PDA

View Full Version : Velvet in Neighboring Tank

Clawhammer
02-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Hi all. I added 4 dwarf gouramis to my planted tank about a week ago, which sits about 6' from my discus tank. The ended up having velvet. My question is, besides the normal handwashing / cross contamination prevention, should I be doing anything else to prevent my discus tank from becoming infected? Add salt maybe?

By the way, I used PP on the gouramis and they all came out of the 4 hour bath completely free of the gold dusty coating caused by the velvet. I am hoping the rest of the tank won't become effected, so far so good. If anyone has experiences with velvet to share I am all ears!

Thanks!

Lido
02-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Didn't anyone teach you to quarantine all fish? lol

Clawhammer
02-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Didn't anyone teach you to quarantine all fish? lol

Lol, what is this quarantine you speak of? never heard it mentioned, haha. Actually, my LFS is usually pretty awesome (Wet Spot), they have an offsite facility where they quarantine everything for a month before moving to their store. No centralized water system either, all standalone tanks. I have never got a sick fish from them (except discus) so I let my guard down.

I do stick to quarantine rules for discus, or any fish > $25

bluelagoon
02-09-2017, 10:46 AM
I would treat the whole tank.Either with heat,darkness and salt or malachite green and formalin,but hard on plants.

Clawhammer
02-09-2017, 11:09 AM
I would treat the whole tank.Either with heat,darkness and salt or malachite green and formalin,but hard on plants.

Thanks for the response Mervin. Its been about a week since I got the fish and none of the other fish have begun flashing or have broken out. The gold dust has not yet come back on the PP treated fish. My plan is to keep the tank dark, daily 50% water changes, and keep a close eye on them for a few days. Trying to avoid meds in the main tank as I have lots of nice plants and sensitive fish. If it spreads or comes back on the treated fish I am going to rethink the approach. So far so good.

Lido
02-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the response Mervin. Its been about a week since I got the fish and none of the other fish have begun flashing or have broken out. The gold dust has not yet come back on the PP treated fish. My plan is to keep the tank dark, daily 50% water changes, and keep a close eye on them for a few days. Trying to avoid meds in the main tank as I have lots of nice plants and sensitive fish. If it spreads or comes back on the treated fish I am going to rethink the approach. So far so good.

I'm glad it's working out. In all of my trolling i totally forgot to offer any advice or wish you luck. It sounds like you have it under control. Keep us updated.