PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Sword

LizStreithorst
02-11-2017, 04:13 PM
I bought one 9 years ago for my display tank at the shop. It has become a monster. It looks like it is actually 2 plants if I look at the base. I've heard that these don't move well but I know nothing about plants. I'm a BB type of woman. If I split it in half will the half I take out live so I can give it to my LFS or am I better off just cutting of that half of the plant and tossing it.

I need to do something. The tank it's in is a 125 but the plant takes up a good 1/3 of the tank. I planted it 9 years ago in well rotted goat poo covered with gravel.

rickztahone
02-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Is it in some kind of soil? Amazons have a crazy root system.when you uproot it, there will be a mess. Try turning filters way up to get rid of the gunk.you can split it in half no problem

Akili
02-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Does the plant have runners?

LizStreithorst
02-11-2017, 05:17 PM
It's in rotted goat poo topped with gravel, Ricardo.

Naz, it's shooting out baby plants left and right. Can you tell me how to pot the babies to take to the LFS?

Akili
02-11-2017, 05:42 PM
It's in rotted goat poo topped with gravel, Ricardo.

Naz, it's shooting out baby plants left and right. Can you tell me how to pot the babies to take to the LFS?How to propagate Amazon Sword (with pics)...................http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/how-to-propagate-amazon-sword-with-pics.74029/

LizStreithorst
02-11-2017, 06:50 PM
How to propagate Amazon Sword (with pics)...................http://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/how-to-propagate-amazon-sword-with-pics.74029/

Thank you.

Filip
02-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Liz , I wouldn't try to cut the rizhome type of plants in half for a progression and dividing purposes.
Even if you get away with it the plant will be severely harmed .
This type of plant divide through runners they shoot around the mother plant , so you can cut runners and replant once they reach 1/4 of the mother plants size .

If the Sword is too big for your tank I would just cut the half of the leaves with scissors down the base of the plant and get the desired haircut :) .
HTH , Liz and enjoy the hairstyling ;-).

BTW . I'm curious . Do you keep discus in this goat poop bottom tanks ? Arent ammonia , nitrite and phosphate levels screaming from the poop leaching organics in to the water column ?

LizStreithorst
02-19-2017, 10:30 AM
No. No Discus in that tank. Goat poop was over 5 years old when I put it in. The tank has been running for 9 years. I tested the water for ammonia before I added fish. It was 0. I added a ton of baby angels to grow out and had no problems with them.

Crockett
02-19-2017, 11:42 AM
A friend on mine gave me a very large amazon sword last year that he had for years, it thrived in his tank and was beautiful. However I did all I could but it never really adapted to my tank. I was so disappointed, because it looked so nice until is started to decline.

navarro1950
02-25-2017, 04:45 AM
Liz try asking on the planted tank forum if you haven't cut that Amazon yet. I would love to see a picture of it in your tank if you have it.

LizStreithorst
02-25-2017, 09:56 AM
I got rid of over half of it by cutting it off at the base. It had spawned a baby that had grown to adult size that didn't yet have a huge root system. I was able to pull it. The tank looks much better now.

navarro1950
02-26-2017, 01:04 AM
Did you mix the goat poo with soil ? I'd like to try that with my swords .

pitdogg2
02-26-2017, 01:19 AM
A friend on mine gave me a very large amazon sword last year that he had for years, it thrived in his tank and was beautiful. However I did all I could but it never really adapted to my tank. I was so disappointed, because it looked so nice until is started to decline.
Many times the die back before they take off again. Sounds like that was not the case in your situation.