just use your test kit and try not to go 4PPM.

Akili
02-03-2017, 03:55 PM
I've literally tried every were for the ammonia but can't find it were I live and for feeding the bacteria with ammonia that's why I added food to the tankIn U.K Wilkinsons/Boots/Homebase, most large stores that sell common home cleaning products will have pure ammonia

Ash92
02-03-2017, 04:15 PM
That's exactly what ammonia is. Just use your test kit and try not to go 4PPM.

What you mean try not to go 4ppm?

Ash92
02-03-2017, 04:17 PM
In U.K Wilkinsons/Boots/Homebase, most large stores that sell common home cleaning products will have pure ammonia

I've bin Wilkinson they didn't have none and boots don't have the other stores locally so I couldn't go there but I've ordered some ammonia of line read above what I ordered and tell me what you think as I like more than 1 person tell me ☺
http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=51746X1261823&site=simplydiscus.com&xs=1&isjs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F2016189914 95&xguid=97f9f08929b38c943164601dad77ff3f&xuuid=efa5ced2db38a8cce13fb435063bd097&xsessid=&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.simplydiscus.com%2Fshowthr ead.php%3F127642-First-stage-of-cycle-is-happening-(ammonia)%2Fpage2&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.simplydiscus.com%2Fforumdi splay.php%3F48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners&xtz=0

Akili
02-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Ash, I am at loss for ideas plus I am not sure if Kleen Off Household Ammonia contains surfactants, dyes, perfumes,or detergents. Read the label when it come in if it has do not use. I've got to believe household ammonia would be sold with the cleaning products in your supermarket also.

MendoMan
02-03-2017, 06:27 PM
What you mean try not to go 4ppm?

When you add your ammonia try not to go above 4PPM. I guess maybe I didn't mention it on your earlier post but on this site somewhere there is an excellent tutorial on fishes cycle. I know this has been driving you crazy for a couple weeks so see if you can find it, read it and do exactly what it says. It's really not hard. also if you can't find ammonia see if you can find Dr. Tim's cycle stuff. One of the products is a small bottle of pure ammonia.

hvangus
02-14-2017, 08:39 PM
Hello Everyone,
This is going to be my first try at this method. I have a 125 gallon with a 25 gallon sump. Do I remove all the driftwood from the tank and my filter socks? This scares me but I have lost my bacteria in my tank after switching from ro to aged tap. Keep this thread alive because I am sure I am going to have questions. I think its easier delivering calves in the middle of the winter than messing with these fish.

Thanks Bryan

Filip
02-16-2017, 04:37 AM
Hello Everyone,
This is going to be my first try at this method. I have a 125 gallon with a 25 gallon sump. Do I remove all the driftwood from the tank and my filter socks? This scares me but I have lost my bacteria in my tank after switching from ro to aged tap. Keep this thread alive because I am sure I am going to have questions. I think its easier delivering calves in the middle of the winter than messing with these fish.

Thanks Bryan

Bryan this thread is about a fishless cycle method using ammonia . Its about when you start your new tank from the scratch.
If you already have or had fish you don't need to use this method and switching from RO to Aged tap can't wipe out your filter bacteria , so don't worry about recycling your already cycled tank .

hvangus
02-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Ok what should I do/ I have a Ph 7.4 ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. Huge bacteria Bloom and has been like this since switching. I have moved all fish to other tanks. One positive my fish are doing great in the other tanks. I will take any advice at this point

Filip
02-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Ok what should I do/ I have a Ph 7.4 ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. Huge bacteria Bloom and has been like this since switching. I have moved all fish to other tanks. One positive my fish are doing great in the other tanks. I will take any advice at this point

Change more water to clear your tank bacterial bloom .
Put some fish from the same tank discus are in and feed them and and change water for 2-3 weeks until your bacteria bounce back .
Once the water gets constantly clean put the discus back .
At least this is what I would do Bryan.

hvangus
02-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Filip,
Before I took all the fish out I was changing 90 gallons of water every other day. I have been doing this for 6 weeks. my discus became so stressed they were hiding in the corner not eating and slamming into the glass. This is when I decided to take them out and put them in other tanks. I have 6 in a 75 and 3 in a 40 and they are eating like pigs and taking it out of my hand. The only other fish I have is 15 neon's. So, I don't think that is enough fish to help the tank. I have about a 150 gallons of water including my sump. This is keeping me up at night and driving me crazy.

