PDA

View Full Version : Clean a cycled tank with sponge filter

xxalanxx
02-08-2017, 12:03 AM
I am cycling a new tank in preparation for a new shipment from Kenny. The tank is 29G w/ a sponge filter. I'd like to know how should I clean the tank when the tank is cycled and the fish arrives. In my understanding, the sponge will be the host of the bacteria. How should I clean the sponge filter? I am using a canister in my current tank so I am new to this.

Keith Perkins
02-08-2017, 12:17 AM
You shouldn't have to do a whole lot of tank cleaning for a little while, other than your water changes. After a couple weeks or so fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3rds full or so with tank water and squeeze out the sponge filter in that. No specific number of squeezes required, I probably do about a dozen. Then just rehook up the sponge filter to your air supply line and put it back in the tank, your good to go.

Filip
02-08-2017, 10:28 AM
You shouldn't have to do a whole lot of tank cleaning for a little while, other than your water changes. After a couple weeks or so fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3rds full or so with tank water and squeeze out the sponge filter in that. No specific number of squeezes required, I probably do about a dozen. Then just rehook up the sponge filter to your air supply line and put it back in the tank, your good to go.

+1 .

Just keep up with big WCs at the beggining stage I.e. first month of your cycle untill the beneficial bacteria numbers reach equilibrium with the ammonia levels available in water column.

xxalanxx
02-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Understood. Thanks for the advice :)