PDA

View Full Version : Auto focus ?

brewmaster15
02-06-2017, 08:43 AM
I was thinking about the gear I use and how I use it and realized that when it comes to autofocus I really don't use it or need it. 99.9 % of my photography is in manual mode often with lenses that are so old they don't have autofocus (AF) or the AF is so slow because they are old. I have some newer lens with decent AF and my digital camera bodies have mult functional AF like pretty much all Digital SLR's do...but Again. I rarely use it.

Often times photography beginners use AF so much they don't learn their gear past the "green" user friendly, camera does it all for you, mode. As we get more into the hobby the advice of the experienced photographers is to put the camera and lens into manual for more control and better pictures.

When you think about it, its really kind of silly. New Cameras and lens cost huge sums of money because they are so technically advanced with auto features ...and yet most of the time we chose to put the camera and lens into Manual modes that really make it little different than when film slrs came out in full force 40-50 years ago. Technically most of the "tech" we pay for isnt used!

When do YOU use autofocus? The only times I use it are when I am lazy and its a family function or event. I also sometimes use it for action where I would use multi bracketing in hopes of catching the action. I often walk and hike with the camera in AF if the lens supports it as I may only have a few seconds to document an animal or bird before it disappears...but I switch to manual immediately after that documentation. I can see using it in portrait work....though I would probably manually focus there as well. It can be useful if your camera supports "catch in focus"...where you set it up and the camera takes the picture when an animal or bird or other moving object comes into view. I haven't used this feature but can see its merits.

I NEVER use it for macro pics as its better to manual focus there,imo. I also.never use it for landscape as I like to select my points of interest. I don't use it for animals and birds generally as I find better results in manual mode .When I shoot architecture or structural images I use manual as it gives me better control over what I want to emphasize.

I am sure there are plenty of other times when AF is useful but as I said.... most of my lens just dont have it or if they do, I can focus better and faster. So my question then is when do you use AF and why?

Al

Second Hand Pat
02-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Good subject Al and I admit that except for macro I rarely use manually focus and the other rare time or two. I have found that many things, birds etc are so quick that I am simply lucky to get the shot. I wouldn't stand a change trying to hold a long lens and trying to manually focus. Now a tripod would be different and working on becoming more tripod savvy.
Pat

SMB2
02-06-2017, 09:31 AM
I can't disagree with your examples for utilizing manual focus. Certainly macro is probably the biggest reason to switch to the M focus mode. Landscapes in my mind can be done in several ways. I will often AF on the subject I have in mind and then turn off AF while I recompose. But, I "Back Button" focus so the same thing can be accomplished by using AF on the BB and recomposing. With distant subjects that are stationary one could argue that the camera is as accurate as your eye at determining a correct focus.

Camera companies have spent a tremendous amount of money on R and D for today's AF systems. Speed of acquisition, focus tracking, focus lock on, phase detection focusing have all greatly improved how a camera can focus. The problem is that the jargon/learning curve on how to use most of the present high end focusing systems is mind numbing for most people so they don't take full advantage of what a camera has to offer. If one is going to shoot any fast action and get reliably in focus images, it is best to know and use the AF system your camera offers. I think it would be almost impossible to shoot birds in flight with a long lens and manually focus. I know some "old timers" that can do it well but they are an exception.
If given a choice when shooting action, between my reflexes and the cameras, when it comes to focusing, I'll bet on the camera! No way could I track jousting Skimmers (that fly like fighter pilots) and manual focus.
Like any advanced tool knowing all it has to offer and when to use any given component will lead to the most productive results.

brewmaster15
02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Stan, I can see your point on the action shots and do agree with using it there. But also I think it depends on your camera and lens. You can have the most highly advanced dslr but if your AF lens isn't as advanced, Im not sure that AF will necessarily be any better or worse than manual. For instance my k3 camera is very advanced. My pentax F 300 4.5 is an awesome piece of glass....tack sharp. Being decades old though the AF is slow.. and the lens is heavy. I am best with this one on a tripod and manual mode.
I have a tamron 70-200 F2.8 that has a much better AF capability....and that on my k3 is a good combo.

I guess what I am trying to say is... spending a fortune on a camera with hi tech AF isnt going to help you much if the lens you are using doesnt .I think people find that out the hard way. High end cameras generally need high end lens to make the most out of what they have tech wise.

Al

SMB2
02-06-2017, 10:19 AM
I might reverse that thought. The glass is the key element in a sharp image. So the camera is just recording what comes through the glass.
I have some 20 and 30 year old lenses that I use all the time but they are perfectly functional on Nikon's latest high end DSLR body. Is the glass made today better? I don't know, but the old lenses take great images so I am not forking out the bucks just to have the latest version that focuses a tad faster.