DJW
02-21-2017, 03:16 AM

When you changed to tap water the tap probably has better conditions for bacteria to bloom out. It takes a while for things to find a balance, but 6 weeks is getting to be a long time for a tank to stay cloudy. It will drive you crazy and the next day its gone.

If you can fill in some of the background and describe some details about the tank someone here can help you sort it out.

How long has the tank been fishless now? If you can leave it fishless for a while then no water changes and start feeding ammonia to get the cycle back.

The water is clear in the other tanks and its just this one tank that has been cloudy for 6 weeks?
Do the other tanks get the same water, have the same gravel or sand?
Have you tried carbon?
What is the KH and GH of the tap and tank water?

Filip
02-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Bryan , if the 15 neons are already mixed with your discus , I would transfer them as a cycle starter and a scape goats in your 150 G.
They would be enough to start the BB colony in case it was completely wiped off with your current changes.
Keep them and feed them for 20 days in your 150 G and monitor NH3, NO2 and No3 presence to confirm a full cycle .
After this you can put back your discus again , but change water daily and monitor above parameters in the first 2 weeks until your BB colony multiply accordingly to the added discus bioload .

hvangus
02-21-2017, 12:13 PM
I have had the fish out for 9 days. My other tank are not clear they are cycling and getting big water changes everyday. Fish are doing great and eating like pigs. In the big tank they were so crazy and always hiding in the corner.
The tanks get the same water and I don't use carbon. I took most of the sub straight out (eco complete gravel ), I left just enough in the tank to cover the bottom and I have some driftwood. My other tanks are BB
My large tank is still running with no fish

Filip
02-21-2017, 01:02 PM
If you have taken out a deep eco complete substrate layer that can be the trigger for your mini cycling issues and bacterial blooms you experience.
Just wait it out with some diether fish in it and once it gets stable put back your discus again .

hvangus
02-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Filip,

I have been cycling with ammonia and was doing great. I started out adding enough to get to 5-6 in about 4 days the tank was falling back to almost zero. so I would add more ammonia to raise back up. Nitrites were off the charts for about 6 days and nitrates were off the charts, so process working great. I thought tonight ammonia is 1 nitrites 0 and nitrates 0 I haven't even done a water change so what happened?

Bryan

Filip
03-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Filip,

I have been cycling with ammonia and was doing great. I started out adding enough to get to 5-6 in about 4 days the tank was falling back to almost zero. so I would add more ammonia to raise back up. Nitrites were off the charts for about 6 days and nitrates were off the charts, so process working great. I thought tonight ammonia is 1 nitrites 0 and nitrates 0 I haven't even done a water change so what happened?

Bryan

Sorry for my late response Bryan , but I think something's wrong with your test results.
If you put 5-5 PPm ammonia it has to go somewhere or be converted in No2 and No3 . It can not disaapear without a WC .
I would check the test kits for a start .

hvangus
03-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Ash,

It is real hard to use food to cycle your tank because of consistency. Get your self some ammonia with no dye or surfactants. Adding ammonia will allow you to keep your ammonia level consistent until the cycle is complete. I just finished up a 150 gallon cycle and it went real good. How large are your tanks that you are trying to cycle?

MendoMan
03-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Ash,

It is real hard to use food to cycle your tank because of consistency. Get your self some ammonia with no dye or surfactants. Adding ammonia will allow you to keep your ammonia level consistent until the cycle is complete. I just finished up a 150 gallon cycle and it went real good. How large are your tanks that you are trying to cycle?

He can't find ammonia anywhere that's been his biggest problem.

Coffee1stLife2nd
03-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Hi Ash, generally a cycle takes about six weeks. What did you start the cycle with a week ago? Pure ammonia? Sounds like you filled the tank a week ago, added nothing to the tank until you added food which cause the ammonia to register on your test. If true the your cycle started when you added food to the tank. Many here use pure ammonia (from the hardware store and without surfactants) to start the cycle. It is a lot cleaner then adding food plus you can control the amount of ammonia added to the tank. This will give you an idea http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/ammonia-instructions-for-a-fishless-cycle.19627/.
Pat

thanks for the link it does give a better understanding on how using ammonia works to cycle a tank..