PDA

View Full Version : Kanaplex Seachem

relliott
02-04-2017, 03:11 PM
I've recently had an outbreak of a bacterial/fungal infection that infected almost all of my discus. After two weeks of salt and furan2 and fluvaline treatments I've now begun with Kanaplex. The disease I'm convinced was contracted from tibiflex worms that were sold to me as California black worms. They are indeed not the same, though they may look similar. They are derived from entirely different sources the Black worms being cultured and cleaner. Anyway after much anxiety and the possibly loosing everything the Kanaflex finally appears to be having some effect in clearing things up. The difference between Metro and Kana is that the later is absorbed though the fishes skin and Metro is generally ingested for best results. Hopefully this will help someone who is experiencing difficulty treating bacterial infections with symptoms such as cloudy/pop eye and ick like symptoms.
After one dose (two days) the product is working better and I'm expecting a full recovery. The furan was somewhat effective but didn't cure it entirely. I'll continue with the recommended second dose starting today.

Akili
02-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Sounds like your are getting back on track, keep us posted and if possible please post some before and after pictures

relliott
02-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Picture when I returned from five days out of town. A LFS was taking care of things.. also supplied the tubifex worms.106712
Same fish following treatment. I'm amazed they made it through this episode!

Akili
02-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Rick, Treating Discus in a planted tank is not the most effective way. Do you have another tank in which you can quarantine these fish in? A smaller tank will take less medication and is easier to maintain daily water changes.

relliott
02-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Thanks Akili for the follow up!

I did treat all fish (15) in a 30 gallon. Cloroxed all the tanks including bio media (matrix) and a mild solution on the plants themselves. Im sure you can appreciate the anxiety that such an outbreak produces fur an aquarist.
Lesson learned as I likely transferred the pathogens from my hands to the various tanks including a fry tank.
Thankfully everyone appears to be ok. Not clear if they will ever breed successfully again following all this as I had two pairs in the lot.

Best-

Rick

Akili
02-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Rick,looks like recovery is in process just keep up daily water changes and provide clean food and a word of caution do not bomb the fish with lots of medication as I am sure you are aware that too much medication damages internal organs of the fish.

relliott
02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Someone spawned again last night, could'nt determine who as there is a male who is pretty persistent with the two confirmed females. In hindsight I'll stay with Albany Aquarium, Albany CA which has a better understanding of discus.
It appears that we may have a full recovery. Sure hope so. One female does have a damaged eye. If that's the worst of it I consider myself lucky. Daily water changes are underway. Third and final round of Mana as is the suggested dose.