I do believe that one has to be careful about matching older lenses on newer camera bodies. I think newer sensors and image in camera computing often is designed for the latest iteration of that company's lenses. A 10 ten year old 500mm f4 lens from Nikon does not focus as sharply on a new D5 body as their newest 1 year old 500mm lens.

aalbina
02-06-2017, 10:43 AM
My wife and I have spent a lot of time on the edges of wrestling mats taking pictures. My youngest is an NCAA wrestler in his senior year and we have had to 'work' the gear in order to get good shots. A typical wrestling venue is a large gym, maybe some windows high up on a wall, 6 mats of differing colors covering the floor, florescent or tungsten lighting high above, very rapid action with lots of movement, lots of people in the background and the tourny's start at 8:00 am run until it's dark so lighting changes all day. We use a Canon 70D and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (I think) and a Canon Speedlite 430 (I think).

I'm the technician and my wife is the photographer. I set it up and she has the artful eye. When the pictures aren't what she wants she hands it to me to 'fix' and I fiddle with setting and hand it back to her to try. (I really have a terrible eye for photography - she has an excellent eye - but doesn't know what 'exposure' even means...). I set it on AI Focus for her so it will constantly refocus as the action moves around the mat. Tough on batteries but it helps get the shot. You never know when the shot is going to come - having to manually focus all the time - when you can't really get the aperture where you want it because of the conditions - would result in lots of blurry pictures. So she puts the cross hair on their nose and bangs away. She takes some awesome shots.

Adam

brewmaster15
02-06-2017, 11:01 AM
My wife and I have spent a lot of time on the edges of wrestling mats taking pictures. My youngest is an NCAA wrestler in his senior year and we have had to 'work' the gear in order to get good shots. A typical wrestling venue is a large gym, maybe some windows high up on a wall, 6 mats of differing colors covering the floor, florescent or tungsten lighting high above, very rapid action with lots of movement, lots of people in the background and the tourny's start at 8:00 am run until it's dark so lighting changes all day. We use a Canon 70D and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (I think) and a Canon Speedlite 430 (I think).

I'm the technician and my wife is the photographer. I set it up and she has the artful eye. When the pictures aren't what she wants she hands it to me to 'fix' and I fiddle with setting and hand it back to her to try. (I really have a terrible eye for photography - she has an excellent eye - but doesn't know what 'exposure' even means...). I set it on AI Focus for her so it will constantly refocus as the action moves around the mat. Tough on batteries but it helps get the shot. You never know when the shot is going to come - having to manually focus all the time - when you can't really get the aperture where you want it because of the conditions - would result in lots of blurry pictures. So she puts the cross hair on their nose and bangs away. She takes some awesome shots.

Adam

Hey Adam,
Long time my friend!:) hope the PhD is going well! Thanks for the input here! You guys should share some of those pics sometime here on SD in the Open Discussion board.. I would love to see them. I have little experience with Sports Photography myself but can definitely see where a Good AF camera and lens system would be useful!
al

aalbina
02-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Still plugging away at the PhD - finished course work and I'm working on the dissertation now. I'll find some good ones and post them. Mary uploads them all to facebook and the wrestlers take them for their profile pics. They especially like the ones that make them look all jacked up and muscles popping or if they are lifting or throwing a guy and she catches them in the air! Very tough conditions for photography - the pro's setup a bunch of lightening flashes all over the gym and then remote control them at the camera. A really fast lens would help a lot - but I can't spend 1,200 on a lens!

Looking at all the discus photo's has me really missing these fish!

Adam

Discus-n00b
02-06-2017, 03:43 PM
I use auto focus for any motion or fast subjects. Macro is always manual. And Landscapes are a mixture depending on the landscape and whats out there. My eyes sadly aren't what they used to be even at 30, and even adjusting the camera viewfinder I still find myself having a few problems with manual focus. Thankfully auto focus systems are getting better and better and assist me if I just can't quite get it perfect. And agree with above, it depends on the lens as well. Some just aren't as snappy to lock on as the newer versions with the updated tech. They can still work perfectly fine, but if you are trying to capture a bird in flight or a car driving by, it might take longer depending on the lens choice.

I think my general consensus is if I'm hand holding the camera, the chances of me using Auto Focus go up tremendously. I'm moving, the camera is moving, the subject is likely moving....it just makes to much sense. If the camera is on the tripod I'm generally shooting stuff I could take my time with and manually focus on.

brewmaster15
02-07-2017, 12:11 AM
....My eyes sadly aren't what they used to be even at 30, and even adjusting the camera viewfinder I still find myself having a few problems with manual focus. .. I can relate Matt. I lost use of my dominant eye about 10 years ago. I almost gave up photography. I had to train my other eye to take its place. It was frustrating at best.

One thing I dislike about current dslr's is they assume you will be shooting AF...so they come standard with flat matte focusing screens. A split focusing screen works better for manual...especially with old manual lenses. I use these on alot of my cameras..thankfully Pentax focusing screens are easy to change.

Hth,
Al