PDA

View Full Version : The Doors.

SMB2
02-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Sometimes it is a good idea to shoot out of your comfort zone. I like animals, birds and motion, so architecture is not a strong suit. But, I was just on a trip with my wife and two grown children to Mexico and Dad's usual camera stuff was banned! So I took one camera body, a 24-120mm lens and snuck in my tripod.
We wanted to revisit the city of Merida, capital of the Yucatan. We spent a lot of time walking and eating our way through the city and visiting the surrounding area with its ruins and small towns. Mayan history is fascinating and the food is not too bad either. Merida is a city with lots of faces. The center part has fallen into disrepair but is now being revitalized as some of the old colonial homes are being bought and restored, many by US expats. We got to see the inside of some of the finished projects...amazing.
Anyway, one evening while the rest of the family was recovering from climbing the ruins, I decided to give myself a photo assignment. So I walked the streets to photograph doors!
These were all taken on a tripod at sunset with an f stop 11-13, ISO 200 and shutter speeds between 2 and 10 seconds (as it got darker). I need to try some further processing to render some of the images with a "grungy" look, but here are some of the images that I have looked at so far.
If you haven't picked up a camera in a while, give yourself a project and go shoot. You will be surprised how the juices start flowing and the images may teach you something.
These images aren't difficult, but the doors had caught my eye during our walks so I wanted to try and photograph them.

Second Hand Pat
02-07-2017, 11:10 AM
I like your idea of shooting outside the comfort zone Stan. Some of those doors must have been something in it's hay day.
Pat

RogueDiscus
02-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Very interesting. Can you explain why some of your equipment was not allowed?

rickztahone
02-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Very interesting. Can you explain why some of your equipment was not allowed?

I think he simply meant that it was his family that asked him to not take all the heavy duty equipment. This has happened to me many times which is why i bought the Nex6, for easy travel when the "big guns" are overkill, lol.

brewmaster15
02-07-2017, 12:55 PM
I really like these alot. I'm not great at taking pics of structures and shapes and architecture but I like to try. The patterns, colors, and textures of these doors are really something else. Simply Beautiful Stan, They are keepers in my book. Great subject matter!!

al

Discus-n00b
02-07-2017, 01:45 PM
These are great! Isn't it interesting how doors can be a focal point in other countries you visit? They seem to tell a story, or hold information about whats inside. I noticed doors while traveling in the military, especially in Morocco. So many bright vibrant blue doors flanked by beautiful artwork of some sort. They are an interesting and unlikely item of culture that many often pass by.

pitdogg2
02-07-2017, 02:06 PM
those look like the belong in El Salvador in the 80's lol

tough shots I'm sure

SMB2
02-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Can you explain why some of your equipment was not allowed?

Not a political reason!;) My family knows my propensity to travel with lots of photo gear. This was a family vacation not a photo shoot. There was so much street photography, I could spend a lot of time behind a camera in Merida. As it was we had a great trip celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary (and I took a few pictures...).

Al, the biggest challenge was squaring up the frames. Nothing is level; not the doors, the walls or the street. I also want to "over process" these as I could see four small framed prints as a nice colorful cluster on a wall.

Lido
02-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Very nice. My wife and I have considered Visiting Merida. We have done 4 trips to the Yucatán. We have stayed in Playa, Akumal, Cancun and Cozumel. I know this is a bit off subject but how was the trip? Any highlights/low points or advice?

SMB2
02-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Oh, and behind the red doors, the Merida AutoZone.
I think I found a replacement grill for my 1977 VW Dasher.

Think what Al could do with a camera store!

SMB2
02-07-2017, 03:21 PM
I know this is a bit off subject but how was the trip? Any highlights/low points or advice?

I've spent a fair amount of time diving in Akumal and Cozumel (admittedly decades ago). Merida is a completely different scene. We rented a house and did not stay in a hotel. Send me a PM and I can fill you in.

Second Hand Pat
02-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Oh, and behind the red doors, the Merida AutoZone.
I think I found a replacement grill for my 1977 VW Dasher.

Think what Al could do with a camera store!

I bet Al would keep it all too himself :D lol.
Pat

brewmaster15
02-07-2017, 05:30 PM
I bet Al would keep it all too himself :D lol.
Pat

Lol...yes I probably would!

RogueDiscus
02-07-2017, 06:21 PM
I just have to say, every time I see this thread, I expect to see something about Jim Morrison.

brewmaster15
02-07-2017, 07:21 PM
I just have to say, every time I see this thread, I expect to see something about Jim Morrison.

Lol..I thought that when I saw it too..:)

Al

SMB2
02-07-2017, 11:28 PM

I just wanted to "light your fire" with the title.