PDA

View Full Version : Are spotted Ralphael compatible with Discus

Mark N
02-13-2017, 12:53 PM
I was thinking they might make a good clean up crew???

Kyla
02-13-2017, 01:42 PM
i would go with a different species for clean-up crea, such as a little school of the sterbai corydora. the raphael catfish is nocturnal and could stress the sleeping discus as it rummages around at night. plus the raphael prob won't appreciate the higher temp of the discus tank, which could stress and weaken it leading to illness down the line.

pitdogg2
02-13-2017, 03:08 PM
Kept one for years with a lone Discus in a 30gal tank. I believe it(catfish) was the only thing keeping my GIANT sword plant alive. When I got rid of the Raphael Catfish the sword starting dying. The Discus lived just fine until i switched gears 2yrs later. That catfish would get in amongst all the big leaves and root out all the discus food that got caught. The Discus would follow it around the plant and scarf up all he'd miss. The sword took up most of the tank and was much taller that the tank it was huuuge.

Mark N
02-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Hmmm? Undecided as I feel he may do well with the Discus, and eat what the Cory cats miss or don't care for. A concern is for my killi fish and cardinals. Will they be safe with Ralphael?

Kyla
02-13-2017, 06:27 PM
raphaels have huge mouths... i would bet $ you lose your small fish...

Mark N
02-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Thank you for the input. Any other suggestions for clean up crew?

Mark N
02-14-2017, 09:46 AM
How about a banjo cat or two???

banks2
02-14-2017, 10:37 AM
I have 2 spotted Ralphael in my tank, had them for at least a year.They are great fish to have with my Discus and never bothers anyone. I just purchased another one a few weeks ago and will be adding to my tank when its time. I don't feel like the temp is an issue.